refunds

7 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

I can confirm that it's definitely another week with no money for me. 

Have now emailed the TA advising I will be commencing legal action to recover my money as they have had the funds for more than three weeks.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I have just spoken to the Australian Federation of Travel Agents (AFTA).

They have advised that if I have not had the refund within two weeks, they will pursue the matter with the TA.

Edited by Balsam12
  • Like 2

I must have been lucky or good at my selection of TA's  I used 3 different ones that cruises  were impacted by cruise cancellations and in every case got the monies back  and credited to another booking within a couple of weeks - sometimes quicker.  The only problems I had were with flights.  I booked on with A Spanish TA via skyscanners  (never again)  Travelgenio kept my money for almost a year and until I contacted the Spanish Tourism licensing board I was not even getting proper answers from them  then suddenly  I got the refund (less $28 which I suppose could have been currency differences )  The other flight with Singapore airlines was slow but they did reply regularly and I got back the whole amount.   Just when I was thinking of using my c/c travel insurances I noted that no cancellations due to Covid would be covered so I was lucky 

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

No, the CC member cruisingaussies are from Sydney,  They had said on Last Saturday that they would call on Monday and let us know. They haven't returned as yet with a result. (post 42).

OK, I thought you were referring to one of the OZ TAs.

An update from me.  I emailed Carl Frier, also found the name of the Assistant Finance Manager, copying them both in on the entire history of my communications with their company.  I pointed out to the Asst Finance Manager that their dept obviously has clues as to when I may receive my refund.  I thought I'd give them a week to respond.  No surprise that I've received nothing.  I should think the policy is to delete any messages received from the general public.

I also emailed Rod Sims, ditto, no reply.  I wonder just what the ACCC does then, they're not protecting consumers as far as I can see.

I had thought of contacting AFTA, please see my next post.

21 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

I have just spoken to the Australian Federation of Travel Agents (AFTA).

They have advised that if I have not had the refund within two weeks, they will pursue the matter with the TA.

Hi Balsam12

As per my above post, I had thought of contacting AFTA.  Would you be kind enough to share what course of action you took?  I've found a phone number in Sydney 9287 9900.  Is this the number you called and who did you speak to?  I'm going to get on to this on Monday.  It'll be over 24 weeks by then since I requested a refund. At that time, the TA were advising a delay of 8-12 weeks for refunds and I believe that should apply to me.  They changed this advice, which is still current on their website, to 16-20 weeks.  Even by this advice, they are way behind with my refund.

Thanks

I've just emailed the Captain's Club, although I expect they'll only refer me to Celebrity Australia.  So I've also emailed them, asking for confirmation that they've refunded the TA.  I pointed out that, as much as we'd like to consider booking future cruises and support the industry, there's no way we'll even think about it until this matter is resolved.

I also said that even if they have refunded the TA, these refund issues will still reflect badly on Celebrity, as many passengers would not know where their money is and are still highly likely to be blaming Celebrity for the delays.

I honestly don't expect much to come out of these two emails but you never know. 

35 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

Hi Balsam12

As per my above post, I had thought of contacting AFTA.  Would you be kind enough to share what course of action you took?  I've found a phone number in Sydney 9287 9900.  Is this the number you called and who did you speak to? 

I initially contacted Fair Trading NSW as the TA is located in Sydney.

They suggested contacting AFTA in the first instance and gave me the number 1300 363 416.

I called, and negotiated my way through their menus, getting through to a lady by the name of Gina.

She initially asked for my story without the name of the TA, and then asked for that information at the end. Once hearing who the TA is, she seemed very confident that I would get the money, and that they were in no danger of going bankrupt. As I posted earlier, she then advised me to wait two weeks, and if there was no money by then, she provided her direct email for me to get back in touch.

Cheers,

Balsam

4 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

So I've also emailed them, asking for confirmation that they've refunded the TA. 

I tried that line with RC, and as always, the cruise line refuses to discuss any financial matter with the customer when there is a TA involved.

This has basically sealed the deal on never using a TA again. I think I posted earlier, we are completely at the mercy of the TA, and have no way to even know if they are telling us the truth.

Unfortunately, I have another booking with the same TA, which was made well before the Covid outbreak. We had only paid $2.00 deposit on that one, but then the next payment of $800 was due. Balcony cabins on the cruise were sold out, or we would have simply made a new booking and given up the $2.00, so we had to pay the $800.

Once we sort out this refund, I will be requesting the TA to release the booking back to the cruise line. I wonder how hard that fight will be...

Thanks so much for the info.  I expect you were given the 1300 number as you're not in NSW.  I've found another 1300 number on AFTA's website (1300 663 229).  Think I'll try the number you rang first as you did get someone to listen to you.

Friends were, co-incidentally, booked on the same cruise as ours.  They had booked through a TA, then decided to hand the booking back to Celebrity direct.  I believe it was straightforward.  That was a smart move and I wish I'd done it, as they had their refund about four weeks after the cruise was cancelled.

