1-28-21 Thursday Weigh-In ---Last Weigh-In Of The Month

Belle

Mel Kabobs and roasted veggies sound wonderful.  I'm going to add that to my listing of possible meals in the future.  I find I get in a rut of chicken, chicken, steak, chicken ... need to start looking at recipes again.  We did the different box meals (hello fresh), etc ... and I enjoyed the meals, but found what I really wanted for the 3 meals weren't available together (if that makes any sense).

Mel - also sorry that your dog has the "cone of shame" at this time point ... we've gone through that as well.

Ombud - hopefully you will be able to get the shot you want soon.

Having a little bit of a problem getting motivated ... so I booked another cruise (this is my bucket list - Med cruise 9/2023).  I now have 7 cruises booked - we will see how many actually happen!  Jan

• Like 1

Belle, hope you are having a nice weekend.

Mel, glad the dog is better. Sounds like you and hubby have found eating timing that most works for you. Have to stick with what works.

The kabobs and veggies sounds great. I love to cook that type of thing in the summer on the grill. 

Jan, nice you have some cruises booked. Hopefully some of them sail. I would hope the 2023 cruise goes. We can only hope things are much better by then. 

Diana

Good Morning on this Monday. Rise and Shine. Might be rising to

sun, rain, wind or snow....on the other hand maybe just go back to bed!

Rose--Hope your safe and sound your area suppose to get a bad storm. Stay safe!

Ca to get rain--Tx I don't know,  Everyone stay safe.

Ombud--Hope you don't have to wait to long for J J vaccine. Think at this time most people 

would just take what they could get. Since it seems hard to get any vaccine.

Mel--Glad your dog is getting better and can have the cone off for a while. I don't know

why it's so hard for us to eat at times. Some days we can not eat much and then other days

we're so hungry.

Jan--Me too. About getting motivated and booking another cruise. Hungry this weekend

been the same hope it still is tomorrow. I too book a cruise to Europe for Oct. 2021. Good ports, will cancel the July one because really changed the ports on us. Plus give longer time for things

to get better.  Glad you have 7 cruises booked and can take them. When I cancel July

will only have 4 booked.  Had more but got cancelled like everyone else in here.

Diana --Thank you, had a quiet weekend. How was yours? Hope you don't get to much rain

this time and your yard is fine. You have a cruise booked to, don't you?

I know Rose has a bunch booked to. Anyone else? Sure miss cruising. Hope it will be safe.

Hope we can take them... cruise line will have to decide if they sail and then we have have

to decide if we feel safe to cruise when our cruise time comes up.

tiv

Belle - When it gets closer to my Med cruise, I'm sure I will have a lot of questions - never cruised there before.  I'm excited!!!

So, my daughters best friend's daughter (wow - is that understandable) is a brownie and is selling girl scout cookies --- think I should buy some for DH .. but worried that I will snack on them.  They are now $5.00 per box ... I remember when they were 0.50 cents  - times have changed.

Trying to eat healthy with lots of salads.  Tonight into tomorrow we are to get snow - some where between 6 inches to 18 inches (will probably be closer to the lesser amount!!!).  I might make home made soup, salad and bread.  Or might just have steak, mashed potatoes another vegetable and salad.  I do love comfort food!

Hope everyone is having a good day.  Jan

Quiet in Houston.  Weather is great 50’s 60’s... really taking advantage.  Come summer  have to walk at 6:30 am to beat the heat (and mosquitoes)

I only have 2 cruises scheduled.  April PUGET Sound  (waiting is stressful)

don’t have any travel (air/ hotel) arrangements at this time .  

September  Portland Maine.   Hesitant to schedule anything else.  

Get my 2nd Moderna  tomorrow.   

Hello,

Belle, rain supposed to start tongiht through Wednesday. No crazy wind though.

Hubby and I only have 1 cruise booked this year, September. Doubtful it will sail. Not booking air or making shore excursion plans. 

The next booking we have after that is April 2022. "Slightly" more hopeful about that one......

Jan, I hope you get the lesser snow total.

Izena, awesome you are getting your 2nd shot.

