refunds

On 2/22/2021 at 7:34 AM, MMDown Under said:

Sorry to hear that you haven't received a refund from your TA, despite Celebrity Cruises refunding money to TA since at least 16 November 2020.  Whilst I understand cruise lines want you to deal direct with TAs not the cruise lines, they can't just wipe their hands of the non refund of your cruise fare by the TA.  Who would use a TA in the future, if this is the case?

Agree, TAs themselves aren't encouraging us to use them when you get this scenario.  So we had to wait in the 'queue' at Celebrity for them to process the refund to our TA, now we're in the TA's 'queue'.   In the future I'll be booking direct with the cruise line and that way have control over matters.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

Agree, TAs themselves aren't encouraging us to use them when you get this scenario.  So we had to wait in the 'queue' at Celebrity for them to process the refund to our TA, now we're in the TA's 'queue'.   In the future I'll be booking direct with the cruise line and that way have control over matters.

Agree, paying cruise line direct is best way to go.  I'm so glad I'm a last minute traveller, so am less likely to be caught out with paid cancelled or rerouted cruises.  

I suspect fewer cruisers will be paying big deposits or making payment for cruises a long time in advance in future, when they can't apply for refund through their credit cards.  

To update my own situation...

Royal Caribbean gave an undertaking to Consumer Protection that they would issue the refund within three weeks. At three weeks and one day, I called the TA, who acknowledged they had received the refund, and it was "in the queue" to be refunded to me.

Tomorrow will be a week since then, and if I don't have the funds, it will be back to Consumer Protection. I feel a week to process is more than sufficient.

I also will never deal with a travel agent again. Other than delays, the simple fact that I cannot talk to the cruise line, and therefore have no way to know if the TA is telling the truth is enough for me to wash my hands of them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

To update my own situation...

Royal Caribbean gave an undertaking to Consumer Protection that they would issue the refund within three weeks. At three weeks and one day, I called the TA, who acknowledged they had received the refund, and it was "in the queue" to be refunded to me.

Tomorrow will be a week since then, and if I don't have the funds, it will be back to Consumer Protection. I feel a week to process is more than sufficient.

I also will never deal with a travel agent again. Other than delays, the simple fact that I cannot talk to the cruise line, and therefore have no way to know if the TA is telling the truth is enough for me to wash my hands of them.

Sorry to hear you still don't have your refund.  It beggars belief that your TA isn't even taking notice of Consumer Protection and is not keeping their word to them. "In the queue" seems to be a standard response.  It will be interesting for us all if you'd be good enough to keep this thread up to date on your situation, which I'll do as well.

30 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

Sorry to hear you still don't have your refund.  It beggars belief that your TA isn't even taking notice of Consumer Protection and is not keeping their word to them. 

The response to Consumer Protection was from Royal Caribbean, and they have actually stuck to this and refunded the money to the TA within the promised time. Even Consumer protection suggested I give the TA up to a week to process back to me, which is probably more than sit should take, but in the current  climate, I'll give them a week.

8 hours ago, cruisingaussies said:

Thanks, good idea.  I re-sent the message this morning and so far, no auto reply.  Fingers crossed he's got the message.

If I don't get anything back in a day or two I'll try sending a text.

Pleased your message got through. If my response is anything to go by, I got an email the next day not from Carl Frier himself but a girl, cannot remember her name, who said I would get my refund in three days. She was true to her word but it did take a few  more days before I could see the payment on my credit card. Keep us up to date and good luck.

After all I have been through chasing refunds from travel agents I will be joining others on this forum and will never use a travel agent again. They have made  getting my money back worse, I was stupid enough to think they were there to help me.

• Like 2

I am also unlikely to use a TA in the future. Had to use my credit card charge back process to get both our fully paid cruises back last year. One agent had the cheek to contact me and ask me to remove the charge back and then they would magically refund me. I declined, as if I removed the charge back I could not reinstate the claim with my bank if they did not come through with the refund. I feel that if I had not instigated the charge back I would still be waiting for the refunds 9 months later. 

Further update:

Today, a week after the TA confirmed they have our refund, there is no sign of it in our bank account.

I called them again, only to be told it was "still in the queue". I advised them this was unacceptable, and that I would be going back to Consumer Protection. I confirmed the amount of the refund and our bank details, both of which are correct.

I have now emailed back to Consumer Protection.

17 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

Further update:

Today, a week after the TA confirmed they have our refund, there is no sign of it in our bank account.

I called them again, only to be told it was "still in the queue". I advised them this was unacceptable, and that I would be going back to Consumer Protection. I confirmed the amount of the refund and our bank details, both of which are correct.

I have now emailed back to Consumer Protection.

Bad news, let us hope your TA has not misappropriated it.👮‍♀️

7 hours ago, NSWP said:

Bad news, let us hope your TA has not misappropriated it.👮‍♀️

So... I went back to Consumer Protection, who contacted RC and were advised the refund was sent to the TA on 8 February. This means they have been sitting on my money for two and a half weeks.

I have asked the phone monkey at the TA to escalate this as it is unacceptable. Unfortunately, they don't work on Fridays, so I can't do any more until next week.

