Alaska early June

cruzgryphon

As mentioned here frequently, the weather in Alaska changes hourly...at least it seems that way. A Google search of weather for a couple of your ports would be beneficial.

The days are long. We did a 14 day Alaska cruise in June 2019. We dressed in every variation we brought, from shorts to totally bundled up. Temps from upper 70s, to highs of around 40. We had some rain, but nothing more than showers.

I have gone several times in June and it has been beautiful. I have seen wildlife on all of my trips.

May has the least amount of rain of the tourist season and June just has slightly more. Each month after has more rain. You are planning on going at a great time.

Dress in layers! Cooler in the mornings and gorgeous in the afternoons. Need to layer up on glacier days also wear gloves and ear protection (I am out all day).

We went first week of June a few years ago, RT from Seattle.  We saw whales, eagles, seals, and a couple bears. I like layers that we can easily add/remove and pack in a bag or backpack when off the ship.  Take a rain coat and make sure it's really waterproof before you go (water repellant doesn't cut it when its cold and wet).  We re-waterproof our rain gear and backpacks periodically with 303 Fabric Guard. Raincoats make an excellent wind-blocking outer layer, too, so we wore ours a lot.

We have a May 2022 Alaska cruise booked, and during my research I found this site.

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=viewing.when

At the bottom of the general wildlife viewing article there’s a link to specific calendars for the various regions.

I’m assuming that since the guide is done up by their Fish & Wildlife dept that it’s pretty accurate, but I have no first hand experience for that yet.

13 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

As Coral suggested bring layers. In Skagway, we have experienced 35C in June. Have also experienced gale force winds and heavy rain.

I had that in July once (heavy rains, fog, winds, etc...). It was purely awful. I went several years later that same week in July (over the 4th of July) and it was so hot and sunny, I got a sun burn.

Expect anything.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 9:33 AM, bookbabe said:

We have a May 2022 Alaska cruise booked, and during my research I found this site.

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=viewing.when

At the bottom of the general wildlife viewing article there’s a link to specific calendars for the various regions.

I’m assuming that since the guide is done up by their Fish & Wildlife dept that it’s pretty accurate, but I have no first hand experience for that yet.

Great site, thank you for sharing!

If you want to see bears you might try looking for a cruise that includes Icy Strait Point.  It is on a native reservation where one can take various tours that include hiking into various parts of wilderness.  We took one hike (with about 20 passengers) which was not very strenuous (only a few miles on easy terrain) where we did spot a few bears and other wildlife.   Our hike had a professional guide and an additional armed guard (he carried a nasty 45-30 short barreled rifle.  His job was to protect us in the very unlikely event that a bear might get too close or worse.  And before folks get bad thoughts he told us that they have never had to shoot a bear on any of the tours.  But it was nice having that security.  Our cruise was on Seabourn and the small number of passengers was very advantageous for some ports.  

Hank