New Canadian travel restrictions

hcat

For details,   check Assoc Press news story...issued today. Very strict and costly to comply.

Seems not good for travel.. but maybe good for reducing spread of Covid. .Not sure what the Canadians down here in Florida & elsewhere will do about getting home

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hcat said:

For details,   check Assoc Press news story...issued today. Very strict and costly to comply.

Seems not good for travel.. but maybe good for reducing spread of Covid. .Not sure what the Canadians down here in Florida & elsewhere will do about getting home

Those who chose to have fun in the sun and to ignore the government's travel notices to avoid all non-essential travel outside of Canada will now pay the price. I really don't have a great deal of sympathy for them, and I fully agree with these measures being taken to help control the pandemic.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Those who chose to have fun in the sun and to ignore the government's travel notices to avoid all non-essential travel outside of Canada will now pay the price. I really don't have a great deal of sympathy for them, and I fully agree with these measures being taken to help control the pandemic.

100% - we have had these travel advisories for months and months and months.  ZERO sympathy.

• Like 2

Seahunt

Thanks  for laying it out..I could not make a link or cut and paste.

X has many Canadian customers so hope this thread does not  get moved.

Also hope this is temp and not a long term  added set back for cruising!

Sounds  like some new variants may be  more challenging than orig thought???

I take no position as I am not Canadian..was merely reporting what I read 

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The new mandate is in effect until April 30, so can have zero impact for cruises as things stand. I can, however, see this being extended  further, much like our border closures with the US. So far flights to and from the US have not been curtailed. The only impact is the testing and quarantine on return. Will it deter nonessential travel to the US? I hope so.

• Like 6

This is the result of people thinking the rules are for someone else and they can do what they want.  I feel sorry for the airlines involved but I thought I heard this AM that there would be some compensation for them.  It's high time this virus was taken seriously, especially since there are now new variants to respect.  I agree with the new policy and I hope it does not have to be extended beyond April 30.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Just curiuos about how air travel works presently in Canada for domestic flights.???

I am thinking there will  eventually be changes in the US for domestic flights....More testing required is a good guess!  We are lining up a place to get tested before a trip to NY which has strict rules...not so easy or cost free.  We will have both shots by then , we hope..but still need the test before and after travel. 

4 hours ago, hvbaskey said:

100% - we have had these travel advisories for months and months and months.  ZERO sympathy.

Absolutely.

I’m tired of the people who complain about their rights being violated. I have an idea...for those Canadians...if you want to play the game on your terms and you get infected, perhaps you can pay your hospital bill, out of your own pocket instead of asking the Provincial Government to pay for your own negligence. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Schmoe38 said:

Absolutely.

I’m tired of the people who complain about their rights being violated. I have an idea...for those Canadians...if you want to play the game on your terms and you get infected, perhaps you can pay your hospital bill, out of your own pocket instead of asking the Provincial Government to pay for your own negligence. 

well we have limited govt provided health care here, primarily Obamacare, good and very yay!!  But I will say the dopes who call this a hoax, please go away, hope you have great insurance.

Edited by LGW59

3 hours ago, mom says said:

The new mandate is in effect until April 30, so can have zero impact for cruises as things stand. I can, however, see this being extended  further, much like our border closures with the US. So far flights to and from the US have not been curtailed. The only impact is the testing and quarantine on return. Will it deter nonessential travel to the US? I hope so.

Me too, and with all due respect, many Canadians are coming here to get there shot.  Should not be happening

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, hcat said:

Just curiuos about how air travel works presently in Canada for domestic flights.???

I am thinking there will  eventually be changes in the US for domestic flights....More testing required is a good guess!  We are lining up a place to get tested before a trip to NY which has strict rules...not so easy or cost free.  We will have both shots by then , we hope..but still need the test before and after travel. 

This link should answer all of your question: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html#domestic

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Me too, and with all due respect, many Canadians are coming here to get there shot.  Should not be happening

i completely agree with you and I am Canadian. However, I may be wrong, but in the United States, my understanding of the on-going principle seems to be: People who can pay, get what they want, regardless of other considerations.

