Do Oasis Class Ships Only Dock at Crown Bay?

Sun and Fun

We will be sailing on the Symphony of the Seas and have been reading that there is a new dock in St. Thomas and that Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas inly dock at the newer dock.

we have only ever docked at Havensight. Just wondering for planning purposes if when we cruise we can go out on our own and not on a ship excursion.

Yes due to the sheer size most RCCL and other larger ships like the QM will port at Crown Bay. Port schedules are often changed due to heavy ship days, but these ships will typically dock in CB.

You will still find shared and private taxis that will whisk you into town or to one of the beautiful beaches around the island. STT is small enough that you are within 30 - 40 minutes of the East End beaches. Or if you want some time in town followed by beach time, Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) is a short taxi from CB after dropping your purchases at your cabin!

12 hours ago, Sun and Fun said:

Just wondering for planning purposes if when we cruise we can go out on our own and not on a ship excursion.

If you are asking about COVID restrictions, I don't think they are clear yet. There was a big brouhaha early on when a tour operator proposed closing off a section of Magens Bay beach for cruise ship passengers They were to be taken from the ship directly to the cordoned off area and were to have no contact with locals. St Thomians were not pleased... Since there haven't been any ships since last year, who knows what will occur when they return.

5 hours ago, O2B@Cagain said:

If you are asking about COVID restrictions, I don't think they are clear yet. There was a big brouhaha early on when a tour operator proposed closing off a section of Magens Bay beach for cruise ship passengers They were to be taken from the ship directly to the cordoned off area and were to have no contact with locals. St Thomians were not pleased... Since there haven't been any ships since last year, who knows what will occur when they return.

More wondering if the Oasis class ships only dock at Crown Bay. In the event we are able to plan our own excursions or rent a Jeep, I was going to look into what is near that dock. 

I know there are rentals by Havensight, but I am not familiar with Crown Bay.

Yes self-excursions are the way to go, whether staying on STT or going to STJ. Taxis are easy and cheap, IMHO, and there are several off-the-beach snorkel spots, independent day sails, or cookie-cutter tours if that is your thing.

If you do decide to rent a sedan is all you need, and if you are new to driving on the left it doesn’t take long to get accustomed to it. Just be careful in parking lots, roundabouts, and remember to look right first...Can’t help with a rental as we always rent at the airport but you can Google that...

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 1

Well, it looks like Carnival is going to require guests to take their excursions only, once cruising starts up again. I suspect all lines will have this requirement. No self-tours will kill a lot of Caribbean economies, where small businesses are the mainstay.