Despite What Cruise Lines Say, You Won’t Be Setting Sail in May

clo

A very misleading post.

There are already quite a few cruise lines sailing right now - in several areas of planet earth.

However, if you are American, and want to sail on a mass market ship from an American port, the article and post may be somewhat correct.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Donald said:

A very misleading post.

There are already quite a few cruise lines sailing right now - in several areas of planet earth.

However, if you are American, and want to sail on a mass market ship from an American port, the article and post may be somewhat correct.

I would say "quite a few" is overstating it.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/when-cruise-ships-lines-resume/

2 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Instead of “won’t be” it should have said “may not be”. The article even states that the CDC “recommends travelers not cruise at the present time”. 

May is only three months away. Can you really imagining anything happening that soon.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Donald said:

A very misleading post.

It's rather obvious that the article is talking about US-based cruises given all the references (eight in total if I counted correctly) to the CDC, so no, the post isn't misleading.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, clo said:

May is only three months away. Can you really imagining anything happening that soon.

Next to impossible for US-based cruises given that the CDC still hasn't released the technical guidance the cruise lines need to conduct even their test cruises, much less revenue cruises. 

Just now, njhorseman said:

Next to impossible for US-based cruises given that the CDC still hasn't released the technical guidance the cruise lines need to conduct even their test cruises, much less revenue cruises. 

Having worked in the corporate/government world a lot I shudder to think what it's going to take to coordinate all these countries and their CDC-equivalents. I deliberately booked our next cruise for 9/22 and I'm not 100% sure it will be a go. Or that the cruise line will still be in business.

2 hours ago, Donald said:

A very misleading post.

Please identify a few of these "... QUITE A FEW..."  -- I think you are smoking some interesting weed.

Yes, there is one Costa ship sailing out of Singapore and one other in the Med. But, “quite a few”....?

It is not just American ports that are facing the ugly reality.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Thanks 1

And it looks like no cruises from/to/transiting Canadian ports until a year from now according to this thread on the Princess board: 

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/02/government-of-canada-announces-one-year-ban-for-pleasure-craft-and-cruise-vessels.html

Edited by capriccio

With COVID-19 cases still rising, the CDC has recommended travelers worldwide do not cruise for the time being—including river cruises

Well there are some cruises happening outside the US... 

As far as cruises going to different countries.......not soon ( 1-2 years )

particularly for people where Convid-19 is not under control

Local single country cruise may be first have some chance late in year ( very iffy )

Then could be Europe round the Med...

But again nobody really knows...... 

Maybe ask the question once thing are under control.... until then we are guessing

it is like dangling a carrot...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

And it looks like no cruises from/to/transiting Canadian ports until a year from now according to this thread on the Princess board: 

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/02/government-of-canada-announces-one-year-ban-for-pleasure-craft-and-cruise-vessels.html

I'm Canadian and can verify this info. No ships in our ports until Feb 28,2022. That means all Alaska and New England itineraries cancelled for this year.

I am sailing on Explorer Dream out of Keelung on 01 April, 2021 for 8 days.

Then I sail Asuka II (ex Crystal Harmony) from Yokohama on 29 April, 2021.

They have great deals for suites on both vessels.

I will send you a few post cards.

5 hours ago, Donald said:

April is hardly “right now”.  

And, what is scheduled for April may not turn out to be carved in stone.

Plenty of half empty glasses here.

Asuka II and Explorer Dream are sailing right now.

But my vacation doesn’t start until April.

Nothing is carved in stone. I may not be alive by then.

But I am gambling that at least one of the 4 Japanese Cruise ships currently sailing will be still be sailing in April, and that one of the 4 Dream Cruises ships currently sailing will still be sailing as well.

If that doesn’t work out, then I will be forced to choose another of the cruise lines currently sailing out of Singapore, Hong Kong, or China.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Donald said:

Plenty of half empty glasses here.

Asuka II and Explorer Dream are sailing right now.

But my vacation doesn’t start until April.

Nothing is carved in stone. I may not be alive by then.

But I am gambling that at least one of the 4 Japanese Cruise ships currently sailing will be still be sailing in April, and that one of the 4 Dream Cruises ships currently sailing will still be sailing as well.

If that doesn’t work out, then I will be forced to choose another of the cruise lines currently sailing out of Singapore, Hong Kong, or China.  

Great attitude!! 😊

3 hours ago, Donald said:

So you live in that area?

I live half the year in Europe, and half in Asia.

Watching those MSC ships (with passengers) sail past my office window every week makes me all the more anxious to take a cruise.

59 minutes ago, Donald said:

I live half the year in Europe, and half in Asia.

Watching those MSC ships (with passengers) sail past my office window every week makes me all the more anxious to take a cruise.

How about a land trip?

On 2/5/2021 at 3:06 AM, Donald said:

Hi Donald - enjoy your cruises.  I would really appreciate it if you take some pictures and post a review of your trip!  I'm sure you'd get lots of followers!

• 4 weeks later...

When I spoke to my TA last week, we inquired about the CDC guidelines and when cruising might resume.  The TA mentioned that they're just awaiting for the CDC to publish guidelines on how to safely resume cruising, and that they expect to hear from them by June.