Dear Princess, just take us to Mexico...

Castaway Cowgirl

Just in 2018 & 2019 Princess was offering 12 day rt to Alaska  from Los Angeles that stopped in Victoria BC., and in 2020 they had scheduled in September 2020 14 day rt cruises from LA that of course were canceled.. But I did one of the 12 days in 2018, and with a 14 day itinerary could have easily gone on and stopped in Ensenada Mexico which is less than 200 miles from LA to comply with the PSA instead of Victoria BC

Just some food for thought

Edited by srpilo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Castaway Cowgirl said:

I put a laughing emoji but I am serious!  Is it a possibility?  I noticed that they haven’t sent out cancel notifications yet...

I would suspect they or Carnival Corporate are trying to come up with their best estimate as to how long the Canadian order will stand as vaccines are delivered and their effect starts to show in the case numbers. Probably lots of communication with the Canadian Ministry of Transportation to try and understand what would have to happen to lift the order and then what the likelihood of those things actually happening in time to have any kind of season involving Canada. They'll come up with a plan pretty soon. Probably (IMHO) will cancel the early season pretty soon and see if anything later can be saved.

California is the next hurdle! Mexican Riviera cruises would need to be from Los Angeles because no 10 day cruises right now, but getting permission to start cruising would be the difficult part. 😓

I suspect Mexico will allow cruise ships to dock.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mud_Shark said:

If it was Seattle to Cabo at least rather than Ensenada, then sign us up as well.  Need a destination where its has that warm beach getaway atmosphere.

Don

I used to feel the same way about Ensenada until we did a food tour and now I love the Ensenada stop!! They have amazing food there!! You can walk to some as well. So, I hope they don’t get rid of that Ensenada stop 

Mercado Negro for fresh seafood, Tacos Fenix for delicious breaded and grilled ship tacos with amazing salsa, Aguamala microbrewery that serves food and beer, in reimagined shipping containers.

Edited by jennybenny
Added places in Ensenada

Perhaps the decision to implement the ban will draw sufficient heat as to enable reconsideration. 

https://thepointsguy.com/news/alaska-cruise-ban-impact/

Royal Caribbean and other big-ship lines that operate foreign-flagged vessels can’t offer cruises to Alaska without a stop in Canada due to a 135-year-old U.S. law called the Passenger Vessel Service Act.

Unless the law is changed in the next few months, none of the lines would be able to offer Alaska cruises until the spring of 2022.

On Friday, Alaska’s two U.S. Senators — Lisa Murkowski and Dan Sullivan — and the state’s one U.S. Congressman, Don Young, issued a joint statement suggesting they might try to have the law overturned.

“We are exploring all potential avenues, including changing existing laws, to ensure the cruise industry in Alaska resumes operations as soon as it is safe,” the statement said.

Edited by Bgwest
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bgwest said:

“We are exploring all potential avenues, including changing existing laws, to ensure the cruise industry in Alaska resumes operations as soon as it is safe,” the statement said.

Which is stupid. Because "as soon as it is safe" to resume cruising would mean that the PVSA no longer needs to be suspended, repealed, waived, or altered. Unless, of course, one operates under the assumption that the Canadian government are a bunch of morons who don't know what they're doing and shouldn't be deciding what 'murcia does.

If it's not safe to bring a ship to Victoria, then it's not safe to bring a ship to Juneau. Period. COVID doesn't care about borders and COVID doesn't care about political views.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Perhaps the decision to implement the ban will draw sufficient heat as to enable reconsideration. 

Royal Caribbean and other big-ship lines that operate foreign-flagged vessels can’t offer cruises to Alaska without a stop in Canada due to a 135-year-old U.S. law called the Passenger Vessel Service Act.

Unless the law is changed in the next few months, none of the lines would be able to offer Alaska cruises until the spring of 2022.

On Friday, Alaska’s two U.S. Senators — Lisa Murkowski and Dan Sullivan — and the state’s one U.S. Congressman, Don Young, issued a joint statement suggesting they might try to have the law overturned.

