Hawaii to Toronto Flight Question

cantgetaname

I'm looking into taking a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii on Ovation of the Seas.   For the flight home to Toronto I have noticed that most of the flights I've seen were connecting flights in California.   Will I end up having to collect my luggage, go through customs, re check my bags and go through security again?   Or will I be able to connect relatively simply.   Or baring that, does anyone here know of an airline that goes direct from Honolulu to Toronto one way non stop (Early October). 

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, cantgetaname said:

I'm looking into taking a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii on Ovation of the Seas.   For the flight home to Toronto I have noticed that most of the flights I've seen were connecting flights in California.   Will I end up having to collect my luggage, go through customs, re check my bags and go through security again?   Or will I be able to connect relatively simply.   Or baring that, does anyone here know of an airline that goes direct from Honolulu to Toronto one way non stop (Early October). 

Thanks.

If you fly from HNL through LAX or SFO there is no customs.  Those are US domestic flights.  Your luggage will be checked through to YYZ and no fuss at all.

Westjet flies HNL-YYZ via Vancouver.  One flight a day most days, but Wednesdays and I think Saturdays there are two.  No direct, not that I’ve been able to find, anyway.  I’ve been researching flights for a December 2021 Pride of America cruise.

Edited by bookbabe

Why would a flight from HNL to LAX or SFO involve Immigration or Customs? A flight from the US to Canada would involve Immigration and Customs at your landing in Canada.

You also won't likely have Immigration or Customs when you arrive in Hawaii, as you will most likely clear those issues as you board in Vancouver.

8 hours ago, cantgetaname said:

Will I end up having to collect my luggage, go through customs, re check my bags and go through security again?   Or will I be able to connect relatively simply. 

As others have said-- no. You are connecting on a domestic leg within the US. 

8 hours ago, cantgetaname said:

Or baring that, does anyone here know of an airline that goes direct from Honolulu to Toronto one way non stop (Early October). 

That being said, if you are of similar mindset to me and like to just get the long flying out of the way in one swoop you can take Hawaiian Airlines nonstop from HNL to either JFK in New York or Boston Logan. Then Toronto would be a very easy connection. 

Both flights are on A330s with a fantastic first class lie flat product, premium economy with extra room, as well as plenty of rows in economy that are 2 seats together. Meals are served and are quite good. 

Personally, a longer flight in a widebody plane with real meal services beats the connection in California with narrowbody planes. 

I don’t know if is still available, but coming back from New Zealand in 2002 we flew Air New Zealand from Auckland to Honolulu and Honolulu to Toronto. (They are probably not flying right now, but also I don’t know whether that route still exists.) I don’t know whether they are allowed to carry passengers on only the second leg however. 

By the way, one way or return doesn’t usually matter any more. 

Edited by gnome12