Please NO candy this year

We have to think ahead of the days of temptations you know

We have to learn we don't have to say yes--- but can learn to say  NO

Eating less and saying no to some foods means weight loss

So instead of eating sweets and carbs eat a salad toss

Wouldn't hurt if we walked a few miles

Wishing you all a good week  of sunshine and smiles

Thanks for the poem, Belle.

I'm down 2.1 this week which finally puts me back at my pre-holiday weight. I had that one blip right before Thanksgiving where I hit 170 for a day, and I'm hoping that I'll be back there for the next weigh in. 

We're having leftovers tonight, but we've been good all week, so tomorrow should keep going in the right direction. 

I had a doctor's appointment yesterday afternoon, and got my tetanus booster (regular check up, nothing wrong). They asked if I also wanted a MMR booster. Because Covid is similar to Rubella, they are recommending it to their patients even you received both doses as a kid. It's supposed to offer some protection against Covid due to their similarities and lessen the severity of the symptoms if you do get it. I said, "which arm do you want?!". DH asked Google about it when I got home, and he found one of the theories doctors think kids get Covid less is because less time has passed since they have received their MMR vaccines. He's calling them today to see if he should go in to get one. 

Good Morning All - thanks for starting the thread Belle!   I am unfortunately up 0.6# this week. (I ate potato chips a few times this week) - lots of salt, and am not really sticking to eating healthy - motivation is a little lacking.   The 0.6# pound is the total that I have gained for the whole month ... so hoping that February is better.

Mel - that is very interesting about the MMR.  My middle child his wife and my grandson are all getting over covid.  They were so careful, but my son was working and said he believes he caught it from a customer - no one else at his work has it.  My son and grandson had a very mild case, my daughter-in-law has been having some breathing issues, but they aren't that bad.  It scares me when family members get sick.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day - It is snowing here.  Jan

Hi al!

Belle ~ nice start to the thread. I won't have to worry about candy for Valentine's Day as we don't exchange gifts, just the same card year after year.

melmar02 ~ nice loss! Interesting info about the MMR vaccines.

I'm back in the 170's just barely, up 1.2 lbs this week. Must have been the chips, wasn't much chocolate.

Have a good weekend & stay safe. Fingers crossed we can cruise again soon.

~ Jo ~ 😊

Hello everyone,

Belle, great poem. I can't believe February is so soon. 

I stayed the same. Keep trying to lose a little but keep ending up in the same place. 

Mel, congrats on the loss and getting back to the pre-holiday weight.

Jan, well, it's small loss. Chips are really yummy. 

Jo, not a horrible gain. 

Take care, Diana

Good morning, all.

Jan, sorry about the slight gain.   I hope that your family recovers quickly.   I understand how scary it is.   I was terrified the whole time my son had Covid and he had a mild case.   I am praying for your DIL to have a good recovery.

melmar, congrats on your loss.   That is very interesting about the MMR.   Although, I had read that about kids possibly being more resistant because they have had vaccinations more recently than adults.

Jo, sorry about the gain.

Diana, I am with you.  Stayed the same.  I admit I was a little surprised by that.   I was really expecting some loss.   Oh well, let's hope for next weigh in.

Rose

I'm up ..... way up. Hard when its free bagel month. I don't just get a bagel but the works. 

Mel, congrats on the loss. Will look up MMR on MedMel. A lot in my age range didn't get it as (Governor) Reagan was closing public health clinics. 

Jan, 0.6 over an entire January is pretty good. That spread between NYE & Valentines Day can be problematic 

Jo, the same card or a card?

Diana & Rose, wish I was in the same place. Will be soon

Belle - nice motivation.  I can’t thank you enough for this thread.  I have a new group of friends. The support is wonderful.

Rose and Diana the same is good.

Jan and Jo  the gains are small  both seem to be water wt. good luck next week

Mel judos to 2.1 that is huge.  Interesting about mmr.  I was a contract worker for the military years ago and annually they checked titers for different vaccinations so got mmr boosters then.

My 2 wk loss is 1.4 ... a little disappointed thought tromping around  in ski boots would have been worth a few lbs.  First time I haven’t hit my month goal of 5 lbs  ( December was over 5 lbs so it evens out) 

Im doing some soul searching.  I hate to make the decision but I think I will stop skiing.   I had 3 falls this year that all could have been bad — One I hit my right hip .  I don’t think it is worth the risk.  I had  a few tip overs which I expected.   Plus my son had to push my boot clips , walk my skis to the base and help get my boots off — makes me feel old.

• Like 2

So, question on MMR ... I had mumps, measles, rubella, and chickenpox as a child.  I have never had an MMR as I always was told I couldn't get them again.  I still remember having all of them and how much I itched, etc.  My kids got the shots (I don't know if they ever got another round - I will ask them).

