Free at Sea - Clarification needed - First Timer

ScratchTheRat

1 hour ago, brovol said:

I follow rules as a strong rule; however, the drink deal should be good for at least 5-6 drinks per person per day, so if you are only getting 1 or 2 for yourself, I wouldn't lose sleep for the sin of grabbing a buddy 1 or 2 drinks per day.  I am not advocating that, but I promise most wont pass antagonistic judgement towards your soul. 

My wife and I don't drink much, but get the drink package when it is a promo option.  We will each get a couple drinks here or there, then comment to each other how we waste the benefit by being "lightweights"  Meanwhile, others all around are getting more than the value of the deal by pounding 30 drinks a day.  More power to them; but the point being, NCL has a figure in mind about what the average passenger will drink with the package, and you will be well under that, regardless.

Between the three of us, we will likely have a total of 5 drinks a day lol

On 1/27/2021 at 10:48 AM, SpainAlien said:

The icebar is not covered on your drinks package neither are room service drinks or in the minibar. Remember also that your package does not cover speciality coffee, bottles of water or cans of soda

The Premium Beverage Package which is included as one of the Free at Sea offers excludes specialty coffee, bottles of water, items from your mini-bar or room service, and the ice bar.  There also is a limit on the price per drink, with any cost above the limit being charged to your on board account.  The cost of sodas, however, are included in the package.

On 1/27/2021 at 10:36 PM, ScratchTheRat said:

I would say your only tricky time could be meal times when you might want a glass of something but nothing stopping you taking drinks into the restaurant, we often do.

11 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

I would say your only tricky time could be meal times when you might want a glass of something but nothing stopping you taking drinks into the restaurant, we often do.

Well actually it won't be an issue for me as for medical reasons I cannot have drinks with food. 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 11:10 AM, ScratchTheRat said:

Hey all 🙂

Booked my first ever NCL cruise (woohoo) and just wanted some clarification on a couple of things.

1. We are 3 adults in a cabin and got the free drinks package for guest 1&2. Does guest 3 HAVE to buy the package at full-price or can he go without and just buy drinks when he wants to?

2. Can I use my drinks package to get a drink and give it to guest 3?

3. Guest 1 & 2 have free speciality dining, can guest 3 come along and pay the normal cost?

4. Can we use the free drinks deal in the main dining room, all the bars etc, including specialty restaurants and Ice bar?

Thanks!

"Packages must be purchased by all qualifying individuals residing in the stateroom or additional staterooms under the same method of payment for the entire length of the cruise. Packages may not be shared and are non-transferable and non-refundable." 

1 minute ago, djkolp said:

"Packages must be purchased by all qualifying individuals residing in the stateroom or additional staterooms under the same method of payment for the entire length of the cruise. Packages may not be shared and are non-transferable and non-refundable." 

As has been said above it is not necessary for everyone in the stateroom to purchase the package when it is a perk, only when the package is purchased.

8 minutes ago, djkolp said:

I did read the terms. However the packages have not been purchased.

On NCL we opt for the drink package. We follow the rules, too. We play bridge most nights before dinner and once the bar staff gets to know us, having the drink package makes the flow of drinks, the conviviality and atmosphere very nice.  We (four) card players each have one or 2 drinks while playing, perhaps a drink with dinner.  On a hot day at sea, a beer or 2.  Without the drink package on NCL, we have been charged for other guests' drinks (and straightening that out is a major hassle!), with the package and our pretty consistent choice of beverages and places to drink, having the drink package is a good choice for us.  

On 1/27/2021 at 11:10 AM, ScratchTheRat said:

1. We are 3 adults in a cabin and got the free drinks package for guest 1&2. Does guest 3 HAVE to buy the package at full-price or can he go without and just buy drinks when he wants to?

2. Can I use my drinks package to get a drink and give it to guest 3?

3. Guest 1 & 2 have free speciality dining, can guest 3 come along and pay the normal cost?

4. Can we use the free drinks deal in the main dining room, all the bars etc, including specialty restaurants and Ice bar?

1) On our last sailing in 2018, the third adult does *not* have to buy the beverage package if two people get it as a perk. We sailed in a suite with my father in law, and he definitely didn’t have to buy.

2) Technically, this is a big NO, however from my experience the staff on NCL cares much less about this than other lines. Still, I wouldn’t risk having your beverage package suspended by trying it. 

3) I’d highly recommend purchasing a specialty dining package for your 3rd for the number of nights the rest of you will be doing specialty dining. Many of the NCL restaurants are a la carte now, so if you’re going to Cagney’s or Le Bistro, you’d certainly come out ahead with a specialty dining add on. Separately, if you’ve been on other cruise lines, you should be forewarned that the NCL main dining rooms are pretty poor in comparison (service and food). When we sail NCL, we make sure we have specialty dining lined up for every night of our voyage and avoid the MDRs totally (compared to MDRs being fine on Celebrity, Princess, Holland America, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Disney and Cunard).

4) Yes... but not the ice bar. This is considered to be an event, like a wine tasting or martini tasting up charge. Otherwise, as long as the alcohol is $15 or less, you’re good to go in any venue onboard. 

Edited by AstoriaPreppy

On 1/27/2021 at 2:36 PM, ScratchTheRat said:

you can always pass on the drink passage, it will lower the cost of the cruise, and you'll find if you and your wife only have a couple of drinks per day, you may actually save money.