Saga not accepting passengers from the U S.?

oskidunker

9 hours ago, oskidunker said:

My travel agent sent me a copy of a letter sent to her. Has this always been the case?

I'm an American and have booked with Saga before so I expect it is due to the pandemic and the various travel restrictions which keep changing.  I hope that's not forever as I have my eye on a 2022 cruise with Saga.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, comcox said:

I'm an American and have booked with Saga before so I expect it is due to the pandemic and the various travel restrictions which keep changing.  I hope that's not forever as I have my eye on a 2022 cruise with Saga.

May be but they wont take a booking now. 

Its a bit of an academic point , unless you want first to quaratine for 2 weeks in UK.

Secondly  I imagine they are just getting their minds around how people from UK prove they've been vaccinated.  Never mind how to do that for someone from US.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 3:46 PM, Windsurfboy said:

Its a bit of an academic point , unless you want first to quaratine for 2 weeks in UK.

Secondly  I imagine they are just getting their minds around how people from UK prove they've been vaccinated.  Never mind how to do that for someone from US.

NHS is giving out cards showing vaccine dates, etc.  The U.S., at least in our state, are doing the same thing.  We have a card showing which vaccine we got and on what date.

U.K. has shortened quarantine to 10 days now with Covid test on departure from country of origin.  You can also shorten quarantine period by taking another Covid test after 5 days in quarantine.  All the tests have to be documented.

On 2/3/2021 at 8:46 PM, Windsurfboy said:

I was/am booked on a Saga cruise on 6 May, now rearranged for 2 June. Someone from Saga rang me a few days after I was notified by letter to check if the new date was acceptable and to answer any questions. I asked how I would be required to prove that I had been vaccinated, and was told that I would need to show the NHS vaccination card.

Sadly, cards can easily be faked, unless they are backed up by a secure database.  Look at what is happening with fake covid test docs.

We took photos of each other getting the shots at our big county vax center.  Photos show the vaccinators, us getting jabbed, and general surroundings, plus photos of us holding up our new vax cards.

All of that can be faked with Photoshop 😞

3 hours ago, comcox said:

Where we live we are getting small cards with date, type of vaccine, etc.  but I have no idea if those will be accepted.  We are scheduled for second jab in ten days, hopefully, if supply comes in.

The cards you are getting seem very much like the ones being issued in the UK. Saga have said that these cards will be accepted ss proof that you have been vaccinated. 

Good luck with that, people are already whining that such passports are “unfair” to those that can’t, or won’t, get the vaccine...

In the US, we have a law called the ADA that would pretty much prevent such passports being used.  Unless congress amended the law, which is VERY unlikely to happen. In a nutshell, it says companies can’t discriminate against persons with medical or mental disabilities.  Fear of vaccination would likely be covered by the law....  Physical sensitivity to vaccines certainly would.  The lawsuits would be endless.

What does the US do about countries that ask for say yellow fever before they let people in ? I expect at moment accept it.

If it became the norm outside USA to have a vaccination passport to enter a country, 

would US ask for exemptions for its citizens,

or would they stick to no vaccination pasport rule an say hard luck don't go abroad 

Or would they create one but not allow use inside US

Much of the protests about unfairness/discrimination are from those who seem to think that the a vaccination passport is being made mandatory within their country.

I doubt that any country will make vaccination passports mandatory for their citizens.

It is quite possible that many countries will make proof of vaccination mandatory for others to enter,  sensible governments will discuss what type of proof will be universally recognised so that those who want one can get one.

I believe the vaccination passport will not be needed to leave your country - but it may be needed to enter another.

Just like you need a normal passport. Don't want to travel? no need for one. Want to travel? then get one.

20 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Good luck with that, people are already whining that such passports are “unfair” to those that can’t, or won’t, get the vaccine...

In the US, we have a law called the ADA that would pretty much prevent such passports being used.  Unless congress amended the law, which is VERY unlikely to happen. In a nutshell, it says companies can’t discriminate against persons with medical or mental disabilities.  Fear of vaccination would likely be covered by the law....  Physical sensitivity to vaccines certainly would.  The lawsuits would be endless.

In the U.S. I believe there has already been discussion that employers would be allowed to require their employees to be vaccinated so this may not be covered by ADA.  And, yes, we are required to have a Yellow Fever vaccination card to enter some countries; ADA does not apply.

Edited by comcox

20 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Curiously, my newspaper mentioned the US as being one of the countries with whom we are currently speaking regarding development😀

And which US airline will be first to deny boarding on a domestic flight to a Black family because they left their vax cards at home?  The correct answer is: none.

PS - it would only work if it was an FAA requirement, applied at security screening.  And you know the likelihood of that...

PPS - on a brighter note, vaccination rates are climbing fast, and new infections are falling fast, at least in California.  So maybe in a few months the vaccine passport will not be needed.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

Regardless of the ADA or any other law or regulation, there will be restrictions by whomever to avoid legalities associated with the COVID contagion.

Airlines already have mask requirements in place....no mask, no fly.

Cruise lines will make restrictions that will enable them to stay in business and passengers will comply.  Special interests will have their say, but in the end, business rules.

Example:  Many believe that OSHA in the US was made law to provide a safer workplace.  That is an ancillary benefit.  OSHA became law to benefit business.

"KEEP THIS CARD SAFE" is the message on the ones in the UK.

Saw 2 dropped on the pavement today (both with first doses filled in), looks as if they were dropped when getting in/out of the car.

Checked DH card was still safe (it is) and realised that his vaccinator has the same problem as me, remembering what year it is.. year is down as 2022.

Always said he was ahead of his time..😁

Not too bothered about whether proof of vaccine is/is not required - it is going to be a while yet before it all settles down and international agreement is reached on what needs to be done.

Some places/ships/airlines/countries will, some won't.

I'll worry about it as and when decisions are made.