Love all the posts this week.  Izena -I hear you on the soul searching - I have learned that I can no longer get on step ladders and wallpaper when no one is home (that is now my DH's rule).  It is interesting how time does change what one is comfortable doing.  

Ombud - love bagels!!!

Diana & Rose - Nice that you at least stayed the same.

Jo - I too want to know if it is the same card every year - I think that would be so lovely!  I have a box upstairs in a spare room that has many of the notes, cards, etc. that DH & I have exchanged over the years.  The kids know it is there and I'm hoping that someday they will spend some time reading.  Jan

Nice to see you all today🙂

Mel---Great loss. Doing good getting Holiday weight off, Never heard about the MMR

helping with the virus.  

Jan---Sorry your son and family have the virus, You wonder why some have it worse than

others. Small gain, you'll get it off. Yesterday your thread about sizing of clothes. I've said that all along, one pattern, many layers of cloth, not coming out the same the size.

Jo---Sorry you had a gain maybe it was the salt and will come off fast. Same card? Sounds like it.

What fun.

Diana---At least your staying the same. Know it's hard when you want to lose. I know how did

February get here so fast.  Will we just blink and March will be here?

Rose---Sorry you didn't have the loss you wanted but stayed the same. Is your son alright?

No lasting effects? Hope not.

Ombud---Sorry your up but the month almost over, no more free bagels and then the works.

Just drop the bread in February bet you'll have a loss.

Izena---You had a loss that's good after a vacation. You had a lot of exercise but maybe you ate

more than normal. Be happy a vacation loss. Sorry you think you might have to give up skiing.

I know it seems all of a sudden we can't do things we use to, like it happens overnight.

Me---I gained 1pound on Thursday last week but got it off the next day, so I can say--lost 1 pound 

or stayed the same.

I for one don't like winter but know we need the rain, others snow Just doesn't help people when this

virus going around.  Hope we keep getting more vaccines, people get their shots, wear masks ,

stay in side or be sure to keep a distance.  We have to get this virus GONE! 

Izena, I stopped skiing when it became too hard to get into all that gear and get up to Tahoe. Just hearing about all that traffic stopped on the side of 80 makes me glad I stopped. Also a 1.4lb loss is still good

Jan, I don't have my vaccination records. My mom wanted me to get mumps, measles, rubella, chicken pox so I was exposed to every kid who had it. I did get mumps but not the rest. My granddaughter got measles despite MMR, go figure!! As to your family members with Covid ---- its SO easy to catch still. And that new variant is easier to catch

Diana, we had a rather large break in the rain so I got out. I'm not brave enough to hike on wet hills but did walk through town. Hope you found a dry spot too

S got Kaiser for $1 a month!!!! Love Covered California  💕 

Found scat on my neighbor's walkway with turkey bones & 4" feathers. I warned him to keep his cat in the house after dark but had to show him the scat (he used to live in a big city) Guess larger predators are coming out this winter. We were warned that as people stay home, big cats & coyotes come out. So if you live near open hills, ....

Hi all,

Well, our dog that went to the vet a couple weeks ago still has those spots on his chest. We shaved him to get the medicated shampoo and conditioner down to his skin a little easier and found more spots. He also started scratching himself so hard that he's missing fur behind one of his ears now too. Took him back to the vet, and he's sporting a fancy cone now and has started an antibiotic, an allergy med, and a steriod cream. He's not happy about the cone and has been following me everywhere, but he can't judge his distance so he keep running into the back of my legs. Poor guy.

Regarding the MMR, the nurse did tell me they are offering both doses to those who didn't receive it as a kid. She didn't say anything about someone who had one of them as a kid though.

Jan, Jo, and Ombud - sorry for the gain. Salty chips get me every time too. We can't keep bagels in the house; I can eat 3 in one sitting!

Jan, I hope your kids and grandkids are better soon!

Belle, Diana, and Rose - same is good. 

Izena - 1.4 is still good - you probably countered some fat loss weight with muscle gain weight with those boots.

Oh Mel, poor dog!!

Walked mine for about an hour today (still to soggy for the hills but he's ok with paths) but it was so cold I had to wear a coat

Edited by Ombud

HI all!

Yes, it is the same card! I like the sentiment of that card so it couldn't be beat. We also reuse the same birthday cards too, but that's just laziness! I told DH I need a new card this birthday when I turn 75,

which I think is special. I can't believe I'll be that old!!

melmar02 ~ oh poor doggie. Hope the problem clears up soon.

Ombud ~ I saw in the paper that coyotes in Toronto killed 2 dogs. It's amazing how much wildlife there is, even in big cities!

Jan ~ I think you & i posted at the same time Thursday. Sorry to hear your family was hit by Covid & hope your DDIL is better soon.

Have a nice weekend & stay safe.

