Cruise from Baltimore, fly out of DCI?

Cruisesfun65

Good morning. I have a question....

The only reasonably priced flight after our cruise (getting to Baltimore port) is out of DCI in Washington DC. 

Flight is at 5.30 pm, so we have enough time, but besides Uber/Lyft, what other options are there for a ride from Port to airport?

13 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Did you mean Reagan Airport, DCA?

I would book Super Shuttle or Towson or similar... look up the Airport shuttles for BWI and call and use their web site or call to see if they will do that route for you.

Yes, DCA.

Thanks!

I would do Uber or Lyft. Any transportation from Baltimore to Washington can be expensive so you might lose any flight savings. An alternative would be Amtrak or MARC commuter rail but you would have to take an Uber or Taxi to the train station from the port and the same from train station to the airport. 

You are sure you checked all your flight options?  Usually flights from DCA are more expensive than flights out of  BWI.  Of course flight options may be  a cluster f now. Given that the Baltimore cruise port is closed with no opening in site it might not be prudent to be booking flights yet. I doubt there will be cruises out of Baltimore until very late 2021 or 2022. By then there will be other flight options. BWI is a big SWA hub.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I would do Uber or Lyft. Any transportation from Baltimore to Washington can be expensive so you might lose any flight savings. An alternative would be Amtrak or MARC commuter rail but you would have to take an Uber or Taxi to the train station from the port and the same from train station to the airport. 

You are sure you checked all your flight options?  Usually flights from DCA are more expensive than flights out of  BWI.  Of course flight options may be  a cluster f now. Given that the Baltimore cruise port is closed with no opening in site it might not be prudent to be booking flights yet. I doubt there will be cruises out of Baltimore until very late 2021 or 2022. By then there will be other flight options. BWI is a big SWA hub.

Thank you,  our final destination can only be reached by American Airlines, so we are forced to book their flights. 

We don't do Uber nor Lyft, that's why I posted for alternative. 

Super Shuttle doesn't service DCA and Go Airport shuttle is $83 per person. 

Tough decision.

I guess it depends on how adventurous you are then. And how many people and how much luggage.

You've got all kinds of time, so that's good. Cab to Baltimore Penn Station or BWI Station (not BWI). MARC or Amtrak to Union Station. Probably not too different time or fare wise. MARC is commuter rail, so limited luggage space, but cheaper. If you're talking a weekend arrival, probably fewer option. Hang out at Union Station for awhile, maybe grab a bite, etc., then Metro Red Line towards Shady Grove to Gallery Place/China Town (2 stops). Transfer to Yellow Line towards Huntington to National Airport (can be confusing). Schlepp you bags to the terminal.

Or Uber...

Shuttles are going to charge you per person as you've already found. You need a single vehicle (only 2 of you?). Cabs are on the meter from BWI, so that's around $100 with no traffic. You can book Black Car through the Super Shuttle web page for about $75 for a standard and $80 for a minivan. Those are both from BWI. The rate probably goes up if you book from the cruise terminal, probably more than the cab ride to BWI.

Uber and Lyft have taken over this space in this area. Not being willing to use Uber is going to limit your options dramatically. The car services are running around $150-160 on that trip, and I'm guessing that's mostly corporate accounts. Uber should be around $50 or so.

If you're willing to drive, price out a on way rental. Depending on day of week and time of day, it's a fairly easy drive. BWI Parkway to DC 295 to I-695. I-395 South over the river and exit to the airport.

2 hours ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

Thank you for the suggestions. My mother is 78 years old, I'm not putting her through that kind of adventure. LOL. 

Since we don't use Uber, I'll continue looking for shuttle options. 

Uber and Lyft have really taken over ride share here. I don't know why you won't use them but I do all the time with no problem. An Uber X will cost you $75 from the port to Reagan Airport. You can simply take a taxi if you won't Uber. That fare would be about $110 plus tip. If they don't cheat you. Unfortunately some Baltimore cabbies are unscrupulous. I experienced an attempt at that myself from the port of Baltimore but the driver failed as since I am from the area I know the local laws and was able to rebuff the attempt. 

Edited by Charles4515

16 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Uber and Lyft have really taken over ride share here. I don't know why you won't use them but I do all the time with no problem. 

We are from outside of the United States and I can't install the Uber nor the Lyft App on my phone from here. 😞

1 hour ago, Nitemare said:

If you gave us some specifics, like ultimate destination, we might be able to help.

You could add the Lyft or Uber app when you arrive here if it is banned in your country.  They are available outside the US

Even if Uber is not available in their country I believe they can install the app there. I have installed taxi apps while in Europe that are useless in the US.  They also could install it when they arrive in the US.. Perhaps they don't have an international cell plan. The specifics would be helpful though. If they are flying out of DCA then the only international destinations I know of are Bermuda, Bahamas and Canada. 

