Newbie Questions

ernieb

Good day all, we are taking our first Seaborne cruise in August and very excited.   My question is about the nightly entertainment.   We will be on the Ovation (Greek Islands).   Do they normally do two shows a night and about what time are the shows.   I understand it likely will vary by cruise and maybe daily depending on when the ship leaves port but are they normally say around 6 and 8 p.m. or more like 8 and 10 p.m.

Thank you for your help and information.

Jill

12 hours ago, jill1349 said:

Good day all, we are taking our first Seaborne cruise in August and very excited.   My question is about the nightly entertainment.   We will be on the Ovation (Greek Islands).   Do they normally do two shows a night and about what time are the shows.   I understand it likely will vary by cruise and maybe daily depending on when the ship leaves port but are they normally say around 6 and 8 p.m. or more like 8 and 10 p.m.

On Ovation and Encore, usually yes.  Depending on the port schedule, I recall that sometimes it was early like 6:30 or 7 (so you could catch dinner after) and then the normal time for the smaller ships which is like 9:30/9:45-ish.  But it varies... sometimes there is entertainment that is just pre-dinner (like the Captains welcome or an opera sail away) and sometimes it is only post-dinner. 

In this regard, the Seabourn ships are different than what you'd see with entertainment on a larger cruise line.  Its not often that you'll have to make "either/or" choices like you would there (e.g., "either I see this particular show or I enjoy a certain dining venue" or "either I watch the one-night only show for the comedian or I get to see this musical revue") because the relative size of the Seabourn ships means there are not typically competing major programming options.  The only time we ever have to think about timing is when we are pre-booking our Thomas Keller Grill reservations or if we are thinking about a spa treatment that might bump into trivia or a pre-dinner event.

Jenidallas, thank you for the information.   Personally I like early or pre-dinner shows so the timing sounds good.   I was not sure when to make our TK reservation so decided to do it the first night at sail-away time.   

Thanks again.

Jill

23 hours ago, jill1349 said:

Jenidallas, thank you for the information.   Personally I like early or pre-dinner shows so the timing sounds good.   I was not sure when to make our TK reservation so decided to do it the first night at sail-away time.   

We try to do our first TK night on sail away nights too.  The main dining room seems to always run a bit slower the first night while they get to know new passengers, sort out preferences, and for the crew to fine tune their interaction with any changeovers that occurred that day. 

On Seabourns bigger ships the main entertainment show was presented twice while on the on the smaller ships just once.  Sorry I cant remember the exact timing but we preferred an early dinner and show but the later show on the nights we  hit the TK grill for dinner.  The TK grill and bar on the Encore and Ovation is much bigger than on the Quest size ships

22 hours ago, klkaylor78 said:

On Seabourns bigger ships the main entertainment show was presented twice while on the on the smaller ships just once.  Sorry I cant remember the exact timing but we preferred an early dinner and show but the later show on the nights we  hit the TK grill for dinner.  The TK grill and bar on the Encore and Ovation is much bigger than on the Quest size ships

Are you sure of this.... I have been on both size ships and there has only been a single show, followed up by music in the club. 

• Like 1

Yes, I've been surprised by the answers.   I only remember one show per night.   There aren't that many passengers and with open seating, I can't picture them having 2 shows per night...

• Like 1

it was on the on the Ovation Athens - Dubai 2018 - have not been on the Encore or Ovation since so may be outdated data.  The Seabourn bigger ships were new so they may have been trying some new ideas.  We were friends with the entertainers from a previous Quest trip so kinda had inside information.  My understanding is that the theater is. not any bigger on the Encore and Ovation but more guest so .. more options - less crowds ???

We have sailed on both the Encore and on Ovation---in each case there were two shows per night.  I don't remember the exact times.  The first one was for those who had dinner early (and I don't remember that time either) and the second one was at 10pm. This was virtually every night.  On SOME nights the schedule would be different and the daily schedule would reflect that.  

My apologies as I only remember the one that we seemed to arrive nearly late after enjoying a long dinner.  With the daily document with activities that comes to your suite each day I just don't remember seeing two different times for the show.   I checked with my DW and she only remembers one also.  Possibly it varies??  Will report back in a couple of months.

15 minutes ago, Neverlookback said:

My apologies as I only remember the one that we seemed to arrive nearly late after enjoying a long dinner.  With the daily document with activities that comes to your suite each day I just don't remember seeing two different times for the show.   I checked with my DW and she only remembers one also.  Possibly it varies??  Will report back in a couple of months.

Our Ovation /Encore sailings were three and four years ago. There were definitely two performances on those sailings.   Two years ago on the Sojourn, there was just one performance per evening.  We have not sailed since then---due to the pandemic.  

Interesting to read all of the responses about entertainment times - bottom line is that I will just wait and see what happens.   If the times fit our dinner schedule - great.   If not will just go to bed a little earlier.   Thanks all for the responses.

Jill

All the past information about show frequency and timing may change with the resumption of cruising. If they aim to reduce the passenger occupancy in the theater, they may switch to two shows instead of one. Or perhaps with 100% vaccinated people onboard, distancing/capacity won't be a concern. I think we'll just have to wait and see how things are run once cruises resume.

We will be on the Odyssey next April for the 21 day Panama Canal cruise. I have just made 3 reservations for the TK Grill, (2) at 7:45 and 1 at 8:00. Any one have any idea how that might work out with the show times?

22 hours ago, ernieb said:

We will be on the Odyssey next April for the 21 day Panama Canal cruise. I have just made 3 reservations for the TK Grill, (2) at 7:45 and 1 at 8:00. Any one have any idea how that might work out with the show times?

Shows are usually at 10 pm (or 9:45 or 10:15). Occasional early shows are around 6:30.  On a three week cruise, the same performers will give a similar show on other days.  This is particularly true of solo acts.  You will not miss anything.

• 1 month later...

I am somewhat surprised by the lack of activity in the roll calls for our Odyssey cruise. I started a roll call for our 4/28/22 cruise over a month ago and have had no replies. Numerous other pending sailings have also  been stated with very few or no replies. Is this normal?

8 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I am somewhat surprised by the lack of activity in the roll calls for our Odyssey cruise. I started a roll call for our 4/28/22 cruise over a month ago and have had no replies. Numerous other pending sailings have also  been stated with very few or no replies. Is this normal?

I have found that the SB roll calls are  not

very active--and I am not surprised that it is not active for a 2022 cruise.  Once the time grows closer, you may have more people interested in a roll call.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

Yes, fairly normal for Seabourn roll calls although on occasion there might be one with a bit more activity ... usually the Antarctica cruises have more activity, from what I've experienced and even those aren't what you find on the more mainstream cruise line roll calls.

• Like 1

ernieb,

What lines are you more familiar with that have more/very active roll calls? 
What’s “normal” anyway?

Maybe Seabourn passengers take a “wait and see” attitude on meeting people.

Happy and healthy sailing!

3 hours ago, ernieb said:

It may simply be a numbers thing!
Odyssey holds only 458 guests.

Lots of SB cruisers have never heard of Cruise Critic. (I try to spread the word when I'm on board.)

Regular posters on this board sometimes don't join the RC. I occasionally don't.
So it's not unusual for the roll call thread to be quiet so far in advance.

In my  experience it's unlikely that no other posters will join it, but it's certainly possible. 

• Like 2