Cruise to nowhere in UK

Pet

I'd be more than happy to either cruise either around the UK or just bob about on the ocean for a week on a cruise to nowhere.  If the latter I'd need the sauna & steam rooms to be operational as I need a shot of heat in these old bones & always spend an hour or so in the facility on 'normal' cruises.

All this depends on not having to isolate on my return home to Guernsey.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

I can't think of anything I would rather do less than a Cruise to Nowhere.  2 days at sea is enough for me.  I then need to get off and explore.

Would not be ideal for us either, but it would be better than nothing, and if priced accordingly we might be prepared to try one.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I can't think of anything I would rather do less than a Cruise to Nowhere.  2 days at sea is enough for me.  I then need to get off and explore.

That’s how we feel although we could possibly make an exception with Iona as we would work our way around all the Select Dining venues for some nice lunches 😂 The bigger problem for us would be the mask wearing around the ship. Whilst fully understanding the need for them, I can’t abide them and struggle for more than very short periods. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I can definitely think of things I would rather do.  Would tour with the car rather than do that.

Sadly I doubt you would be doing a world tour of any kind if that sort of cruise the only possibility.  Any sort of travel abroad this year is going to be iffy IMO.  Even when all uk adults have been offered both vaccine jabs, the rest of the world, including lots of Europe could still be in a bad way.

Land holidays are beginning to sound the best option to us for quite a while, but wonder how the cruise lines will fare if this does go on for so long.

EDIT  Sorry, just re read your post and proves I cannot read........

Edited by tring
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Thinking about it, the days that we enjoy least on a cruise are sea days when the weather isn’t good enough for people to sunbathe. It’s not that we sunbathe ourselves, but when those that do so can’t, the ships always feel crowded. We have been on all the P&O ships and feel that this has been the case with all of them. When a good proportion of passengers are on the open decks it’s fine, but if not we tend to spend time in our cabin away from the crowds. The problem with cruises to nowhere or around UK cruises (on days when there are no port calls) would be that the ships would feel busy (even with reduced passenger numbers) as the weather is rarely good enough to sit outside. Add to that the mask wearing unless seated and it just sounds hideous. 

• Like 2

Totally agree

I’ll sound very Hyacinth Bucket, but sometimes I despair of fellow passengers at times you describe.  Sitting for hours in ‘paid for’ venues, playing dominoes, or knitting, or sleeping, without even buying a single cup of tea;  taking off shoes and stretching out on benches or sofas in public areas; elbowing through to grab the alleged bargains at a tat stall; attending guest lectures but paying no heed, or disrupting others’ enjoyment

Pah!

signed

Hyacinth

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Thinking about it, the days that we enjoy least on a cruise are sea days when the weather isn’t good enough for people to sunbathe. It’s not that we sunbathe ourselves, but when those that do so can’t, the ships always feel crowded. We have been on all the P&O ships and feel that this has been the case with all of them. When a good proportion of passengers are on the open decks it’s fine, but if not we tend to spend time in our cabin away from the crowds. The problem with cruises to nowhere or around UK cruises (on days when there are no port calls) would be that the ships would feel busy (even with reduced passenger numbers) as the weather is rarely good enough to sit outside. Add to that the mask wearing unless seated and it just sounds hideous. 

Yes totally agree.  We spend as much time on deck as possible, but on inclement days I hate being inside the ship with all those people asleep everywhere!!  The odd lecture is OK, but one is enough.

On 2/7/2021 at 4:02 PM, hawkesbaynz said:

Gun Wharf Quay must be the only reason to go there......

Getting a ferry to France is not possible from Southampton. Taking a boat trip to look at the Royal Navy ships in Portsmouth harbour, Ferry to Ryde. Etc,

We travelled in 2019 to Northern Ireland and had the choice between doing the Giant's Causeway tour or the Game of Thrones location tour. We done the Game of Throne tour as it included the Causeway also but made  lots of stops along the stunning coastal route.

We used the large local sightseeing company, They picked us up from the port and pricing was much better than what was being touted on the ship.

https://citytoursbelfast.com/giants-causeway-tour-from-belfast.html

https://citytoursbelfast.com/game-of-thrones-tour-from-belfast.html

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 5:49 PM, terrierjohn said:

Would not be ideal for us either, but it would be better than nothing, and if priced accordingly we might be prepared to try one.

We booked on the Cunard ones for March/april this year. Prices were only slightly cheaper than what they would normally have been. We were on the 7 night 2 stops one, and for once in our whole life had booked queens grill...then it was cancelled.  So now this years pando, transferred to next year.