Post Cruise Hotel/Experiences in Los Angeles

blitheone

We're so excited about our October cruise! And we're so doofily unelucidaed about what to do when we get off in LA (Long Beach?). 

The last time I was in Los Angeles was 34 years ago and traffic seemed to be an adventure then. I can only imagine the vehicular excitement now. Thus, we'll be depending on public transit/taxis/Uber.

We've only got 24 hours, so might any of you have suggestions on hotels not horribly far from LAX and unique things to do? Alas, we're Fashionably Old so keep that in mind. In other words, what might you or your fun parents like to do on a Saturday (Halloween, btw)?

If you are without a car and have only one night in LA, I don't think you'd want to stay at LAX.  There's really not that much around there...

Of course, a lot depends on what YOU like to do or want to do...BUT, if it were me, here is what I would do:

I would pick a hotel in Santa Monica--near the Third Street Promenade/Santa Monica Pier/Palisades Park.  Hotels can be a little pricey in that area...but, hey, it's one night...and it's the ideal area to be in if stuck without a car.

Top hotels are Loews, Fairmont Miramar, Marriott LeMarigot, Shutters at the Beach...but also look at the Wyndham, Huntley, Georgian, Shangri La, Marriott Courtyard, Hampton Inn...

Take a shuttle or Uber from the port and check in...Now you have some options...You can head down to the Venice Beach Boardwalk--a short Uber or bus ride away...or, if you want to do a lot of touring into Hollywood, Beverly Hills, etc., the HOHO bus tour uses Santa Monica as a hub...

Stroll along Palisades Park at Sunset for tremendous ocean and sunset views, visit the Santa Monica Pier...Lots of places for dinner, then stroll along the Third Street Promenade in the evening (hopefully this is all post-Pandemic and things are back to normal...

The next day, it's about a 10 mile Uber ride to LAX...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Halloween, try to get a room at Hilton Universal City and a ticket into Universal Studios.   

Another worthy suggestion! Oh man, I'm feeling so guilty about not being home for Halloween. We always dress up (okay, I dress up; my Beloved wears a foolscap), decorate outlandishly, with animations projected in the windows) and give out full sized candy bars (slid down a six foot chute this past year) to about 150 candy extortionists (only 75 distanced, masked kidlets in 2020). But it might be interesting to compare Universal Studios with Busch Gardens, Williamsburg's Howl-O-Scream, which is twenty minutes from home.

It's suppose to be very cool Halloween event that last a few weeks.  Tickets sell out for Halloween on certain nights so buy them soon if you want to go into the park.  I'm not sure how they limit the City Walk for Halloween.  But if you can't or don't want to spend the $$$$ for the theme park you could just walk over from the hotel and hangout on City Walk.   I just looked and the Hilton has rooms for $170 - $220 on Saturday.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2021 at 12:01 PM, blitheone said:

We're so excited about our October cruise! And we're so doofily unelucidaed about what to do when we get off in LA (Long Beach?). 

The last time I was in Los Angeles was 34 years ago and traffic seemed to be an adventure then. I can only imagine the vehicular excitement now. Thus, we'll be depending on public transit/taxis/Uber.

We've only got 24 hours, so might any of you have suggestions on hotels not horribly far from LAX and unique things to do? Alas, we're Fashionably Old so keep that in mind. In other words, what might you or your fun parents like to do on a Saturday (Halloween, btw)?

LA traffic has not changed, it’s still a mess. When we cruise out of Long Beach, we arrive a day early and head right down to Long Beach. Cruise day your right there, no 25 mile ride. Wake up and take your time heading to the port. There are hotels to choose from, all about a mile or so from the port. Lots of shopping and restaurants close by. There’s a free bus called the Passport. Bruin Steve has great info, but Venice Beach as well as all over downtown LA there are homeless living in tents on the sidewalks. 

14 hours ago, skrufy said:

LA traffic has not changed, it’s still a mess. When we cruise out of Long Beach, we arrive a day early and......

The OP is talking POST cruise, not pre and I think BruinSteve had the right answer.

Halloween Horror Nights wouldn't be my thing. I am more of a Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party kind of guy.