As a result, I was dumbfounded to hear of Canadians being able to skip the line in Canada (because they were not in a priority group for vaccination), and then find their way across the border to get vaccinated. In my opinion, this « money » privilege is unfair, both to Americans and Canadians. It almost reminds me of a recent University Admission scandal in the U.S.

In closing, I would like to add my voice to previous posters regarding the recent travel restrictions imposed by the Canadian Prime Minister. They are only fair and a bit overdue!

While most Canadians abide by the guidelines, including the curfew in Quebec; a small minority, decided to skip the regulations in Canada by having fun in the sun....only to return in some cases, with Covid or a variant in tow.

Consequence to people abiding by the rules: thank-you for your support, but thanks to these sun birds, your restrictions are extended for another two months, hospital surgeries are postponed and medical staff is more and more exhausted.

So I am really glad and hopeful that these new restrictions will help! 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, cachouonacruise said:

i completely agree with you and I am Canadian. However, I may be wrong, but in the United States, my understanding of the on-going principle seems to be: People who can pay, get what they want, regardless of other considerations.

As a result, I was dumbfounded to hear of Canadians being able to skip the line in Canada (because they were not in a priority group for vaccination), and then find their way across the border to get vaccinated. In my opinion, this « money » privilege is unfair, both to Americans and Canadians. It almost reminds me of a recent University Admission scandal in the U.S.

In closing, I would like to add my voice to previous posters regarding the recent travel restrictions imposed by the Canadian Prime Minister. They are only fair and a bit overdue!

While most Canadians abide by the guidelines, including the curfew in Quebec; a small minority, decided to skip the regulations in Canada by having fun in the sun....only to return in some cases, with Covid or a variant in tow.

Consequence to people abiding by the rules: thank-you for your support, but thanks to these sun birds, your restrictions are extended for another two months, hospital surgeries are postponed and medical staff is more and more exhausted.

So I am really glad and hopeful that these new restrictions will help! 

So accurate.  I live in (near) Boston, MA which has arguably some of the best hospitals and teaching universities in the world!?  We currently rank 26th in the US in vaccine rollout.  

6 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

So accurate.  I live in (near) Boston, MA which has arguably some of the best hospitals and teaching universities in the world!?  We currently rank 26th in the US in vaccine rollout.  

According to the NYT today Massachusetts ranks 35th.

8 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

We will need to agree to disagree, and I wish you would do so with a little more respect rather than lecturing me to get off the American soapbox.  Getting past that........  IMHO it was important for politicians to get the vaccine.  All too many people, particularly those of color (according to statistics, not my opinion) are afraid of getting the vaccine.  Politicians can and should lead the way by example.  As to athletes, perhaps we are watching different news shows.  The athletes and celebrities I've seen who have gotten the vaccine have been retired/65 and older.  I don't recall seeing any news about NBA/NFL players getting the vaccine.  Proof please if you have any.  And even if it were true, I believe there is a solid argument towards vaccinating them in the second phase.  In these days of high anxiety and serious lockdowns, being able to watch sports on TV has been one of the few pleasures keeping many of the men in my life going.  In such high contact sports, allowing vaccinations seems the humane thing to do.

There will of course always be those who abuse their power.  Shame on them.  But to paint a broad brush that this is the way the USA operates as a general principle is insulting and IMHO untrue.

We seem to agree on one thing - Dolly Parton is awesome.

Absolutely, Dolly is amazing, a true American treasure.  List of what I have seen who have received vaccine:  Tyler Perry, Harrison Ford, Sean Penn, Marco Rubio (Covid denier) Samuel Jackson, Kareem Abdul_ Jabbar.  Countless more, first ladies of governors in Kentucky, West Virginia, Kentucky also went so far as to vaccinate several former governors and their spouses, they jumped the line ahead of nurses and doctors.  Not looking to start a war on this, just pointing out, IMO, it is so wrong.

