Carnival leaving San Diego...again???

embarkation75

As several folks noticed, all cruises out of San Diego through 2023 are gone from the website in a similar fashion to San Juan. While the Miracle still shows up out of San Fran for the summer Alaska cruise season, absolutely zero for San Diego. Maybe it is a website issue but following the pattern Carnival has displayed over the last year with other ports being removed,  doesn't make it look good for San Diego.

I lived in San Diego for over 35 years and have sailed out of that port and also Long Beach.  I've never understood why Carnival would choose to home port out of Long Beach over San Diego.  I would guess the proximity to Disneyland would be a major draw but there is no comparison to the beauty of San Diego as it cruises down the bay, past Point Loma and out to the ocean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cushing985 said:

I lived in San Diego for over 35 years and have sailed out of that port and also Long Beach.  I've never understood why Carnival would choose to home port out of Long Beach over San Diego.  I would guess the proximity to Disneyland would be a major draw but there is no comparison to the beauty of San Diego as it cruises down the bay, past Point Loma and out to the ocean.

Carnival has been in THE LA area since mid 1980's and moved to Long Beach in mid 2000's....  thats why!!    more people fly into LAX 

• Like 1

My booked cruise for Feb 2022 has disappeared from the search page  - it was San Diego to Hawaii on the Miracle.  Still shows under "Manage" as a booking though.   We planned on getting off the Panorama in Long Beach and getting down to San Diego to sail in a B2B so to speak.   Wonder if they're just juggling things around (different ship maybe) or if it's going to be a no-go.   Also not listed under Journey's cruise or Sailabration.....  

San Diego is a great town, but it lacks the population to support large cruise ships. There is also the problem of a smaller airport and fewer national and international destinations when compared to giant LAX. Carnival LLC has kept offices in Los Angeles for Princess lines, and have made a heavy investment in the Long Beach Sea Port. They could be considering moving Miracle full time to SF to capture the Alaska and Hawaii crowds there. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Moviela said:

They could be considering moving Miracle full time to SF to capture the Alaska and Hawaii crowds there. 

Never say never but I doubt San Fran will be a year round cruise port for Carnival unless they start running cruises to Cabo and Puerto Vallarta as the Alaska cruise season is a summer only venture while Hawaii is going to be for only a very limited crowd.

2 hours ago, Cushing985 said:

One of my absolute favorite ports to sail away from, so beautiful. I miss it so much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We just booked the Hawaii Miracle for next January 2022... This past week. My sister wanted to join us and I couldn't find it and put in a cruise compete request and was told it is no longer an option. We were really looking forward to this cruise. I would be sad but ok if they switched ports.

Miracle is currently in Long Beach according to Marine Traffic.

I'd have a hard time seeing what benefit there would be in basing Miracle in Long Beach full time, other than that Carnival Cruise Line already has the terminal. It seems like it would be unnecessary expense to rearrange all of Miracle's sailings.

The ship just came out of drydock days before everything shut down, so it's not a great candidate for selling, even though it is the same class vessel as Costa Atlantica and Costa Mediterranea, both of which are headed to the Chinese joint venture.

I suppose Australia could be in play, but they seem no closer to return to cruising than the US. There's also the aspect of dealing with Canada (or Mexico) since the PVSA limits options on repositioning from Hawaii.

2 hours ago, tidecat said:

Miracle is currently in Long Beach according to Marine Traffic.

I'd have a hard time seeing what benefit there would be in basing Miracle in Long Beach full time, other than that Carnival Cruise Line already has the terminal. It seems like it would be unnecessary expense to rearrange all of Miracle's sailings.

The ship just came out of drydock days before everything shut down, so it's not a great candidate for selling, even though it is the same class vessel as Costa Atlantica and Costa Mediterranea, both of which are headed to the Chinese joint venture.

I suppose Australia could be in play, but they seem no closer to return to cruising than the US. There's also the aspect of dealing with Canada (or Mexico) since the PVSA limits options on repositioning from Hawaii.

I can see the Miracle being moved to LB until the Radiance arrives. Most likely November. Which would work out since the CDC has the 7 nights or less order that expires at that time. Carnival can easily run 3/4 days on the Miracle and 7 night on the Pano, all out of LB. 

Wow we just checked the Carnival Web site & our October 15 .2022 Hawaii ,15 night cruise from San Diego is no longer listed as a viable cruise  .So here we go shopping again 

Need to phone the TA & let him know to get back our deposit 

52 minutes ago, SOCACRUISEGUY said:

I can see the Miracle being moved to LB until the Radiance arrives. Most likely November. Which would work out since the CDC has the 7 nights or less order that expires at that time. Carnival can easily run 3/4 days on the Miracle and 7 night on the Pano, all out of LB. 