If their flights are available now to book then their cruise would be in 2021. I fly AA all the time and they don't open flights until 330 days out. Not much chance a cruise out of Baltimore will happen in 2021. Our state is very cautious. 

Edited by Charles4515

7 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

If they are flying out of DCA then the only international destinations I know of are Bermuda, Bahamas and Canada.

Direct, I'm pretty sure that's correct. DCA only has international arrivals from pre-clearance locations, and I'm pretty sure those are the only outbounds as well.

Obviously there are connections out of Philly or JFK, although I'd probably just go the extra miles to Dulles for direct flights!

15 hours ago, markeb said:

Direct, I'm pretty sure that's correct. DCA only has international arrivals from pre-clearance locations, and I'm pretty sure those are the only outbounds as well.

Obviously there are connections out of Philly or JFK, although I'd probably just go the extra miles to Dulles for direct flights!

It is simplest to fly out of BWI from the port of Baltimore. American Airlines does fly out of there. I have done that. From my home location in Maryland in the DC area I look up flights from Reagan, Dulles and BWI as they are each about 35 minutes from my home. I can drive to the cruise port in 45 minutes. Nonstop flights are my priority. I will pay more for a nonstop. Even hundreds more. I have done international flights from Philly, Newark and JFK to get a nonstop flight. I have taken Amtrak and local rail to PHL, NWK and JFK. Without the details of where they are flying to we are somewhat in the dark about their best options. If it has to be DCA and Uber is not an option a taxi would be my choice.

Edited by Charles4515

On 1/26/2021 at 8:32 AM, Cruisesfun65 said:

Good morning. I have a question....

The only reasonably priced flight after our cruise (getting to Baltimore port) is out of DCI in Washington DC. 

Flight is at 5.30 pm, so we have enough time, but besides Uber/Lyft, what other options are there for a ride from Port to airport?

Your flight time is a massive red flag, unless you are taking about your flight happening the day before the cruise. With DC area traffic, 1 major collision can take the travel time for DCA to PoB from 1 hour to 4 hours (I've had to sit in the backups). You are dealing with some of the heaviest trafficked roads for both local travel and interstate travel. While there are 2 highways between DC and Baltimore, they are already above capacity during rush hours from 3p to 7pm.

12 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

Your flight time is a massive red flag, unless you are taking about your flight happening the day before the cruise. With DC area traffic, 1 major collision can take the travel time for DCA to PoB from 1 hour to 4 hours (I've had to sit in the backups). You are dealing with some of the heaviest trafficked roads for both local travel and interstate travel. While there are 2 highways between DC and Baltimore, they are already above capacity during rush hours from 3p to 7pm.

As mentioned in the original post,  the flight out of DCA is at 5.30 pm AFTER  our cruise.

So from Port to the airport, I believe to have ample time.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

As mentioned in the original post,  the flight out of DCA is at 5.30 pm AFTER  our cruise.

So from Port to the airport, I believe to have ample time.

Let's say you are off the ship by 830-- as you mention you do have a bit of time. As a slightly lower cost alternative you could take a taxi to Baltimore Penn Station and take Amtrak or MARC to Washington Union Station. You could then have a leisurely lunch and then take another taxi (or Uber if you can install it when you get here-- I highly recommend it as the taxis are nothing to write home about) over to DCA around 3pm for your 5:30 flight. 

Assuming that Covid restrictions will be relaxed or gone by then, there is plenty to do in and around Union Station-- its a tourist attraction in and of itself. The Capitol Building is also a very short walk and its very visible from the front of the station. 

Could be fun to use the little bit of extra time to your advantage. Whatever you do, don't show up to DCA early. Airport services are significantly less than most major airports and its not a comfortable place to hang out in. 

The cab from Union Station idea is the easier alternative from my Metro idea. Look up Union Station online. It’s a very interesting location, and there are some decent lunch options. A lot of it’s fast food, but it’s a fun place to sit and have lunch. There are better places on the street outside, but it’s easy to sit and eat in Union Station. Take turns stepping outside; you’re about two blocks from the Capitol. 

15 hours ago, markeb said:

The cab from Union Station idea is the easier alternative from my Metro idea. Look up Union Station online. It’s a very interesting location, and there are some decent lunch options. A lot of it’s fast food, but it’s a fun place to sit and have lunch. There are better places on the street outside, but it’s easy to sit and eat in Union Station. Take turns stepping outside; you’re about two blocks from the Capitol. 

I actually pre covid took the metro to Union Station often to have lunch at the Shake Shack location there. (I live walking distance from the Red Line) My favorite chain type  burger place.  Since it is a large Shake Shack with seating upstairs and also on the main floor there was always seating available unlike some other SS locations. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
36 minutes ago, Ellusionz said:

I don't use ride shares often, but don't they allow you to request from their websites too? Or does that forward it to download the app?

You can request an Uber or Lyft from their websites. 

Edited by Charles4515