Free at Sea - Clarification needed - First Timer

ScratchTheRat

Hey all :)

Booked my first ever NCL cruise (woohoo) and just wanted some clarification on a couple of things.

1. We are 3 adults in a cabin and got the free drinks package for guest 1&2. Does guest 3 HAVE to buy the package at full-price or can he go without and just buy drinks when he wants to?

2. Can I use my drinks package to get a drink and give it to guest 3?

3. Guest 1 & 2 have free speciality dining, can guest 3 come along and pay the normal cost?

4. Can we use the free drinks deal in the main dining room, all the bars etc, including specialty restaurants and Ice bar?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

You're not supposed to share your drink package, but you CAN get more than one drink at the bar and once you walk away how are they to know who's actually consuming it?  If you get caught, though, they will suspend or terminate the drink package.

3 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

3. Guest 1 & 2 have free speciality dining, can guest 3 come along and pay the normal cost?

Sure.  The entire table does not have to be on the SDP in order to dine together.  However, if they're going to come along, why not just grab an add-on SDP for them to match yours so you don't have to think about it?  Depending on the restaurants you go to you can easily get your money's worth from it.

5 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

4. Can we use the free drinks deal in the main dining room, all the bars etc, including specialty restaurants and Ice bar?

I believe drinks can be requested from any bar or restaurant, though the ice bar might be excluded (I haven't been on a ship with that venue, nor do I drink actually).  The MDR often has a bar nearby, you can also just grab a drink while waiting on your table and bring it in with you.

18 minutes ago, hallux said:

You're not supposed to share your drink package, but you CAN get more than one drink at the bar and once you walk away how are they to know who's actually consuming it?  If you get caught, though, they will suspend or terminate the drink package.

Sure.  The entire table does not have to be on the SDP in order to dine together.  However, if they're going to come along, why not just grab an add-on SDP for them to match yours so you don't have to think about it?  Depending on the restaurants you go to you can easily get your money's worth from it.

I believe drinks can be requested from any bar or restaurant, though the ice bar might be excluded (I haven't been on a ship with that venue, nor do I drink actually).  The MDR often has a bar nearby, you can also just grab a drink while waiting on your table and bring it in with you.

Thanks for those answers 🙂

If we were sailing without the drinks package being free we wouldn't buy it, as we dont drink much but as we only have to pay the gratuities it looks great.

The reason I was confused is that if you BUY the package, everyone on the booking has to buy it too, whereas if you get it free, it's only for the two of us. - This made me worry they would charge full price the 3rd adult even if they had nothing.

The last 2 cruises we booked , they told us it was required that the 3rd person get the drink package also ( all 3 just pay tips ). As far as the dining package , I would suggest you buy the package for the 3rd person if they are coming with you as it can be cheaper that way.

Just now, beanie315 said:

The last 2 cruises we booked , they told us it was required that the 3rd person get the drink package also ( all 3 just pay tips ). As far as the dining package , I would suggest you buy the package for the 3rd person if they are coming with you as it can be cheaper that way.

This is my worry. It's all booked and I have the confirmation. It just shows the drinks package for 2 adults and we've been charged the gratuities for it. Are they gonna add the 3rd adult on and charge me more?

12 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Thanks for those answers 🙂

If we were sailing without the drinks package being free we wouldn't buy it, as we dont drink much but as we only have to pay the gratuities it looks great.

The reason I was confused is that if you BUY the package, everyone on the booking has to buy it too, whereas if you get it free, it's only for the two of us. - This made me worry they would charge full price the 3rd adult even if they had nothing.

it doesn't sound like you are big drinkers, the grat is a lot of $$$, perhaps drop the drink package a buy drinks a la carte. Sometimes with free package you drink more than you want because it is free!

1 minute ago, bones774 said:

it doesn't sound like you are big drinkers, the grat is a lot of $$$, perhaps drop the drink package a buy drinks a la carte. Sometimes with free package you drink more than you want because it is free!