I'm seriously doubting the Radiance will ever run any cruises from the West Coast. At this point the ONLY ship that I'd put money on existing out of CA is the Panorama. We all knew there was going to be a dramatic downsizing in cruise options for several years due to this pandemic but still hard to watch booked cruise just disappear years in advance. This is a sign for all of us to buckle up as the next few months could get even uglier as the cruise industry deals with very real solvency issues.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SOCACRUISEGUY said:

If it's Pano then it has to be Mira, fair is fair. 😉 

Edited by sanmarcosman

9 hours ago, SOCACRUISEGUY said:

Heald just confirmed the Miracle is taking over the 3-4 day cruises out of Long Beach.  Goodbye San Diego.

12 minutes ago, bond24seven said:

Just got a letter saying my Carnival Miracle 15 night to Hawaii (November 26, 2022)  will now be departing from Long Beach instead of San Diego. It will now be a 14 night cruise.

Yup.

Carnival Miracle's planned seasonal service from San Diego has been suspended until further notice, and sailings out of San Diego that were available for sale through April 2023 have been cancelled, with the exception of seven voyages to Hawaii, which will move to Long Beach.

Carnival Cruise Line Releases Additional Plans On Fleet Deployment (yahoo.com)

9 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Wow we just checked the Carnival Web site & our October 15 .2022 Hawaii ,15 night cruise from San Diego is no longer listed as a viable cruise  .So here we go shopping again 

Need to phone the TA & let him know to get back our deposit 

Miracle is moving to Long Beach.   Cruises are being changed to 14 days.   Cost of lost cruise day is being pro-rated by Carnival and a $200.00 OBC.   No need to do anything apparently - they're changing all reservations - you may have an e-mail by now.

My question is will it still have the Journey Cruise now out of Long Beach still have 5 stops in Hawaii? My guess is it will because of looking at past cruises it looks like long beach did have 5 stops and not 4 like san Francisco 

Edited by jdevine

1 minute ago, jdevine said:

My question is will it still have 5 stops in Hawaii?

Good question. If they drop the stop in Ensenada we'll all be in violation of the PVSA and be charged a penalty by the U.S. government I imagine. Maybe Carnival will pay the penalties for us or they may get a PVSA waiver. 🙂 

24 minutes ago, jdevine said:

My question is will it still have the Journey Cruise now out of Long Beach still have 5 stops in Hawaii? My guess is it will because of looking at past cruises it looks like long beach did have 5 stops and not 4 like san Francisco 

Yes a 5 stop cruise is still doable from Long Beach.

Back in 2011 we did Hawaii on the Spirit with 5 stops from San Pedro which is only 10 minutes from Long Beach.

Our 4 day August has been changed from Radiance to Miracle. My only concern is that we got an ocean view on the Radiance with cabins above and below...I don't think the miracle has any, they all have main area above or below. Ugh..I am a light sleeper...but its only 4 days so..

I booked a cruise for my girlfriend’s birthday in November 2022 and just got notification it’s canceled along with everything else out of San Diego. That’s really too bad because I live here and it’s convenient, but even the bigger picture than that is that it’s a beautiful port and a beautiful city.

Instead of having a port in the middle of an industrial area, you’re walking distance to downtown San Diego, so it’s a destination in and of itself. It’s really unfortunate that they chose to do that. Do you think they could spare one ship to do San Diego itineraries, wouldn’t you?

Edited by Stockjock

We had a Hawaii booking for October 15 ,2022 on Miracle from San Diego ;which is a  35 minute Uber to the pier & back to where we live . Uber cost to Long Beach is far more money both ways which is a  pain  a  . Additionally ,neither the Panorama or Radiance have as much passenger space between pax as did the Miracle  ,chances are will cancel this cruise . We already booked Feb 2 ,2022 Hawaii ,18 night on HAL's Koningsdam ;which is a far better ship with far less pax  & built in 2016

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

I booked a cruise for my girlfriend’s birthday in November 2022 and just got notification it’s canceled along with everything else out of San Diego. ...It’s really unfortunate that they chose to do that. Do you think they could spare one ship to do San Diego itineraries, wouldn’t you?

Not long ago, Carnival has two ships in San Diego.

There are still 10 other ships to choose from:

Norwegian Jewel

Disney Wonder

Zuiderdam

Koningsdam

Silver Cloud

Celebrity Millennium

Star Breeze

MS Roald Amundsen

Eurodam

Nieuw Amsterdam

Edited by EddiesToys
edit
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, EddiesToys said:

Not long ago, Carnival has two ships in San Diego.

Yes and when asked by the Carnival Corporation the Port of San Diego expanded the cruise terminal facilities only to have Carnival nearly abandon San Diego. It's a shame because the new check in and waiting areas are sleek glass modernist architecture mostly relegated for use as catering space.

89-cdd16e659a24c.jpg

Broadway_Pier.jpg

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 1