New to river cruising

rfkeith10

We are new to river cruising but not to big ship cruising.  We completed our 21st cruise a couple years ago.  It is beginning to look like it will be several months before the larger lines will start back up--if at all in 2021.  That is the reason we are thinking about a river cruise with ACS.  I think we are looking at a Nashville to Memphis itinerary cruise in August on the Jazz.

Having never taken a river cruise, we don't know what to expect.  Teresia and I are hoping that some of you folks can give us some first hand accounts of your experiences with ACS.  I think that one of our biggest fears is not having as many activities as the larger ships do.  I guess the cruise experience is much different on a river cruise.  That being said, my mobility is getting worse and big ships are becoming more of a challenge.  I do use a collapsible travel scooter part of the time but I don't believe that would be an issue on the Jazz---but I don't know.

We would appreciate some insight into your experiences and recommendations on making the best of our cruise...

Ray & Teresia 

Edited by rfkeith10
spelling

• 1 month later...

Hi Ray and Teresia,

We have booked seven cruises aboard ACL (various ships) but have not cruised specifically aboard American Jazz.  We have also done two river cruises in Europe (with Viking) -- and well over 120 total cruises (river and/or ocean).

If large shows, with large song & dance companies, are  required for your cruise experience, you may be disappointed.  The on-board entertainment has met our "needs".  "Entertainment" ,in this case, includes guest speakers/performers from the locales of the ship's itineraries -- one of the "differences" we find most welcome.  The nightly "Happy Hours" are also nice opportunities to meet fellow passengers.

The travel scooter should not be a "problem," depending upon it's size.  I believe the Jazz has only two elevators, so there can be some bottle necking, at times, but most folks seem to use the stairs (there aren't that many decks.

When exiting and boarding the ship there have always been crew members willing and able to assist anyone with mobility "issues".

We find both the large ship and smaller river ships both wonderful venues to enjoy very different "cruising aspects".

We enjoy both very much.  If you have addition questions, send them along.  I'll try my best to help you out.

NRayH