Need some advice on effective vaccine scheduling?

Markanddonna

Just now, navybankerteacher said:

In CT the scheduling of #2 is part of the 15 minute “cooling off” period - using the info on the pass you got when you schedule #1 — the most efficient operation I’ve seen in years.

By the time we got home we each had emails for scheduling #2. Seems like some states/counties are doing a great job...and some not.

On 2/4/2021 at 5:10 AM, Roz said:

This is just an overall comment about Covid vaccine scheduling in general.  It shouldn't be so darn hard to get a life saving inoculation.  This is not a 3rd world country.

On 2/4/2021 at 5:15 AM, Markanddonna said:

It was like a full time job searching for a vaccine appointment. The senior version of the Hunger Games.

With limited doses available I don't see how we can expect otherwise.  Not too long ago there was criticism about pushing the vaccine.  Now that we have one, it appears there is a criticism we should have pushed harder.   But I admit with the ample notice of a pending vaccine(s), it sure seems there was lack of focus by many States on planning for distribution.  

One thing I have noticed in the past week: a person who wants the vaccine needs to register with multiple agencies, hospital systems, and pharmacies. My SIL doctor said his hospital has gone to a random selection system. That appears to be true. In the last few days, my husband has received two texts giving him an invitation to register for an appointment. I'm two years younger with no comorbidities and have received zero texts.

Two weeks ago, diligence paid off by frequently checking for vaccination appointments. These opportunities seem to have disappeared. I received my shot on Tuesday, but check for friends. The rural areas that allowed phone calls have gone to online only because each phone call took 15-20 minutes of their staff's time. Very inefficient. 

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

With limited doses available I don't see how we can expect otherwise.  Not too long ago there was criticism about pushing the vaccine.  Now that we have one, it appears there is a criticism we should have pushed harder.   But I admit with the ample notice of a pending vaccine(s), it sure seems there was lack of focus by many States on planning for distribution.  

Agreed - having had many months available, it is obvious that many dropped the ball in - a) Logically scheduling eligibility tiers, b) Setting up procedures for scheduling appointments, and b) Putting the word out about eligibility and scheduling.  I was impressed by CT’s eligibility and appointment rules - but remain stunned by the lack of coherent information being put out.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Agreed - having had many months available, it is obvious that many dropped the ball in - a) Logically scheduling eligibility tiers, b) Setting up procedures for scheduling appointments, and b) Putting the word out about eligibility and scheduling.  I was impressed by CT’s eligibility and appointment rules - but remain stunned by the lack of coherent information being put out.

Combination of issues.  

The vaccine rolled out much faster than most people anticipated.

Vaccine rollout wasn’t most governor’s top Covid priority, maybe not even the top 5, for most of the pandemic. Out of ventilators, out of ICU beds, shortage of medical personnel, shortage  of PPE, shortage of Remdesivir, morgues overflowing, and getting no help from the feds.  Pretty much nobody in that situation is going to be focused on developing a robust vaccination program, but rather most resources are going to be focused on triaging the immediate issues instead of a theoretical vax. 

Also given the national emergency it would have made sense to develop ONE system rather than require 50 teams to develop 50 systems.  

38 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Combination of issues.  

Vaccine rollout wasn’t most governor’s top Covid priority, maybe not even the top 5, for most of the pandemic. Out of ventilators, out of ICU beds, shortage of medical personnel, shortage  of PPE, shortage of Remdesivir, morgues overflowing, and getting no help from the feds.  Pretty much nobody in that situation is going to be focused on developing a robust vaccination program, but rather most resources are going to be focused on triaging the immediate issues instead of a theoretical vax. 

Also given the national emergency it would have made sense to develop ONE system rather than require 50 teams to develop 50 systems.  

Actually, rollout of the vaccine had been widely predicted - from May - to take place on or about Election Day - so six months would have been ample time for all states to have come up with procedures for such a vital element in dealing with COVID..   Very few states were involved with high infection rates in the first few months.

It is obvious that a number of governors failed in many aspects of dealing with COVID -hardly news.   

While a uniform nationwide program may have made sense, it was not applied (perhaps because so many state governments wanted control) - but RESPONSIBLE state governments should have stepped up to the plate.

At this point, a number of states still seem to be mucking around with no clear focus;  sadly making a strong argument against states rights and in favor of Federal government control — which is diametrically opposed to what many of the most tardy states claim to want.

On 2/3/2021 at 10:16 PM, ldubs said:

X2.  Our county's public health web site has very good info about the vaccines and how to schedule.  

In my county, folks "register" when their tier is up.  Then they are notified when they can go online to submit an appointment request.   There is a phone # for those who can't access the internet, but how do they know if they can't access the internet.   I can sure see how those not comfortable with technology might have a harder time.      

For us scheduling appointments was very easy.We got a date for the first shot two days after going on line and the second shot 21 days later.

The first shot was in our local hospital and the second in an annex of the hospital.

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

With one exception, I have no problem with our tiered criteria other than it sometimes seems to change according to the PC whim of the day.   I wish the politicians would shut the hell up and let our public health experts run things.   

What I don't like are the California politicians who are not on any of the currently approved tiers and were among the first to receive the vaccine, as far back as December.  Our state's politicians are far from essential and should have waited their turn.  

5 hours ago, ed01106 said:

Combination of issues.  

Naw, other than the last paragraph, which makes a lot of sense, I ain't buying it.   Too many gov's were into political theater instead of dealing with the pandemic.  They did not handle their responsibilities well. 

I guess I was lucky. I went on line on a Tuesday and had an appointment for that Friday. I got the appointment for the second dose when I got the first one. 

The problem in getting appointments is multifaceted. The demand is high and the supply has still not caught up. There are not enough people available to inoculate people. As the J&J vaccine comes out that is given in one dose and doesn't have the refrigeration requirements of the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines things will get easier. We have another 6 - 8 months of this so there is no point in getting in a hurry.