Diana

Jan my cruise Portland to Bar Harbor - Castine / Belfast, Camden, Rockland, Boothby Harbor, Bath, Portland

1990 I traveled as far north as Bar Harbor.   My mother was from Kittery, ME.   My sister and I travelled working on the  family tree.   The  Chase, Frost, Welch, littlefields  date back to the 1620’s.  Took my GD to Maine in 2004 she loved it.   

I’m interested in small river cruising around the U.S. 

Hi all!

Jan ~ that was a lovely card you had framed, such a great keepsake.💖

You'll love a Mediterranean cruise. I've been on a few & just love the architecture, sights & of course the food!

I have a bus trip around Poland booked for Sept, then 2 Caribbean cruises in late Oct (MSC) & early Nov.(Carnival)

I also have 2 booked in 2022, Enchanted Princess at the end of March & NCL Star from Southampton in Oct. I'm thinking of adding the Queen Mary 2 back from that one for a different experience. It'd sort of be like my grandparents immigrating to Canada, an inside, so maybe close to "steerage", lol!

I also have a TA on Bliss from lovely Barcelona, booked for May 2023 so hope I'm still good to do that.

How did you east coasters make out with the storm? Get much snow?

Have a nice day & keep safe.

~ Jo ~ 😊

I think I'm going to have a good Thursday.  Stomach is getting flatter / not flat but better. Limiting all bread. Trading that for raw veggies.  No idea why I love veggies but rarely eat fruit. It's just not my produce of choice

Thinking about suggestions for Super Bowl Sunday. What are you serving (just 5 of us so I don't want to go crazy)

Rose and Jan, I hope you're not snowed in!

Diana - glad you're not getting the wind this time. We've got both mid 70's and mid 20's in this week's forecast. 

Ombud - Congrats on the progress! We're not big sports fans, so we're not watching the game. I make a copycat recipe of Chuey's jalapeno ranch dip that we eat with raw veggies instead of chips, so I would probably make that. I'm not a fan of mayo so I change it up, but the recipe is: 1 cup mayo (I use 1/2 cup), 1/3 cup sour cream (I use 1/2 + 1/3 cup to make up for the mayo), 4oz can chopped jalapenos, 4oz can chopped green chilis, 1/3 cup cilantro, packet of dry ranch dressing/dip mix, 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic. I don't drain the peppers or chop the cilantro - just dump it all in the food processor for a bit. We always have some in the fridge. 

Belle - We have one Caribbean in October that I'm pretty sure won't sail, the same one again in February '22 that I think is iffy, and Alaska in June '22. 

Izena - What an interesting genealogy trip. Was it a lot of work to get back far in your history? DH researches ours every now and then, but I don't think he has gotten very far.

Plumbers showed up this morning to lay the lines from the main to the equipment pad to the plumbing at the pool. We're supposed to get electrical, gas, stonework and tile done in the next couple weeks too, but our project manager hasn't given us dates.

Mel. We started gathering info in 1978.    My parents were alive and helped.  My father was 100% Bohemian, his grandparents immigrated in 1880.     My maternal grandmother immigrated in 1910 from Ireland. ( my mother had a rough childhood , Irish were not liked  and her father was a drinker.   

My great grandmother in Maine — survived/thrived the depression by making jams and jellies—- movies stars would drive up to buy from her.  Billie Burke “Glenda” the good witch  was one of her customers.

Cruises--- Cruises---Will they happen or not?

This is the month that started it all. I went on a b2b 10 day Mexico, then

a 15 day Hawaii cruise then 2 weeks at Travis Air Force Base and then 10

months at home so far. Out of that got 12 free cruise on 2 different lines---

got cancelled---now have have 7 but will cancel 3 and will have only 4  this year.

but will I? Will they cancel or will I?  Hope I keep them and you all get to----

Keep Yours!

Jan ask any questions, I like Jo have been on many cruises to the Med. Wonder

how the ones in Oct. will be? How the cruises will do them and how the ports will do them.

I just hope they don't take away my pleasure of walking around the city's.

