Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

1 hour ago, Porcupine 52 said:

I got a email from Viking with a survey on what we would like to do for excursions in Antartica.  It was things like how experienced are you in kayaking... snow shoeing... do you want to camp out one night...It kind of made me think that Hey Antartica might Happen!!!!

We got the same survey (one for each of us).  We have already completed them and submitted.

My DH had been to the Arctic Circle in the past and he was asked if he would be willing to complete an additional survey for that region.  Since he was there as part of the USMC and not as a tourist, he did not chose to continue to the next survey as he didn't think his experience would be relevant for people looking for an expedition.

I also received the survey. There were several questions about scientific work on and off the ship. Maybe it will be some sort of lab or science facility? I thought the questions were very interesting, especially about sorting us into groups of like minded travelers.

The info I saw on the Exploration ships is they do have labs on them that will be accessed by passengers. Not sure what level of ‘work’ we’ll be doing, but there was info on samples and so on being taken during the cruises. Looks very interesting. I’m sure its set for the Arctic/Antarctic waters and I’m doing the Great Lakes, but you never know! 

They will have experts on board who will be doing the analysis and so on.

Den

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Oh for the days when "Corona" meant a Mexican beer, preferably on a beach.😎

well I did buy a little bit of corona stock... If I remember it is in Constellation brand?  Haven't check lately but it never hurts to advertise.

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2021 at 7:31 PM, Hallie0812 said:

We are on the February 26, 2022 cruise to Antarctica.   Thinking about going to Buenos Aries a few days early and a trip to Iguazu Falls.  Is anyone else going to BA early?

Oh, absolutely. We will be in Buenos Aires for three days prior to the official start date. We have been to BA twice before. Great culinary and culture. If you have time, Iguazu Falls is a must. If you could only go to one place on a trip to South America, it would be worth it just for Iguazu.

Tip: Stay at the Hotel Gran Meliá Iguazú, formerly the Sheraton. It is the only hotel inside the national park. As the park has opening and closing times, you are already inside the park in case you want to go for an early morning or evening stroll. The park is empty then except for those staying in the hotel.

Edited by emileg
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As of today, all Viking Expedition cruises to Antarctica for January and February 2022 are sold out in all categories.

Our final payment date of June 30 is approaching.

Until today, I have been very discouraged about the number of Covid-19 cases and low vaccination rates in Argentina. However, today I am encouraged. About two weeks ago, Argentina was administering about 150,000 doses a day. Over the last week, the country has averaged about 315,000 doses a day, and new infections are at 74% of the previous peak and falling. It is estimated that about 18% of the population is now fully vaccinated, on the basis of assuming two shots per person. If you would like to follow these stats from Reuters, here is the link.

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/argentina/

48 minutes ago, emileg said:

As of today, all Viking Expedition cruises to Antarctica for January and February 2022 are sold out in all categories.

Our final payment date of June 30 is approaching.

Until today, I have been very discouraged about the number of Covid-19 cases and low vaccination rates in Argentina. However, today I am encouraged. About two weeks ago, Argentina was administering about 150,000 doses a day. Over the last week, the country has averaged about 315,000 doses a day, and new infections are at 74% of the previous peak and falling. It is estimated that about 18% of the population is now fully vaccinated, on the basis of assuming two shots per person. If you would like to follow these stats from Reuters, here is the link.

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/argentina/

Has Viking been in contact with you with any updates regarding groupings for activities?  Does it actually look like the Expeditions will begin on schedule?  I'm book for January 2023, but I'm hoping that they will have a season's experience before I board.

28 minutes ago, Australia08 said:

Has Viking been in contact with you with any updates regarding groupings for activities?  Does it actually look like the Expeditions will begin on schedule?  I'm book for January 2023, but I'm hoping that they will have a season's experience before I board.

Depending on your cabin category, the ability to begin signing up for the activities occurs about three months prior to departure. The only contact I have had from Viking is a reminder that our final payment is due on June 30 for our January 2022 sailing. The email tells me to go to My Viking Journey, but when I go there, the site is still under construction.