It's a pity we can't get some press on our situations and get TAs to ramp up refunds, if they want to protect their business.  Acting as they are in our cases they are only badly damaging their reputations.  I used to work in the travel industry and almost always booked through a TA.  Just like you, I don't think I'll use one again.

Edited by cruisingaussies
correction

24 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

Thanks so much for the info.  I expect you were given the 1300 number as you're not in NSW.  I've found another 1300 number on AFTA's website (1300 663 229).  Think I'll try the number you rang first as you did get someone to listen to you.

Friends were, co-incidentally, booked on the same cruise as ours.  They had booked through a TA, then decided to hand the booking back to Celebrity direct.  I believe it was straightforward.  That was a smart move and I wish I'd done it, as they had their refund about four weeks after the cruise was cancelled.

It's a pity we can't get some press on our situations and get TAs to ramp up refunds, if they want to protect their business.  Acting as they are in our cases they are only badly damaging their reputations.  I used to work in the travel industry and almost always booked through a TA.  Just like you, I don't think I'll use one again.

Time for 'a current affair or '60 minutes', or 'this day tonight.' Bit of Media exposure.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

Exactly.  Not sure how one goes about it but if this continues to drag on and I have time, I may look into it.

Whack an E mail into Ch9 or 7, I am sure someone will follow it up.

2 hours ago, cruisingaussies said:

An update from me.  I emailed Carl Frier, also found the name of the Assistant Finance Manager, copying them both in on the entire history of my communications with their company.  I pointed out to the Asst Finance Manager that their dept obviously has clues as to when I may receive my refund.  I thought I'd give them a week to respond.  No surprise that I've received nothing.  I should think the policy is to delete any messages received from the general public.

I also emailed Rod Sims, ditto, no reply.  I wonder just what the ACCC does then, they're not protecting consumers as far as I can see.

I had thought of contacting AFTA, please see my next post.

cruisingaussies, I have been waiting for your update. Did you email Liz Krstevski as I suggested? As you have now emailed Rod Sim and been ignored you should go to the next step. I read a while back in the escape section of the Sunday Telegraph a letter from a man in your situation. He also had written to ACCC and Rod Sims with no reply, so here is what he did.

He contacted his federal mp, it has to be federal because ACCC is Australian wide, who then wrote to Rod Sims on his behalf, the matter was resolved very quickly and a refund obtained.

When I had a problem with Ponant who were adamant they would not refund I took this advice and contacted my federal mp. It is his first term and at first was unsure if it was ethical for him to approach ACCC, he got advice, got back to me, asked for copies of all the emails I had sent and then wrote to Rod Sims on my behalf. I had my refund from Ponant within two weeks.

I still have the letter from the escape supplement just not sure how to put in on here.

I can only suggest you get in touch with your federal mp, that should get you your refund. Good luck, keep in touch.

• Like 1

I've now put all the details in writing to AFTA, who promise to follow up with the cruise agent.

I was impressed that Celebrity (USA) rang me this morning, regarding my email to them.  They confirmed that they refunded my full deposit to the cruise agent on 05 October.  That means they have been holding on to my money for five months.  That is utterly disgraceful.

I'll wait until the end of this week, then if nothing has happened, try my Federal MP (thanks!).

We really should not have to go through all of this to have our own money returned.

2 hours ago, cruisingaussies said:

I've now put all the details in writing to AFTA, who promise to follow up with the cruise agent.

I was impressed that Celebrity (USA) rang me this morning, regarding my email to them.  They confirmed that they refunded my full deposit to the cruise agent on 05 October.  That means they have been holding on to my money for five months.  That is utterly disgraceful.

I'll wait until the end of this week, then if nothing has happened, try my Federal MP (thanks!).

We really should not have to go through all of this to have our own money returned.

I agree with your comment that it is utterly disgraceful for a TA to hold your money for five months. They should easily be able to process refunds in five weeks - not five months. You should not have to jump through all these hoops and have the stress involved, just to get your money back.

4 hours ago, cruisingaussies said:

Cruisingaussies if I was you I would not be waiting a week to get in touch with my federal mp. I am starting to get a bad feeling about this mob. I had a direct phone number for Liz Krstevski which I was going to pass on to you but just now I dialled the number only to be to told it was not connected. With jobkeeper ending at the end of the month you have to wonder if this travel agent is going to survive. Has anybody had any emails from them lately? I don’t think I have but I’m not 100% sure. Good luck and be very proactive, don’t sit around waiting for replies, I think it is the only hope you have.

4 hours ago, cruisingaussies said:

Why not name and shame this mob, so others dont go near them.  I fear for your funds.

• Thanks 1

Some travel businesses are making staff redundant, hardly any work coming in.. That redundancy money has to come from somewhere,  I hate to think it is coming from cruise refunds.

Remember, Directors of a company are personally liable for debt.

The creator of this thread also gave the agent’s name, see Post No 1.  Seems like you have found it?

As I said before, I can’t be the only one in this situation with this agent but I can only find a couple of other complaints referring to them.