How about starting with round UK cruises and pick up at multiple ports

Windsurfboy

This may sound a silly idea, but given quarantine restrictions,  how about starting with a month or more of round UK cruises, but with embarkation at multiple ports around country.  Southampton  Dover Hull Edinburgh  Glasgow  Liverpool Bristol.  Not suggesting all of these, but if the ships are going round UK could have two or three embarkation ports. Make life easier for many  people. 

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

This may sound a silly idea, but given quarantine restrictions,  how about starting with a month or more of round UK cruises, but with embarkation at multiple ports around country.  Southampton  Dover Hull Edinburgh  Glasgow  Liverpool Bristol.  Not suggesting all of these, but if the ships are going round UK could have two or three embarkation ports. Make life easier for many  people. 

Sort of a ferry service? (only joking).

Each batch of embarkations would need to undertake a lifeboat drill, so be a lot of lifeboat drills in a short cruise.

It would certainly make life easier for many people, and save on coaching/trains for those a long way from So'ton or Dover.

Muster drills shouldn't be too much of an issue as MSC and Costa regularly pick up passengers at different ports for the majority of their cruises and don't have an issue. I can see round Britain cruises to be some of the first to start here just not 100% About the picking up from different ports

1 hour ago, Jack McGowan said:

Muster drills shouldn't be too much of an issue as MSC and Costa regularly pick up passengers at different ports for the majority of their cruises and don't have an issue. I can see round Britain cruises to be some of the first to start here just not 100% About the picking up from different ports

Cunard used to do something similar in the 1990s. In 1995 I sailed on Vistafjord round trip from  Harwich. Most passengers had already embarked at Hamburg, the previous port and the first port on their cruise. They left when we reached Hamburg again, a new batch of passengers then boarding to join we Brits until we were disembarked at Harwich.

Edited by Denarius

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

Cunard used to do something similar in the 1990s. In 1995 I sailed on Vistafjord round trip from  Harwich. Most passengers had already embarked at Hamburg, the previous port and the first port on their cruise. They left when we reached Hamburg again, a new batch of passengers then boarding to join we Brits until we were disembarked at Harwich.

Ooh - Harwich takes me back a bit. We used to sail from there on the Ocean Majesty - praying that it would not be raining when we returned, as all the luggage was lined up waiting for us in the open air car park.

It was a nice easy terminal, though.

On 1/27/2021 at 8:57 PM, Denarius said:

For the benefit of anyone who does not know, Vistafjord was later renamed Caronia then sold to Saga, with whom she sailed as Saga Rose.

20 hours ago, Denarius said:

For the benefit of anyone who does not know, Vistafjord was later renamed Caronia then sold to Saga, with whom she sailed as Saga Rose.

The Caronia (originally named Vistafjord) launched on the Tyne in 1972, was the last ocean liner to be built in the UK. She was renamed Saga Ruby when owned by SAGA.

The Saga Rose was originally named Sagafjord, built in France in 1965. She was renamed by SAGA when purchased from Cunard .

I have happy memories of cruises on both the Ruby and the Rose.