If it stays the way it is now on my booking, £99x2 then we will keep it. If they add another, we would cancel. £99 for a weeks drinks and no stress is worth it. It's just the uncertainty around the 3rd person that worries me.

You don't have to be a big drinker to cover the "tips" on the free at sea drink package....what is it?  $20 per day....that said, math is easy...drinks probably average around $10 bucks per (if not more)  once the 20% is added to each one, which is not done on drinks when using the free at sea perk.  

2 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

If it stays the way it is now on my booking, £99x2 then we will keep it. If they add another, we would cancel. £99 for a weeks drinks and no stress is worth it. It's just the uncertainty around the 3rd person that worries me.

If you BUY the drinks package then everyone in the cabin must purchase it.

If you receive the drinks package as a promo then whomever is included in the promo are the only ones who have to pay gratuities, no one else in the cabin does.

Click on the promo on the main NCL page and read the Terms and Conditions since the amount of people receiving the package may change from offer to offer.

51 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

1. We are 3 adults in a cabin and got the free drinks package for guest 1&2. Does guest 3 HAVE to buy the package at full-price or can he go without and just buy drinks when he wants to?

A few things...

Depending on when you booked, either only guests 1 & 2 received the Premium Beverage Package (PBP) or all adults in the stateroom received the PBP. If you booked when only guests 1 & 2 received the package, guest 3 does not have to buy the package and can buy drinks a la carte. In most cases, it is better to buy a la carte instead of buying the package.

You may be better off to cancel/rebook under the current terms which give the package to all adults (guests 1-8) in the stateroom. Try doing a mock booking for the same date/stateroom class and see what the numbers are. 

That would be a violation of the terms. You can get away with it (many people do) but if you are caught, you could have your package voided and in a worst case scenario, you would be charged for ALL drinks ordered for the entire cruise (even the legit ones). 

Yes. Guest 3 can also buy a package for their own use (LINK)

Not the ice bar. Yes for the rest. 

EDIT !!!

I see that you are in the UK (I saw the "£") . My post is for the US promo terms. Most of the answers apply but there are a few differences. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only

Just now, ColeThornton said:

If you BUY the drinks package then everyone in the cabin must purchase it.

If you receive the drinks package as a promo then whomever is included in the promo are the only ones who have to pay gratuities, no one else in the cabin does.

Click on the promo on the main NCL page and read the Terms and Conditions since the amount of people receiving the package may change from offer to offer.

So there's nothing to stop me for example getting two drinks for free between the three of us? They can't really go round checking who is drinking it?

I can only have 1-2 a day!

1 minute ago, Two Wheels Only said:

You may be better off to cancel/rebook under the current terms which give the package to all adults (guests 1-8) in the stateroom. Try doing a mock booking for the same date/stateroom class and see what the numbers are. 

I booked the cruise just yesterday and the drinks package shows as free for guest 1 and 2.

Just now, ScratchTheRat said:

So there's nothing to stop me for example getting two drinks for free between the three of us? They can't really go round checking who is drinking it?

I can only have 1-2 a day!

Let your conscience be your guide.  Personally, I wouldn't consider doing that.  I consider it stealing, others may not.

2 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Let your conscience be your guide.  Personally, I wouldn't consider doing that.  I consider it stealing, others may not.

Understood 🙂

I am a rule follower generally. Just sort of working things out ^^

3 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

You'd be surprised at how many people get caught. Many more get away with it but when someone is caught, there can be quite the scene...

4 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

I booked the cruise just yesterday and the drinks package shows as free for guest 1 and 2.

I edited my post. I didn't see that you were in the UK until after I posted. Sorry about that. 

1 minute ago, Two Wheels Only said:

You'd be surprised at how many people get caught. Many more get away with it but when someone is caught, there can be quite the scene...

I edited my post. I didn't see that you were in the UK until after I posted. Sorry about that. 

Thanks for the info! Basically, I am the planner of the household so I am "Guest 1" but I don't really drink, because I have a medical condition that only allows me 1-2 a night max. 

So most likely the two guests using the package would be guest 2 and 3. But occasionally I would enjoy one!

