Teens on HAL during winter vacation weeks?

lupaglupa

We have sailed on HAL multiple times but never during a school break. Our teenager has pulled us to try the big "fun" type ships and has loved having lots of other teens on board. We, however, hated the large ships and long to return to HAL. What we are hoping is that a cruise leaving Ft. Lauderdale during the usual February break will work for all of us. Can anybody comment on the number of families with teens on those cruises. Obviously with COVID etc. etc. we can't predict the future but just knowing what past cruises have been like would be helpful.

If I were taking my nieces and nephews I would go big ship. The really liked Carnival, not so much Princess.  I have sailed with them before and it is always big ship.  They just have more fun plus the food and dining is less fussy appealing to teens.

Edited by Mary229

35 minutes ago, lupaglupa said:

My kid prefers not to have lots of scheduled activities - he mostly wants other teens to hang out with. Pretty girls a plus. And, of course, unlimited WiFi. 

Carnival would be great for him. 

How old is the teenager? If vaccination proof is required, which I hope it is, for cruising he may not be able to go anyway unless he is over 16. No vaccinations yet for ages 16 and under, although the scientists are "working on it" whatever that may mean.

We tried Carnival once and everyone, including our then 14-year-old, hated it. His father and I have liked HAL best, Cunard second. Our cruises on Norwegian have been 50/50. We didn't like Royal Caribbean - too big, too noisy. Our son pretty much has the opposite list! He loved RC and Norwegian, and thought the Queen Mary was "okay." He will be 16 at the time of the cruise and we hope we will all be vaccinated well before next February. Fingers crossed! 

20 minutes ago, lupaglupa said:

We tried Carnival once and everyone, including our then 14-year-old, hated it. His father and I have liked HAL best, Cunard second. Our cruises on Norwegian have been 50/50. We didn't like Royal Caribbean - too big, too noisy. Our son pretty much has the opposite list! He loved RC and Norwegian, and thought the Queen Mary was "okay." He will be 16 at the time of the cruise and we hope we will all be vaccinated well before next February. Fingers crossed! 

RC is another good choice for a younger crowd.  RC seems to have done a very good job cutting across age barriers.  You do have to like big ships, though.  Someone on this board told me yesterday RC is planning cruises round trip from Barbados

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1