I am interested in the Meuse river which is rarely mentioned as a separate entity on tulip time cruises but a few companies sail. Avalon one year started cruises in Namur but gave that up.

How do the sights along the river compare to the Rhine for example? Would it be an interesting change to see Namur, Liege and Maastricht instead of Koblenz and Cologne? I know this is subjective, but your thoughts are much appreciated.

Can you sail the Meuse further upstream from Namur on a large ship?

Thank you.

notamermaid

Our Scenic cruise on the Rhine in 2019 took a side trip from Nijmegen to Maastricht, but a lot of the sailing was at night so I can't comment much on the scenery. I'm very glad to have visited Maastricht; a very pleasant city (though very expensive). The bit of the river banks I did see, were nothing special - narrower and less busy than the Rhine, but typical landscape for that area; pleasant but nothing exciting. I too wondered about navigability upstream from Maastricht but it was idle speculation.

I did ask Scenic (and got no reply) about the route - we had been in Veere on Aug. 2nd, then went to Arnhem on Aug. 3rd, then Maastrict on Aug. 4th, and it seems to me it would have been more fuel-efficient to take the Albertkanaal from Antwerp to Maastricht rather than back-tracking all the way to the Waal and then taking the Meuse both directions (we ended up passing Nijmegen 3 times). But maybe the Albertkanaal is mostly industrial and isn't pleasant for tourism? I read that there used to be a narrow lock or low bridge that prohibited entry for 135m ships directly into Maastricht from the Albertkanaal, which might have affected sailing further upstream, but it was improved several years ago. At any rate, I have no complaints, just curiosity.

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed a very good question, and in all honesty one which we have not been asked about before!

There is an article here on Cruise Critic that gives you a little more insight into the river Meuse: https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=2380

But unfortunately there is nothing on sale for 2022 visiting these places, as yet.

Our best guess is that it will all be down to demand, and once travel gradually returns to normal you may see Avalon Waterways & also CroisiEurope begin cruising down this river once again.

SAGA River Cruises currently offer a cruise visiting Maastricht including a concert featuring the  famous Dutch violinist and conductor, André Rieu and his Johann Strauss Orchestra. This will be on sale very soon for 2022, and is one of our most popular cruises!

I'm sorry that there isn't much more detail we can give you on this, as it does look like a lovely river sail along.

Thank you. I guessed it would be an unusual question. I have looked at the Saga itinerary and it looks an interesting one. It must be real fun to see André Rieu live, he is such an entertaining conductor with a great way of presenting the lighter side of classical music with this orchestra!

notamermaid