15 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

So... I went back to Consumer Protection, who contacted RC and were advised the refund was sent to the TA on 8 February. This means they have been sitting on my money for two and a half weeks.

I have asked the phone monkey at the TA to escalate this as it is unacceptable. Unfortunately, they don't work on Fridays, so I can't do any more until next week.

I've contacted the ACCC and got a standard copy, amend slightly, and paste job, full of platitudes.  Obviously they hadn't read my message.  It seems in WA you at least have someone who listens to you. 

Well, cruise1st have been holding our refund since at least 16 November, so more than three months, and I'm not getting anywhere with them.  I hope you can escalate your refund quickly.

I'll send another email plus a text message to Carl Frier on Monday if nothing has happened.  Other than that, I just don't know what else to do.  DH said if they were holding our full payment, instead of only the deposit, he'd be on their doorstep in North Sydney, demanding our money back.

I'm amazed that this board isn't inundated with people in a similar situation, probably because a lot of Aussies aren't aware that Cruise Critic exists.  

It's a big joke that this TA is still sending out marketing emails.  You'd have to be barking mad to book anything at the moment, and especially with them.

18 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Is this who you were speaking to?

Monkey on phone Photograph by Lise Gagne

Looks about right...

It's pointless me going off at the bloke on the phone, as he probably can't do anything to assist me, hence escalating to someone that (hopefully) can help.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

Looks about right...

It's pointless me going off at the bloke on the phone, as he probably can't do anything to assist me, hence escalating to someone that (hopefully) can help.

I agree, it isn't the person on the phone's fault, it's Management, who are all in hiding.  I'll be interested to see if you get through to someone in authority.  If you do, I'll try 'phoning.  You do seem to be getting a lot further than I have and I've been trying to get our money back since the cruise was cancelled mid-September.

20 hours ago, cruisingaussies said:

I've contacted the ACCC and got a standard copy, amend slightly, and paste job, full of platitudes.  Obviously they hadn't read my message.  It seems in WA you at least have someone who listens to you. 

Well, cruise1st have been holding our refund since at least 16 November, so more than three months, and I'm not getting anywhere with them.  I hope you can escalate your refund quickly.

I'll send another email plus a text message to Carl Frier on Monday if nothing has happened.  Other than that, I just don't know what else to do.  DH said if they were holding our full payment, instead of only the deposit, he'd be on their doorstep in North Sydney, demanding our money back.

I'm amazed that this board isn't inundated with people in a similar situation, probably because a lot of Aussies aren't aware that Cruise Critic exists.  

It's a big joke that this TA is still sending out marketing emails.  You'd have to be barking mad to book anything at the moment, and especially with them.

I am really sorry you still haven’t received your refund. I feel almost as determined as you are to get you a refund. So here is what I would do. First thing on Monday email and text Carl Frier so he knows you are on his case. Next email liz.krstevski@cruise1st.com.au she is the sales and operations manager. A moment ago I sent her an email and it went through so she is still working there. I was like you and emailed ACCC and got the same rubbish reply you got, not sure they even bothered to read my email so I then went straight to the top and emailed Rod Sims. Your third email on Monday morning is to him rod.sims@accc.gov.au telling him your problem and asking for his help. 
Keep in touch because if none of that works I have one more avenue we can explore, let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. Good luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jland said:

I am really sorry you still haven’t received your refund. I feel almost as determined as you are to get you a refund. So here is what I would do. First thing on Monday email and text Carl Frier so he knows you are on his case. Next email liz.krstevski@cruise1st.com.au she is the sales and operations manager. A moment ago I sent her an email and it went through so she is still working there. I was like you and emailed ACCC and got the same rubbish reply you got, not sure they even bothered to read my email so I then went straight to the top and emailed Rod Sims. Your third email on Monday morning is to him rod.sims@accc.gov.au telling him your problem and asking for his help. 
Keep in touch because if none of that works I have one more avenue we can explore, let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. Good luck.

Thanks so much jland, I'll be on to it first thing Monday and will post any outcome here.

I just received an email from Cunard saying the FCCs for the cancelled late January NZ cruise are now on our Cunard accounts. The cruise was actually cancelled around the middle of last year. 🙄

I'm glad I didn't wait until now to book a replacement cruise. As soon as the cancellation was announced I booked a Xmas/NY NZ cruise for December this year. I'll just apply the FCCs to that one.

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I just received an email from Cunard saying the FCCs for the cancelled late January NZ cruise are now on our Cunard accounts. The cruise was actually cancelled around the middle of last year. 🙄

I'm glad I didn't wait until now to book a replacement cruise. As soon as the cancellation was announced I booked a Xmas/NY NZ cruise for December this year. I'll just apply the FCCs to that one.

I must be the only person on here with no cruises booked.😬

39 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Aren't they based in Canberra? If so, send the heavies around to have a chat with them!🤣

No, the CC member cruisingaussies are from Sydney,  They had said on Last Saturday that they would call on Monday and let us know. They haven't returned as yet with a result. (post 42).

I can confirm that it's definitely another week with no money for me. 

Have now emailed the TA advising I will be commencing legal action to recover my money as they have had the funds for more than three weeks.

• Like 1