On 1/29/2021 at 8:43 PM, LGW59 said:

Absolutely, Dolly is amazing, a true American treasure.  List of what I have seen who have received vaccine:  Tyler Perry, Harrison Ford, Sean Penn, Marco Rubio (Covid denier) Samuel Jackson, Kareem Abdul_ Jabbar.  Countless more, first ladies of governors in Kentucky, West Virginia, Kentucky also went so far as to vaccinate several former governors and their spouses, they jumped the line ahead of nurses and doctors.  Not looking to start a war on this, just pointing out, IMO, it is so wrong.

Not looking to war, either but some of those actors you listed are over 65 and qualify.

What I find so very confusing is:

1) The Canadian border is closed to non- essential travelers

2) However, it is ok to fly into Canada

3) Why were Canadians and tons of other people permitted to

fly into USA?

4) Why is the USA paying for the vaccinations of Canadians and whoever else

does not live here?

Hmmmmmmmmm

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 7:49 PM, cachouonacruise said:

People who can pay, get what they want, regardless of other considerations.

This really isn't the case.   A lot of it is also tied up in our willingness to permit a large population of people living in the country without permission.  Equity issues get caught up when we try to do anything based on legal status and, heaven forbid, citizenship.

If we were talking about my second country, Mexico, I would agree with you 100% percent!

4 hours ago, nini said:

Why is the USA paying for the vaccinations of Canadians and whoever else

does not live here?

See comment above.  It really shouldn't be all that surprising to you.   Why else do we give out driver's licenses to people that don't have legal standing?

Edited by SelectSys

2 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

This really isn't the case.   A lot of it is also tied up in our willingness to permit a large population of people living in the country without permission.  Equity issues get caught up when we try to do anything based on legal status and, heaven forbid, citizenship.

If we were talking about my second country, Mexico, I would agree with you 100% percent!

See comment above.  It really shouldn't be all that surprising to you.   Why else do we give out driver's licenses to people that don't have legal standing?

please don't go there, it is totally not necessary

4 hours ago, nini said:

4) Why is the USA paying for the vaccinations of Canadians and whoever else

does not live here?

Because our politicians live in fear of public ridicule whether deserved or not.   They shut down a vaccine hub in Los Angeles this weekend because some were protesting.  They should have told the protesters to leave not the public gaining rightful access to vaccine 

15 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

please don't go there, it is totally not necessary

I was simply trying to educate someone who doesn't live in the US about how some of our decision making processes work.  As someone with one foot in two countries - US and Mexico,  I know that sometimes popular conceptions of foreigners looking in aren't always 100% correct.

Of course what you see in New England and what I see in San Diego are probably somewhat different as well based on our own regional culture and traditions.

13 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

They shut down a vaccine hub in Los Angeles this weekend because some were protesting

The shutdown lasted about an hour before the protesters were moved out.  Reminds me of the protests ealier this year shutting down freeways and city streets.  Fortunately no violence or property damage.

Edited by SelectSys

So, the airlines have cancelled all flights to Mexico and the Caribbean as requested by the Canadian government.  I checked for arrivals at Vancouver airport yesterday.  We have flights coming in from Tokyo, Seoul, Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Delhi, Manila, Taiwan.   Really?  Am I missing something?  Does any of this make sense?

• Like 1

SelectSys- Believe me... I get it. And I understand your explanation.

There is so much that does not make sense... flying into and out of Canada and USA

versus driving across the border.

The newest one is that restaurants can now open in Los Angeles (a quarter - one half

occupancy I think) BUT they are not to allow a television to be on 🤣

right before the Superbowl.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fairgarth said:

So, the airlines have cancelled all flights to Mexico and the Caribbean as requested by the Canadian government.  I checked for arrivals at Vancouver airport yesterday.  We have flights coming in from Tokyo, Seoul, Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Delhi, Manila, Taiwan.   Really?  Am I missing something?  Does any of this make sense?

Those flights from Asia likely have a high amount of cargo on board. Mexico/Caribbean flights are almost exclusively for discretionary leisure travel. That's the difference.