Forums App on Android

The Forums App on Android (at least, I don't have any Apple products so I can't speak to that) is totally and completely broken.  Every time I try to log in I get an error that says "Network Error, please try again later (get_config)" and the App closes, or else I get the same error but at the end it says (get_forum | Cruise Critic) and it stays on a blue screen within the app. 

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and that hasn't fixed it, and it's been like this for a long time now, and I see a lot of complaints on the Play store page for the app of the same thing.  Any word on when this will be fixed?  I know the forums are mobile friendly, but reading in a browser window on my small phone screen is not nearly as nice as the way the forum works in the app when the app works.

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Please see top sticky in this forum.

Yeah, I saw that but it said 'Tapatalk', which I don't use - and it is also 60 days old and says the app will be down 'for a few weeks.  So I wasn't sure if it was applicable.  🙂

6 hours ago, Jobeth66 said:

Yeah, I saw that but it said 'Tapatalk', which I don't use - and it is also 60 days old and says the app will be down 'for a few weeks.  So I wasn't sure if it was applicable.  🙂

It is confusing but The Forums App is the Cruise Critic App. The Cruise Critic or Forums App are branded subsets of the Tapatalk App.To connect with the forum software that Cruise Critic is using those third party apps require a  plug in. Apparently an update to the forum software a couple of months broke the plug in. 

I am a fan of the mobile apps, the Forums App and Tapatalk and like you don't like the  touted mobile browser experience. I don't think the mobile browser of this forum software is very good.  However since I am pretty locked down at home and don't tracel because of Covid using a computer or iPad has been sufficient. I simply don't log in to Cruise Critic on my phone. When we can travel again though that will be a pita since I leave my computer at home when traveling.

Edited by Charles4515

9 hours ago, Jobeth66 said:

Any word on when this will be fixed? 

@Jobeth66

Howdy!! emo22.gif

For questions and concerns regarding the situation as mentioned in the top sticky in this forum, Jenn asks for emails. Please send your email to help@cruisecritic.com from your Cruise Critic email address of record. Be sure to mention your member name.

Happy sails,

Host Kat  emo32.gif

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, JennysUncle said:

Gee, I had been thinking that the developer must have been furloughed because of the Covid shutdowns.  It must be a mighty hard problem to solve if the developer has really been working on it for at least four months without success.  🤔

I imagine there is more than one thing on the to do list.

That's obvious.  I was hoping to elicit some sense of the priority of fixing the CC App. Presumably if there is a queue there is some measure of where we fit.   I worked in software development, I know that critical jobs move to the front.  But our host should be able to get an estimate of the schedule.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 1:35 PM, JennysUncle said:

That's obvious.  I was hoping to elicit some sense of the priority of fixing the CC App. Presumably if there is a queue there is some measure of where we fit.   I worked in software development, I know that critical jobs move to the front.  But our host should be able to get an estimate of the schedule.

Cruise Critic can not give an estimate as they are not the developer of either their forum software nor are they the developer of the The Forums app.  An updated plug in written by the thirds party app develper is required for the latest version of the Invision forum software to work with the app. It has been months and no update. 

FYI to all,

In case you missed it, please see the following post #2 by LauraS in Jenn's pinned thread that appears at the top on the first page of this forum:

• Like 1