The Daily for Sunday Feb 7, 2021

richwmn

7 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Denise !! Love you sister! Both posting the same day in a long time!

Such a beautiful painting. I'm very proud of you for volunteering for shots.

Love to David and "the kids". 

🌺Dear Joy right back at you!! Almost 9!am here! A day of rest! Shawn is doing good and little Paisley! David is kept busy which is good!

just reminiscing. We go way back Joy! Remember your photo in Maui at the bar? Hula Bar and Grill? I said hey come to our place down the path towards Black Rock!! Enjoyed our last time talking on New Years Eve too!

Happy times ahead for all of us with my sisters and all on CC!

Denise🙂

• Like 8

1 hour ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

🥶🥶🥶 For us today is not Super Bowl day, but "Super Cold" day.

307316024_Feb07_2021.thumb.jpg.f153de84b28e97ceca99ca160f1ff83f.jpg

Record cold snap and it was not only cold outside, but also inside - as our power went out at 3:00am and didn't come back on till 7:30am!!!!

That is amazingly cold!  Reminds me of some of the record cold weather that I have read about that happens in Siberia.  I guess Global Warming isn't happening in Alberta.

I plan to watch the Super Bowl, but our local CBS station that will have it has been off the air awhile due to some differences with our TV provider, Direct TV.  I hooked up an antenna to my large LG TV and was able to get quite a few channels, including CBS.  I noticed there were many more channels available due to a built-in app on the TV called XUMO.  Spent a few hours writing 4 pages of notes what was on each channel.  Then looked up XUMO on Google and found I could just print out two pages listing all 150+ channels.  Should have thought of that first.

Love the quote, but I suspect that some actions are caused by both malice and stupidity.

Ray

• Like 13

I am another one who always watched the Super Bowl to see the commercials. My two favorite's #1 Budweiser Clydsdale Horses and #2 Coca Cola Polar Bowls have opted to donate the cost of the commercials ro Covid relief this year which I heartily salute. But now I guess instead of watching the Super Bowl I will begin getting my tax documents togather.

Deeni Encinitas you are certainly a gifted painter.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Another bright, sunny and warmish day here. Our weather next week is still uncertain - actually it is always uncertain until it happens. Not much new there.

The dogs and I will be having a quiet day. I need to gather the condo association financials together and get out the annual report..... a dull but necessary job. And I need to finish loading up some stuff to take out to the Humane Society Thrift store. I finally got one of my closets sorted out.

Hope everyone has a relaxing day. Got to say that I prefer cold weather to hot - but some of you are overdoing it.

Susan

• Like 12

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. And @rafinmd thank you for your lists and praying for your brother’s healing. 

So wonderful to see @Seasick Sailor and @DeeniEncinitas post today. Joy, your backyard project sounds great. Denise, thank you for volunteering and you truly are a gifted artist. 

The weather for most sounds horribly cold 🥶. I spoke with my brother last night and he told me how cold it was where he lives in Eastern Colorado which is near where I lived until I was 16.  I’m so glad my mother decided to move to Tucson and we don’t have to deal with that cold, blustery, snowy weather anymore.  

I pulled out a container of chili from the freezer for dinner tonight. I think I might turn it into chili cheese fries. It seems like an appropriate meal for Super Bowl Sunday.  DH seemed excited when I mentioned it. 

Roses always make me think of my stepfather. He was from Texas and loved yellow roses. He planted many rose bushes but the most spectacular was the huge Tombstone Rose bush he planted outside the kitchen window. I wish I had a picture. But this is similar:

• Rosa banksiae 'Lutea' climbing on a wall - Stock Image

The largest one is:

https://tombstonerosetree.com/ in Tombstone but I’m not sure if it’s still open.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 17

Still morning here, so Good Morning to all my fellow Dailyites and thanks to Rich, Roy, and the drinks and food ladies for keeping us entertained.  Love the sound of that wine - we make a nice sauvignon blanc, too.

The SWFL eaglets are being fed and sheltered by their parents - I was a bit worried at first, as the parents did not seem to be shading the babes, although they did bring them food.  Now all is well!  After 6 (was it it 6 or more?) days away, I was afraid they would not be accepted back.  A couple of years ago there was an eagle nest here where a parent brought in a live hawk baby to feed her babies with, but the hawk started to beg and the eagle started feeding it, and both parents eventually accepted it as one of their own. The hawk fledged with the eaglets and the scientist wondered if the hawk would have a taste for carrion;  hawks usually only eat their own kills, but eagles will take roadkill, and other dead animals.  Although sometimes I wonder about that, we often see hawks sitting on the lamp posts along the highway, they must be waiting for the cars to provide them with some lunch.  Maybe they were all brought up by eagles...

• Like 16

Good morning all!