Belle, You were supposed to get off a week before we were due to board. So glad you weren't ill. Yes, it's been a very quiet year 😴 

Izena, I'm always impressed when people know their family history. I found my grandparents graves. Grandma died in childbirth 1918, grandfather died 1920 pneumonia.  My other grandfather died 1925, grandmother never talked much. So no history 

Mel, thanks for the recipe. And I love the idea of raw veggies instead of chips

Edited by Ombud

Doubt my April cruise will happen.  It went from lots of available cabins over the weekend to none yesterday.    I check the  American Cruise Line forum — the American steamboat (a sister company) cruises are delayed until the summer and will require vaccinations. 

20 hours ago, Izena said:

My great grandmother in Maine — survived/thrived the depression by making jams and jellies—- movies stars would drive up to buy from her.  Billie Burke “Glenda” the good witch  was one of her customers.

What a great family story! The only interesting one I know about in our family is something involving a gun fight at a saloon in East Texas!😳  

Belle - our last cruise was Feb 7 last year - my MIL's birthday cruise. Hard to believe it has been a year.

Ombud - we love that recipe. We get it out everyday and snack on veggies and dip while making dinner. I think it has helped keep our dinner portions smaller because we're full on all the extra broccoli, cucumbers, celery, and carrots.

Izena - I live about 45 minutes from Bar Harbor - all of Maine is beautiful and there are so many places to visit!  We have been known to get the river cruises up our way - the Penobscot River (tidal river) runs through Bangor, and some of the smaller cruise ships will come up this far.

I've been interested in genealogy and have mapped my family for quite a few generations.  Nothing really interesting, although my grandmother came to visit her brother when she was 16 (from Sweden) - left her father a note saying she was never coming back.  She ended up marrying her sister-in-law's brother.   Now, my DH's family is a different story.  One came over on the Mayflower (everyone in Maine is related to that person - Including many actors, politicians, etc.) - another relative did not come over as he was hung by Lord Popham in 1593 as he was was an English Separatist Puritan, or Brownist, minister and was executed for his faith.   He is now considered to be a puritan Devine. In Boston near the north church there are plaques about other relatives.  It is a fascinating family - so interesting. Could tell a million stories!! 

Belle - I remember when you were on that cruise and we all worried when we didn't hear from you for awhile.  Can't believe how long we have been going through all of this.  Jan

Belle, I remember your ordeal from last year when you were on your cruise and COVID hit. Hard to believe we are a year later and how horrible this situation has become.

At least new cases are on the downswing. But then we have these new mutations and experts say more surges this Spring and Fall. Ugh, nightmare.

Jo, hope some of your cruises sail. Our last travel was in Nov. 2019. Not confident about travel at all this year. I've told hubby we may have to be happy with a car trip in the Fall to Reno or Lake Tahoe!

Mel, the dip sounds great.

We don't watch football, etc. so no parties/party snacks for us. We did have some bad snacks this week though. We bought avocados, made guacamole and had chips. Tried to not each too much of it. 

Ombud, hope the scale will be good to you. Usually if your body feels like it's making prgress the scale follows.

Jan, you will love Europe. Especially the food.

I think our taxes are mostly done, just waiting for a few more items. 

Have a nice evening, stay safe,

Diana

• Like 1

Update on my second vaccine.   Received 2pm yesterday.  Was okay yesterday.   This morning woke up not feeling right.  Thought it was related to diet so. Fixed breakfast.     NOT —- ran temp of 101, body aches, headache.  Took tylenol, took a nap.   Feeling better this afternoon.   Seems several people are having similar symptoms.  Took Moderna

Izena, its never a good sign when all the available cabins 'disappear' on the cruise. Good to know about issues with your 2nd Moderna shot. I was hoping to get a 1 shot vaccine but now the cruise lines seem to want 2 shots. I made a mistake 

Jan, Bar Harbor was a favorite port! Absolutely lovely

Diana, I love guacamole, maybe if I do veggies instead of chips?? Avocados are really cheap right now. GOOD NEWS: Oakland Coliseum was chosen as a mass vaccine site so maybe I can get back on the Safeway list. 

I'm sore. Back of thighs really sore. I know how to lift so I'm not sure why I'm so sore ... But the garage is cleaned out, trunk and back seat full of stuff for Goodwill tomorrow 

Looking forward to Belle's inspiring message and good results from everyone