Thoughts on getting Covid test 3 days BEFORE returning to USA

nini

I received this from Trip Advisor (CC owns them?). My main concern is the logistics

on getting the Covid test NO MORE than 3 days before boarding the aircraft. So, here I

am disembarking in Barcelona and mow I need to stay 3 days and obtain a Covid test!?

NO WHERE does it say that receiving the two vaccines is acceptable.

Here is what I received:

Dear traveler,
Are you considering an international trip? If so, read on. The CDC has issued a COVID-19 order that may impact your plans for re-entering the United States.
Effective January 26, 2021 travelers arriving in the U.S. must:
1) Get tested for COVID-19 no more than 3 days before departing to the United States and show a negative test result to the airline before boarding OR 2) show documentation of recent recovery from COVID-19 to the airline before boarding.
This new order applies to all air passengers — including U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents — aged 2 years and older. It also applies regardless of the length of time spent outside of the United States.
Acceptable documentation of recovery from COVID-19 includes both a positive viral test result within 3 months of travel (or the time period specified in current CDC guidance) AND a letter from a healthcare provider or public health official stating that the passenger is cleared to end isolation.
Passengers who have tested positive for COVID-19 will need to delay their travel until they meet the criteria to end isolation; learn more here.
Need more information? Visit this FAQ page at CDC.gov.

On 1/27/2021 at 12:11 PM, nini said:

I received this from Trip Advisor (CC owns them?). My main concern is the logistics

on getting the Covid test NO MORE than 3 days before boarding the aircraft. So, here I

am disembarking in Barcelona and mow I need to stay 3 days and obtain a Covid test!?

NO WHERE does it say that receiving the two vaccines is acceptable.

Here is what I received:

Dear traveler,
Are you considering an international trip? If so, read on. The CDC has issued a COVID-19 order that may impact your plans for re-entering the United States.
Effective January 26, 2021 travelers arriving in the U.S. must:
1) Get tested for COVID-19 no more than 3 days before departing to the United States and show a negative test result to the airline before boarding OR 2) show documentation of recent recovery from COVID-19 to the airline before boarding.
This new order applies to all air passengers — including U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents — aged 2 years and older. It also applies regardless of the length of time spent outside of the United States.
Acceptable documentation of recovery from COVID-19 includes both a positive viral test result within 3 months of travel (or the time period specified in current CDC guidance) AND a letter from a healthcare provider or public health official stating that the passenger is cleared to end isolation.
Passengers who have tested positive for COVID-19 will need to delay their travel until they meet the criteria to end isolation; learn more here.
Need more information? Visit this FAQ page at CDC.gov.

So cruise ending in Boston...we'd need to get to the airport in time to go to the rapid testing place; hope the line isn't too long;  get tested; wait for results; then check in if results are neg.  if one or both are positive; then quarantine in Boston for 10 day?  Ya know what..I'll cancel the cruise.

13 hours ago, CTLeeA said:

So cruise ending in Boston...we'd need to get to the airport in time to go to the rapid testing place; hope the line isn't too long;  get tested; wait for results; then check in if results are neg.  if one or both are positive; then quarantine in Boston for 10 day?  Ya know what..I'll cancel the cruise.

As I read it, if you need to fly from a foreign port and into the USA, then

you need to get the test. In your example, you would already be in the USA.

However, you have hit the issue on the head... it could get very expensive in a foreign

port, not to mention rearranging reservations, etc.

12 hours ago, nini said:

As I read it, if you need to fly from a foreign port and into the USA, then

you need to get the test. In your example, you would already be in the USA.

However, you have hit the issue on the head... it could get very expensive in a foreign

port, not to mention rearranging reservations, etc.

In our case, we'd be CRUISING to Boston from a foreign port and before we could board our flight in Boston, we'd need to show a negative covid test...tonight tho, I heard on the news about a test you can do at home (or on a ship)...just $30 and the results appear on your smart phone...that might be the answer...hopefully our covid tests will be negative...we're getting our shots tomorrow.

12 hours ago, CTLeeA said:

In our case, we'd be CRUISING to Boston from a foreign port and before we could board our flight in Boston, we'd need to show a negative covid test...tonight tho, I heard on the news about a test you can do at home (or on a ship)...just $30 and the results appear on your smart phone...that might be the answer...hopefully our covid tests will be negative...we're getting our shots tomorrow.

The home test sounds great! In your situation, as I understand the CDC announcement,

it applies to flights returning to the USA, and mot a ship. Either way, I am sure they will

update it to even include our vehicles if and when we can enter Canada again.

11 hours ago, nini said:

The home test sounds great! In your situation, as I understand the CDC announcement,

it applies to flights returning to the USA, and mot a ship. Either way, I am sure they will

update it to even include our vehicles if and when we can enter Canada again.

I think you're correct about this not pertaining to cruises...We'll need to see if Canada is going to allow cruise ship to dock in Sept....I had also hoped that having received both does of the vaccine would suffice but the vaccine wouldn't prevent me, if infected despite the vaccine, from infecting other.  I think the vaccine requirement for all is much simpler and even more effective than a test which could be negative today and positive tomorrow.

Edited by CTLeeA

11 hours ago, CTLeeA said:

I think you're correct about this not pertaining to cruises...We'll need to see if Canada is going to allow cruise ship to dock in Sept....I had also hoped that having received both does of the vaccine would suffice but the vaccine wouldn't prevent me, if infected despite the vaccine, from infecting other.  I think the vaccine requirement for all is much simpler and even more effective than a test which could be negative today and positive tomorrow.

Unfortunately, at this time, I am unable to find the medical person's quote which stated

that asymptomatic carriers were unable to infect others. I personally am not claiming this

(no blasting please) but certainly hope that after 2 vaccinations for all, we can return to

living some sense of normalcy.

11 hours ago, nini said:

Unfortunately, at this time, I am unable to find the medical person's quote which stated

that asymptomatic carriers were unable to infect others. I personally am not claiming this

(no blasting please) but certainly hope that after 2 vaccinations for all, we can return to

living some sense of normalcy.

I've googled the question of asymptomatic Covid pts being able to infect others and the answers I have found are always in the affirmative.  In fact, my understanding of people who have completed the vac protocol still have the ability to infect those who haven't been vaccinated so, until we reach herd immunity, I'm afraid we won't be out of the woods as a society..only those of us who get vaccinated...My wife and I have had our 1st  shots this week.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CTLeeA said:

I've googled the question of asymptomatic Covid pts being able to infect others and the answers I have found are always in the affirmative.  In fact, my understanding of people who have completed the vac protocol still have the ability to infect those who haven't been vaccinated so, until we reach herd immunity, I'm afraid we won't be out of the woods as a society..only those of us who get vaccinated...My wife and I have had our 1st  shots this week.  

Absolutely correct!  Here are some links.  I worry about vaccinated people ignoring practices and becoming the new "super spreaders" causing yet another wave of disease and death.  I am already seeing it behavior changing where I live.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/you-can-still-spread-develop-covid-19-after-getting-a-vaccine-what-to-know

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210203-why-vaccinated-people-may-still-be-able-to-spread-covid-19

On 2/3/2021 at 1:30 AM, CTLeeA said:

Hi there, just saw your post and you are out of luck.  Canada announced today that no ships will be allowed until Feb 28, 2022.  Sorry to be the messenger of bad news.  

• 1 month later...

In my case, it wouldn't matter to me.  I get tested at work weekly anyways (healthcare worker), so the only issue I could possibly see would be my result being delayed (usually doesn't happen, this week was the exception).

I can see, logistically how it would be a nightmare for others!