~ Jo ~ 😊

Input Wanted::

I think my computer just died. I rarely use it, just to do my taxes. I know I've got the actual returns from 2000-> on 2 flash drives so it's not like I've lost any data. I use an app on my phone because it's just importing a composite 1099 from Schwab  &  1099R from the county (retired). I have all of the paper 1099s from 2012 (others went with shredders), now I wonder how much I need the actual 1040, Schedule D, FTB540. If so do I need to buy a new computer in order to have a paper record of my taxes? Alternatively I could save a PDF then print that @ Staples for 12c a sheet. (10 sheets). I'd prefer to get them onto those flash drives but how would I do that? WWYD 😕

Ombud - this is what it says for tax returns:   Keep records for 3 years from the date you filed your original return or 2 years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later, if you file a claim for credit or refund after you file your return. Keep records for 7 years if you file a claim for a loss from worthless securities or bad debt deduction.

I personally would print out the tax return and keep that, then you don't have to worry about flash drives or computers.

Jo - Love the idea of the same card, that is so romantic!!!  I have a card that I framed and keep in the hallway that says "from the moment I saw you, I wanted to meet you.  From the moment I met you, I wanted to know you.  From the moment I knew you I was in love with you.  From the moment I loved you, I wanted to share my life with you ...." that was 52 years ago and almost 48 years of marriage.  Still the perfect card.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.  Jan

• Like 1

Evening all.

Taxes😐 and love❤️ posts today.

Mel sorry about your fur baby, Hope he feels better soon and your

legs don't get all bang up.

Ombud good job on walking in the cold. Sorry about the computer. You know

I got a new one. It's ok but has it's quirks. Takes after me---mind of it's own!

Jo how sweet about the card. Yes need a new birthday card Special day and 

number!  Your not old just had more years to enjoy life and cruising.

Jan I love that card. So romantic! Sure is a keeper. While cleaning things out

found a note my husband kept that I gave him on our wedding day.

Taxes one thing I didn't have to deal with except keep the papers.

Husband did them, then we had them done and now my son does them.

All I can say on taxes, all taxes on everything---they take/charge to much. Only ones

that make out on Fed and state are the very rich which can afford to pay but don't. 

Ok off my soapbox.

Everyone have a good weekend.

Jan, just 3 yrs? I'm keeping too much. (Which is par for the course for me). I think I'll print out 2018 & 2019 after doing 2020 -- it's on the flash drive. I'm strange. I don’t mind paying. I probably don't do it right. Back of envelope figure out if I will owe from investments then take a little more than that amount from IRA in early December: 75% to IRS / 25% to state and get a refund in February.  It's just my share to keep the country running

Jan, that card!! So touching 💞

Belle, isn't it wonderful what little sentimental notes we find hidden under things 😍

Ombud - check with others too to make sure that you aren't keeping too much.

My dad passed away on 1/1996 ... my sister sent me some "stuff" from him back in November of 1995 which I didn't receive until after he passed ... Included in it was a note from my dad that started "I bet you never thought you would hear from me".

We never know what memories others will remind us of.  Life is interesting.  Enjoy every day.  Jan

• Like 1

Ombud, glad you got out for a walk. The weather where we are is beautiful today, cold but sunny, blue sky.

Mel, sorry your dog is having issues. Hopefully resolved soon. 

We put our outdoor dining area back together. I swept up our patio and cleaned up plants etc. that were damaged from the storm. Counts as exercise and got steps in. Have to wait for the other part of the yard to dry out before we can fix the landscaping that was torn up by the storm. 

Sadly the tree I hate in our front yard survived the storm......Oh well. 

Not doing much today, found figure skating and winter X games to watch. I'm enjoying a margarita, can't let my backyard limes go to waste. Yummy. 

I've enjoyed reading what things people have found while they are cleaning things out.

Jo, I think giving the same card each year for Valentine's Day is so cute. 

Have a good day,

Diana

Dog is doing a little better. He's gotten a few breaks from his cone every day, and is going a little longer without scratching each day. As soon as he starts the cone goes back on. The spot behind his ear seems to be healing - I'm not the wound care person in our family though. I'm one of those weird people that pass out at the sight of blood, and I can feel my blood pressure drop when I look at his boo-boo. I see spots and start to get dizzy. Even as a kid, I would faint at the pediatrician's office with just a finger stick. DH has no issues with it though, so fortunately we can split the kid (and dog) duties. I get them when they're sick, and he takes care of anything needing a bandage.

Keeping the same card sounds so sweet! We find each other's unsigned cards that we forgot to give each other. 😆

Sorry to hear about the storm damage Diana. And that your tree survived. 😉

I was not good with food yesterday. We tried to experiment with our eating window, and it failed miserably. Wound up eating dinner at 9pm and it was not healthy at all. Oh well, now we know a breakfast and lunch only window doesn't work for us. Just lunch and dinner, or even only dinner has been pretty easy, so we're sticking with that. Kabobs and roasted veggies for dinner tonight.