And, an update to my previous post:

Doing my own math and assuming:

• 75% of the population is over age 14,
  • Every eligible person gets the vaccine,
  • And the vaccination rate stays the same,

Then it should take an additional 176 days to get every eligible person in Argentina vaccinated. Of course, as in almost every other country, not all eligible people will get the vaccine. Vaccine rates may increase or decrease. Nevertheless, I am now quite optimistic Argentina will recover and this cruise will be a go.

Edited by emileg

9 minutes ago, emileg said:

Depending on your cabin category, the ability to begin signing up for the activities occurs about three months prior to departure. The only contact I have had from Viking is a reminder that our final payment is due on June 30 for our January 2022 sailing. The email tells me to go to My Viking Journey, but when I go there, the site is still under construction.

Then it should take an additional 176 days to get every eligible person in Argentina vaccinated. Of course, as in almost every other country, not all eligible people will get the vaccine. Vaccine rates may increase or decrease. Nevertheless, I am now quite optimistic Argentina will recover and this cruise will be a go.

I hope you are right and the cruises for this season are a go.  I go into MVJ account regularly, but I have the "under construction" notice, too.   I'll be curious to know what type of experiences are offered to you, once the site goes live.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 10:38 AM, emileg said:

Argentina will need to decide how long they can stay locked down.  I think ( my guess is as good as any other) we may be in a Viking bubble.  That would be OK with me.... and FYI Argentina is a little different than most every other country.  If they tell you to get a shot you will get a shot!!

• Like 1

Emile - thanks for starting this thread.  My wife Patricia and I are on the January 23, 2022 Octantis to Antarctica.  Anyone else on that cruise?  We're planning on spending a few days in Buenos Aires before the cruise, and we're naturally very concerned about the COVID-19 situation there.  We're both fully vaccinated, but we don't know what Viking will do.  They already canceled two of our cruises, a South American ocean cruise and a Paris-Zurich river cruise.  We're hoping for the best this time.  Barry from Boynton Beach, FL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Covid status for Argentina: Over the last week, the country has averaged about 250,275 vaccines administered a day, and new infections are at 58% of the previous peak and falling.

Edited by emileg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 6:29 AM, Bridget2010 said:

I think that "delay until six months before cruising" has to be requested when the next cruise is booked.  I first learned about it when I booked directly with Viking and then transferred booking to my TA. I have actually gotten the "delay until six months before cruising" twice now. I cruise Viking a lot and really like them.

Our payment for Jan 12 Antartica was June 30 and we didn't ask anyone for a 6 month before cruising payment.

The situation in Argentina is not improving:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-15/argentina-struggles-to-fully-vaccinate-as-deaths-rise-to-100-000?utm_source=google&utm_medium=bd&cmpId=google

Anyone hear from Viking about Buenos Aires to Antarctica?  When would they cancel if necessary?  Future Antarctica cruises are already booked up for the next few years, and it would be very disappointing if we miss out!

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 8:29 AM, Bridget2010 said:

I think that "delay until six months before cruising" has to be requested when the next cruise is booked.  I first learned about it when I booked directly with Viking and then transferred booking to my TA. I have actually gotten the "delay until six months before cruising" twice now. I cruise Viking a lot and really like them.

Agreed.  I first learned last year that when you have another Viking cruise already booked you simply request the 6 mo. prior to cruising balance due date.  Had an Ocean booked on Jupiter Jan. 2020 when I booked the B2B Expedition on Octantis. Not until Sept. 2020 when making 2 River bookings for 2023 did the agent slip in the comment about qualifying for the 6 mo. deal.  I pointed out I should have the later due date for my Expedition as well since I had an active reservation for Ocean at the time.  Sounds confusing, but bottom line is I always point out existing reservations to them.  I have transferred several of these bookings to my TA who was not aware of this practice but certainly is now!

Here's to hoping a return to normalcy is soon -very soon!!

Cindy

15 hours ago, brosen1 said:

The situation in Argentina is not improving:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-15/argentina-struggles-to-fully-vaccinate-as-deaths-rise-to-100-000?utm_source=google&utm_medium=bd&cmpId=google

Anyone hear from Viking about Buenos Aires to Antarctica?  When would they cancel if necessary?  Future Antarctica cruises are already booked up for the next few years, and it would be very disappointing if we miss out!

Thank you for posting this informative article.

I am trying to be optimistic. The stats are not great, but are getting better. Since my post nine days ago:

Averaging 359,000 shots a day. 46.7% at least one dose.

