Main dining room menu after Covid.

fred549

Just now, stellarose said:

I think it would be like the hub. you don't need wifi for the hub.  at least we did not on the breeze in 19'

Thanks. It has been SO LONG since I have cruised and so much has happened in 2020 that I am starting to forget the exact details. 

16 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

It might be nice at that! Thanks for the memory.

Horn__Hardart_Times_Square_New_York_circ

Memories of being in NYC and my mom bringing me there for .50 lunches, watching my food choices rotate around until I picked which I wanted.  TY.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies. I was asking about the food itself. Not the menu you read. I thought I read somewhere that Carnival has a 5 year contract with food suppliers. Then they change the dining room  food after the 5 year period. 

On 1/24/2021 at 8:34 AM, pe4all said:

Hope not.  Don't like carrying my phone with me on ship.  Like to "disconnect" a bit while cruising.  The menus on all the ships I have sailed on sometimes were a bit grungy from use so paper wouldn't be much of a hassle for us.    The again, we always sanitize our hands after touching them - paper or not.

I too as well like to put the phone down, especially at meals (although I use it as a camera when out and about) - but I fear this is the way it will go because it is the most safe. 

On 1/24/2021 at 7:01 PM, Farts said:

I would prefer this. Enable wifi for me to download the menu. It would save on burning more trash. 

On 1/24/2021 at 7:02 PM, stellarose said:

I think it would be like the hub. you don't need wifi for the hub.  at least we did not on the breeze in 19'

Technically, you use the Wifi to access the HUB app.  If you haven't paid for a plan, it doesn't let you go any further than the shipboard local content and to Carnival.com (I think).

QR codes via the HUB app seem like a logical solution for those comfortable with that level of tech, and disposable paper copies for those that use their CD burner tray as a coffee cup shelf or still have AOL.

😉

• Haha 1

John Heald said this week on one of his Facebook videos that with all the changes going on due to COVID the last thing they plan on doing is changing the menu and adding to the changes. 

The focus is getting onboard and sailing, then once the kinks are out, the menus may change

Also-  as far as using QR code on phone, I find menus hard to read (old eyes) and moving the page on my phone side to side, up and down is very time consuming - especially when I have to make the words so large - lol!

• Like 1

Just now, pe4all said:

Also-  as far as using QR code on phone, I find menus hard to read (old eyes) and moving the page on my phone side to side, up and down is very time consuming - especially when I have to make the words so large - lol!

I've been using my 10.5" ipad when we go out to dinner...lol...

I think a paper menu delivered to the cabin would make sense. They already have printed ads for the art auctions, spa stuff, etc. They would only need 1 per cabin and if people want to bring it along,  no problem. Phone can be a backup option in the dining room, as well as a copy posted outside of the dining room.

As I do now. Use the app to check the menu. I hope most people can see the time saving by knowing what's on the menu before entering the MDR. 

Usually get my 2 courses in 45 minutes in MDR & then go to lido/Buffet to get same dessert..

1 hour ago, Hunter69 said:

As I do now. Use the app to check the menu. I hope most people can see the time saving by knowing what's on the menu before entering the MDR. 

Usually get my 2 courses in 45 minutes in MDR & then go to lido/Buffet to get same dessert..

I can't eat 3 courses so I'm the same. I check the menu before going in to see if its something I want, if it is, I go order a starter and main then get a dessert or snack later.

If it isnt, I try and sneak into a speciality dining place.

21 hours ago, RiotAct said:

Hand sanitizer

No worries, there will be plenty of it. We were on the last Horizon cruise before the shutdown and they had hand sanitizer dispensers everywhere. And each one was manned by a crew member encouraging everyone to use them. I can still hear them calling out, "Hand sanitizerrrrrr!" LOL I'm sure they'll be doing the same once cruising resumes.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

No worries, there will be plenty of it. We were on the last Horizon cruise before the shutdown and they had hand sanitizer dispensers everywhere. And each one was manned by a crew member encouraging everyone to use them. I can still hear them calling out, "Hand sanitizerrrrrr!" LOL I'm sure they'll be doing the same once cruising resumes.

On NCL it is "washy washy happy happy" as you enter buffet as they sprayed your hands with sanitizer.  Never thought I'd miss hearing that!

17 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

I dount it will be any different this time. Moreover, I think that now it will be a rule to have all this on board. Well, I see it as a positive thing.. however, I am surprised that such things were not offered before 

2 hours ago, pe4all said:

On NCL it is "washy washy happy happy" as you enter buffet as they sprayed your hands with sanitizer.  Never thought I'd miss hearing that!

😄 That's so much better than "hand sanitizerrr!" I can still hear them in my head though, accent and all. Carnival had the dispensers on a stand and they'd just stand beside them.2454.jpg

I had to laugh one time because I walked outside by Blue Iguana, used the hand sanitizer station there, then walked over to Guy's. I got my meal, my condiments, and a drink, then was going back inside to sit. The girl at the sanitizer station on that side wanted me to use it. I had my plate in one hand, drink in the other, so I look down at my stuff. She reached out & wanted to hold everything for me while I sanitized. I kindly explained to her that I had just used the one on the other side and she let me go. I thought, that's odd. For one, it was a bit late to make me sanitize after I've already gotten my entire meal and handled things. But mainly, I was supposed to let a stranger handle my plate & cup (no gloves) while I sanitized my hands? Seemed a bit counter-productive. She meant well, but even without covid, I don't want to hand my plate of food & drink off to a stranger before I eat it.

• Haha 1

If Carnival is smart, they will reduce the number of items for meal selections to expedite service. Then offer 3 dining times, rather than 2 to allow for distancing. 5pm/ 630pm/8pm. Should not be a problem as all the tables would not be used each seating. Now I know people are going to balk at not have a huge selection, it makes sense to expedite food and service. 

As for menus, they should deliver each room a paper menu to each room, no later than 1pm. One side the menu, one side next day spa specials, art auctions and other advertisements. This for those of us that do not with to carry a phone. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 1:35 PM, Organized Chaos said:

Hopefully passengers will be better about than the passengers on Royal. There were hand sanitizer machines and the crew would stand outside the buffet with a pump bottle to give everyone. A LOT of people ignored them, even when the line was at a stand still they just wouldn't take it. Not only were the rude to the employees, but it was baffling why they were so set on not using it.

But even if they do, I'm like the previous poster who said they wash/sanitize even after getting their food. I notice not only are people handling the spoons that refused the hand sanitizer, some think they have to lick their fingers every time they touch something...which means now their spit is on the spoon as well 🤢

So if any of you see someone spooning food from the buffet with a napkin, and then use hand sanitizer once they sit down --- it's probably me (or a relative) LOL! (IF we ever have buffets again)