@summer slopegood to hear you're having no ill effects from your second jab.

It seems to get harder all the time to find "that perfect card", I don't know if I'm getting more particular or what, but I always search.   I wish I was creative enough to make my own, but alas I'm not!

Love roses, and can't wait until it's warm weather and mine are blooming again.  Yesterday I was surprised to see that one of my daffodils is almost ready to bloom -- in February -- unheard of.  Poor thing will be blooming all alone!

Not a fan of football but DH is, so I'm sure we'll have the game on sometime today.  @bdrcole the joke applies to me, LOL!!  It's a rare sunny day so I think I'll be out walking the garden and dreaming of roses.  😄

• Like 13

Good morning, all! My favourite part of the Super Bowl is the commercials. I will celebrate roses by wrapping the base of one rose that has somehow shed its protection one is placed where it will get the brunt of the arctic wind that will sweep in starting tonight. Chicken cordon bleu sounds good, but tonight we are treating ourselves with take out from the a new Indian restaurant. We’ve heard good things about it, and I’m excited to be able to enjoy dinner without cooking! Our forecast snow came in the condensed liquid form, of course. The Arctic inflow is dry, so no snow is coming with that. The worst we’re going to see in the next few days is -14. To @ger_77that is nothing, but it’s colder than we are used to here, and the gardens will suffer. @rafinmdI hope your brothers back is just giving him a brief scare to make him see reason, and no lasting effects.

To all, Happy Sunday, and may we see these mats again!

13AC7A3A-675C-4C9C-96C5-65E731EAE9F9.thumb.jpeg.8e72dfa36b1652f048afacd616cadf86.jpeg

And also, a shot of the Southern Cross. One of the greatest things I miss is going out on deck with a pre-dawn coffee, bidding the Southern Cross good morning, and watching it fade into a glorious sunrise.

F1BFF981-8F5C-48F2-B19B-79D0A64463EA.thumb.jpeg.d2731799e8ecd686c0060a6ad5d2c51d.jpeg 

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 18

Good Morning.

It is a beautiful sunny but crisp morning here.  Frost on the roofs and on the cars.  Weather for the week is looking like a mix of sun, rain and snow.  So I am thinking today may be a good day to head out and pick up a groceries.  If the prices of roses have not jumped for Valentine's Day I may buy myself some.  I also need to post some cards to friends and family.

The roses are from are backyard.  Safe and sound from any deer who may discover our neighbourhood.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

Val

• Like 18

@GeorgeCharlieglad your power came back on - but with temps like that, the house can cool off pretty quickly!  Bless the workers who have to go out in weather like that to fix what's broken.   Hopefully the daytime sunlight will help with the cold, but even here we're expecting overnight windchill values to get to -56C.  We're staying indoors, staying warm, and that's all.

@DeeniEncinitas you have an amazing talent; I admire anyone who can draw and paint.

@Marmot@SeaI love that the photo of the rose that came from one of your mom's cuttings has a chubby bee in it!

Stay warm everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

I love that the photo of the rose that came from one of your mom's cuttings has a chubby bee in it!

Stay warm everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Thank you.  I enjoy photographing flowers and bees.  A bit of patience pays off.

Val

• Like 6

Dropped cable in January as we plan to 'restart' travel in 2021.  🤫  Hope that the Super Bowl is easily found on the radio!  Planning some time in the garden & homemade soup for supper. It's a bright, sunny day today.  Thanks to all for the posts and pictures.

• Like 11

Good morning and thanks all!  brrr from Alberta!  

But what warms my heart, since this year I’m not in the pool listening to opposing fans cheering from their condos is the story of Montrealer  Lucent Duvernay-Tardif who was on the winning super bowl team last year but has his MD training so this year is working in a care home!  Kudos to this man!  
https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/montreals-duvernay-tardif-opts-out-of-2020-nfl-season

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 13

19 minutes ago, bennybear said:

But what warms my heart, since this year I’m not in the pool listening to opposing fans cheering from their condos is the story of Montrealer  Lucent Duvernay-Tardif who was on the winning super bowl team last year but has his MD training so this year is working in a care home!  Kudos to this man!  
https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/montreals-duvernay-tardif-opts-out-of-2020-nfl-season

He is one the NFL should have put in the heroes section of the stands.  I hope if KC wins he can somehow get an honorary Super Bowl ring.

Roy

• Like 12

@DeeniEncinitas  I love your talent, what a nice gesture to paint her picture.  35 plus years ago a patient who I cared for drew caricature drawings of her "favorite" nurses, she drew one of me and I still have it.  It was back when patients often had extended hospitalizations (now they are sent to rehab. type of facilities to finish their recovery).  My patient was an artist who enjoyed drawing and sharing with others, wish she knew how much the picture meant to me even after all these years!  You made me smile at the memory today!