1 hour ago, ScratchTheRat said:

He can buy the package, but based on the retail price he will likely spend less buying drinks ala carte.

1 hour ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Don't risk it.  Moreover you are cheating all of your fellow cruisers who end up carrying the cost in their drink packages.

16 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

So most likely the two guests using the package would be guest 2 and 3. But occasionally I would enjoy one!

When a guest orders a drink, their card is swiped and their picture shows on the screen. Unless guest 3 is your twin, letting him use your card won't work (unless the bartender doesn't care). 

In practice, the bartender will understand that when only guest #2 uses their card and gets 2 drinks, one of the drinks is for someone else. The bartender will assume that the other person is guest #1. The issue would be when all 3 people are drinking and only 2 have a package. As stated, the majority of people that get drinks for others do not get caught. There is a risk and most of the people who get caught are the ones who share to the extreme. In your case, 1-2 drinks per day would probably go unnoticed. 

What most people do when only 1&2 get the package is put the 2 biggest drinkers as guest 1&2 and guest 3 buys a la carte. The downside is that guest 3 doesn't get the dining package promo and would also have to buy specialty dinners if dining with guests 1&2 who are using the promo dining package (SDP).

The people on the forum that give the worst case scenario are trying to look out for others. It's like warning people of a speed trap on the highway. The majority of people who exceed the speed limit do not get caught but there is a risk as some people do get caught.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

When a guest orders a drink, their card is swiped and their picture shows on the screen. Unless guest 3 is your twin, letting him use your card won't work (unless the bartender doesn't care). 

In practice, the bartender will understand that when only guest #2 uses their card and gets 2 drinks, one of the drinks is for someone else. The bartender will assume that the other person is guest #1. The issue would be when all 3 people are drinking and only 2 have a package. As stated, the majority of people that get drinks for others do not get caught. There is a risk and most of the people who get caught are the ones who share to the extreme. In your case, 1-2 drinks per day would probably go unnoticed. 

What most people do when only 1&2 get the package is put the 2 biggest drinkers as guest 1&2 and guest 3 buys a la carte. The downside is that guest 3 doesn't get the dining package promo and would also have to buy specialty dinners if dining with guests 1&2 who are using the promo dining package (SDP).

The people on the forum that give the worst case scenario are trying to look out for others. It's like warning people of a speed trap on the highway. The majority of people who exceed the speed limit do not get caught but there is a risk as some people do get caught.  

Oh for sure. I appreciate that 🙂

If we did do it, it'd never be to drink together. 

2 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Thanks for the info! Basically, I am the planner of the household so I am "Guest 1" but I don't really drink, because I have a medical condition that only allows me 1-2 a night max. 

If that's the case,  why not see if you can switch yourself to Guest 3,  and make someone else Guest 1? 

• Like 1

You have mentioned about paying gratuities, but as a fellow Brit I can tell you that as long as you booked in UK the gratuities are included in the free Premium Beverage Package price. It isn't in the US so a lot of advice on here is given for the wrong set of rules.

I would definitely look to "share a taste or two" with guest 3 as the drinks package is exorbitant at around $99 per person per day x cruise days plus 20% gratuity to buy... Have you considered investing in straws?

Edited by Stevio
Addition

3 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Understood 🙂

I am a rule follower generally. Just sort of working things out ^^

I follow rules as a strong rule; however, the drink deal should be good for at least 5-6 drinks per person per day, so if you are only getting 1 or 2 for yourself, I wouldn't lose sleep for the sin of grabbing a buddy 1 or 2 drinks per day.  I am not advocating that, but I promise most wont pass antagonistic judgement towards your soul. 

My wife and I don't drink much, but get the drink package when it is a promo option.  We will each get a couple drinks here or there, then comment to each other how we waste the benefit by being "lightweights"  Meanwhile, others all around are getting more than the value of the deal by pounding 30 drinks a day.  More power to them; but the point being, NCL has a figure in mind about what the average passenger will drink with the package, and you will be well under that, regardless.