New infections at 46% of peak and falling.

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/vaccination-rollout-and-access/

A kit can improve in six months.  Think about where the United States was six months ago. However, The U.S. had the advantage of the very highly efficacious Pfizer and Moderna Vaccines, where Argentina is relying on Sputnik V, Astra Zeneca and Sinopharm vaccines. The good news is that Pfizer, Moderna and J&J are on their way.

What is not a good sign, at least for the January and February expedition cruises to Antarctica, is that My Viking Journey is still "Coming Soon." We made our final payment for the January 12 expedititon. What happens, happens. If the cruise is a go, our health is still good, and travel between the U.S. and Argentina is permitted, then we are going. If not, we just saved a lot of money.

Just a heads up for those who are booking on the Expedition Great Lakes cruises, we are starting from Thunder Bay ON to Milwaukee and then onto Toronto, and the flights into Thunder Bay may be a bit of a challenge. 

If your local airport has direct flights to Toronto, you’ll do the normal 2-legged into Thunder Bay, but if you are like me, a smallish town airport, you’ll end up with a 3-leg connection and you’ll be getting into Thunder Bay late afternoon, after 5pm. 

We fly in the day prior on all cruises, but this one presents a bit of a challenge in that if there are issues, the only. ‘Backups’ are red-eyes into Toronto and then wait for morning flights and flying in the day of means you miss the departure. We are looking at flying in 2 days prior. Not at all interested in trying to catch up with the ship and so on, and as we always do, we’ll find great things to do in the departure port. 

Just a caution.

den

• Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 11:10 AM, Denny01 said:

Just a heads up for those who are booking on the Expedition Great Lakes cruises, we are starting from Thunder Bay ON to Milwaukee and then onto Toronto, and the flights into Thunder Bay may be a bit of a challenge. 

If your local airport has direct flights to Toronto, you’ll do the normal 2-legged into Thunder Bay, but if you are like me, a smallish town airport, you’ll end up with a 3-leg connection and you’ll be getting into Thunder Bay late afternoon, after 5pm. 

We fly in the day prior on all cruises, but this one presents a bit of a challenge in that if there are issues, the only. ‘Backups’ are red-eyes into Toronto and then wait for morning flights and flying in the day of means you miss the departure. We are looking at flying in 2 days prior. Not at all interested in trying to catch up with the ship and so on, and as we always do, we’ll find great things to do in the departure port. 

Just a caution.

den

Yes, I can see how flights could be challenging. For our Antarctic expeditions, we are required to fly into Buenos Aires at least the day before. The following day there is a charter flight to Ushuaia. We are fortunate that we live in the New York metropolitan area and can get a non-stop to Buenos Aires. But those people not near a major hub, also have to fly to one first, and sometimes even that requires two legs. I guess it is the price we pay for journeying to the far ends of the world. We decided to fly into Buenos Aires three days ahead.

Edited by emileg

23 minutes ago, emileg said:

Yes, I can see how flights could be challenging. For our Antarctic expeditions, we are required to fly into Buenos Aires at least the day before. The following day there is a charter flight to Ushuaia. We are fortunate that we live in the New York metropolitan area and can get a non-stop to Buenos Aires. But those people not near a major hub, also have to fly to one first, and sometimes even that requires two legs. I guess it is the price we pay for journeying to the far ends of the world. We decided to fly into Buenos Aires three days ahead.

Good idea going in early. Even with a one-legger, it is a looonng flight. When we went, we weren’t using a TA so we booked the Cruise Line hotel. Very nice and right downtown area. Did their Tango night and it was well done. Show Demo’d how the Tango started and evolved, and good dinner…..Argentine Beef and Malbec!

Wandered the shopping district and enjoyed….watch the pickpockets. Two men started following us so we stopped at an ice cream shop and paused there while they tried to look non-pickypockety and gave up. I use a travel vest with zipper pockets all over the place.My wife gets a kick out of watching me go through everyone of them looking for whatever. 

Enjoy! Hopefully, people get the shots more and we get this under control. It’s now the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated. Oh well.

den

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

Enjoy! Hopefully, people get the shots more and we get this under control. It’s now the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated. Oh well.

Yes, instead of calling it the DELTA variant, they should have called it the DARWIN variant.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2