CrabbyPatti

aka

Denise

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

February 7, 2019 was pretty much Prinsendam's return  crossing of the Drake Passage.  It was about as close as you can get to the Drake Lake.  We were JUST north of 60 South when I got up and got in a full morning walk.  We did see a few huge tabular icebergs:

yetanother.jpg

While there were a couple of lectures my most interesting activity was the biosecurity check for South Georgia Island.  These were done in the passageway between the 2 doors at the bow.  Our visit to South Georgia would be Saturday and I was scheduled for a check Friday but I lived near the site and was able to pop down quickly and found there was no line so I did it a day early.  There was a sign at the entrance describing what was needed:

yetanother.jpg

The expedition staff inspected our gear but it was the crew that did the actual cleaning at stations along the walls:

biocheck.jpg

While we had great weather for our passage, Captain Jeroen indicated in his noon update that a storm was following us.  It was good because my passage 3 years earlier was a definite Drake Shake and I never ventured outside at all that day.

Roy

• Like 17

13 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

February 7, 2019 was pretty much Prinsendam's return  crossing of the Drake Passage.  It was about as close as you can get to the Drake Lake.  We were JUST north of 60 South when I got up and got in a full morning walk.  We did see a few huge tabular icebergs:

yetanother.jpg

While there were a couple of lectures my most interesting activity was the biosecurity check for South Georgia Island.  These were done in the passageway between the 2 doors at the bow.  Our visit to South Georgia would be Saturday and I was scheduled for a check Friday but I lived near the site and was able to pop down quickly and found there was no line so I did it a day early.  There was a sign at the entrance describing what was needed:

yetanother.jpg

The expedition staff inspected our gear but it was the crew that did the actual cleaning at stations along the walls:

biocheck.jpg

While we had great weather for our passage, Captain Jeroen indicated in his noon update that a storm was following us.  It was good because my passage 3 years earlier was a definite Drake Shake and I never ventured outside at all that day.

Roy

If only one could guarantee the lake!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

I posted this on the roll call for Rotterdam premier, but I had just happened to notice that today is @Vict0riann cruise critic anniversary.

🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾

Thanks for being such a positive poster all these years.

Thanks for the reminder 🙂  Ann & Pat are a lovely couple and I hope they have wonderful anniversary, covid or not.

@Vict0riann Happy Anniversary!!!!  I think these are roses so it seemed appropriate for Rose day 😉 

DF837EEF-248C-4A33-97A4-D079ED480CB7.gif.d1225a3a69238489dea51593445fe22c.gif

• Like 11

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

He is one the NFL should have put in the heroes section of the stands.  I hope if KC wins he can somehow get an honorary Super Bowl ring.

Roy

What a lovely idea.  It would be so nice if that happened.  He was on the news today encouraging everyone to follow the covid protocols and telling how hard the medical teams were working (his football jersey / a pic of it was framed and in the background as he spoke).  Marvellous Canadian doing the right thing and putting others before himself ❤️ 

• Like 12

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

They did do  a story on him last night during the NFL honors program.  Well deserved Kudos for this man who put his football career on hold to serve as a doctor to help others during this pandemic.  I agree with Roy, if KC wins, he should get an honorary Super Bowl Ring.

• Like 9

Quick update:  The CBS channel was put back on our local Direct TV.  Guess the pressure of so many paying customers missing the super bowl was too much for them.  Another super bowl factoid:  Our Seahawks didn't make it this year, but they were the only NFL team to not have a single COVID case this year.  Guess they did some things right.

Ray

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Denise, thank you for volunteering and you truly are a gifted artist. 

image.jpeg.ca81e13809ab5dc65b54490c312638e9.jpeg

4 hours ago, ger_77 said:

you have an amazing talent; I admire anyone who can draw and paint.

2 hours ago, CrabbyPatti said:

You made me smile at the memory today!

🌺WOW such nice compliments. 
First I want all to know that my colleague who is a wonderful dentist who I sold my practice too called me to ask if I would give vaccine shots and to help!! It is a wonderful experience to see tears of joy and happiness with all. It is so rewarding!! Second thank you for the kind words with my art!! I am blessed for it plus I am in my own world !

I am truly sorry for being away so long!

I do miss all of you! When I finally today got on CC and read when my sister Ann

aka Cat said she misses her sisters 🥲

I felt bad. You all have been there through 

my friends passing, our home in Maui,

in Mammoth! This is family! Thank you all!

🌺 Here is a wonderful picture of my friend who is a NP who also is volunteering all her time and is with me !

GODBLESS YOU ALL!

Happy SuperBowl

Denise🙂

image.thumb.jpeg.02272ad26a9e18bb9f8da9c83c95f011.jpeg

• Like 12