I think getting the Passenger Vessel Service Act suspended at least until Canada is open again is vital and maybe repealing it altogether. I am not sure it still serves its original purpose.

Contact your Congressperson and Senators to ask for this to be done.

2 hours ago, Outerdog said:

If it's not safe to bring a ship to Victoria, then it's not safe to bring a ship to Juneau. Period. COVID doesn't care about borders and COVID doesn't care about political views.

That is a logical fallacy. Just because Canada doesn't want to allow cruises in Canada until 2022 does NOT mean it would be unsafe (or safe for that matter) for ships to stop or originate in Canada. The date is completely arbitrary.

2 hours ago, srpilo said:

Just for the sake of accuracy she was a VICE presidential candidate 😁

And she never said it, or anything like that, but that is really besides the point for some people.

Edited by scottca075
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

And she never said it, or anything like that, but that is really besides the point for some people.

Thank you! Correct... That quote was actually from Saturday Night Live.

• Like 1

Per the CDC:

Travelers should avoid all travel to Mexico.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-mexico

Mexico reached 155,145 confirmed deaths from COVID-19 Thursday, which would make it the country with the world’s third-highest total, passing India’s death toll of 153,847.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4114784

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Per the CDC:

Travelers should avoid all travel to Mexico.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-mexico

Mexico reached 155,145 confirmed deaths from COVID-19 Thursday, which would make it the country with the world’s third-highest total, passing India’s death toll of 153,847.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4114784

I’ve already had Covid along with the majority of people I know.  Not worried about traveling to Mexico.  I’ve been traveling all over the US (South) since this started.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Why overturn? Since the PVSA covers all types of vessels, just exempt Cruise Ships.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Castaway Cowgirl said:

I’ve already had Covid along with the majority of people I know.  Not worried about traveling to Mexico.  I’ve been traveling all over the US (South) since this started.  

You must be kidding!  A traveling serial spreader!  CDC has informed that having COVID-19 once doesn't spare you from getting it again and will not stop the new variants.  Only the vaccination will stop the spread and help to keep you safe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/5/2021 at 9:03 AM, Castaway Cowgirl said:

We have an Alaskan cruise scheduled out of Seattle in August.  Can princess just reroute it to Mexico?  

Not sure that Seattle to Mexico and back could be done in a week. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

You must be kidding!  A traveling serial spreader!  CDC has informed that having COVID-19 once doesn't spare you from getting it again and will not stop the new variants.  Only the vaccination will stop the spread and help to keep you safe.

Not quite true....vaccine stops serious illness,  not the spread.  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Sorry, I just don’t have the fear that you do.  I don’t mean that in a defiant or condescending way.  I understand your perspective.  I got covid early on (almost a year ago- hard to believe) and wanted to know as much about it as possible.  I was scared too.  So I’ve done a lot of my own reading on the topic.  I’ve look at the raw data and how it is collected, both of which are not always easy to find.  I recommend that to you.  If you take the media and cdc at face value, you will become paralyzed over a virus with a very low death rate, comparable to a bad flu.  That’s from the cdc’s own numbers.  And the cdc has admitted  that there is inflation in their numbers.  If you are looking for a place to start, I recommend the academics at Stanford’s Hoover institution.  I wish you the best.  

• Like 9

18 hours ago, Castaway Cowgirl said:

If you take the media and cdc at face value, you will become paralyzed over a virus with a very low death rate, comparable to a bad flu. 

The CDC estimates that around 22,000 Americans die of the flu in one flu season.

The 463,000 deaths in less than a year that have Covid-19 as a contributing case is 21 times the number of flu deaths.

The 463,000 Americans that have died from having had Covid-19 is close to having everyone in a city the size of Atlanta, GA die in one year.

And the survivors of Covid-19 often have many months needed for full recovery after the disease has left their bodies.

No need to be paralyzed with fear; but there is a need to continue to take all precautions possible to avoid being infected or, if unlucky enough to be infected, to avoid infecting others.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2