Cruising 11 day on Sep 11, 2022

JTBCruiser

I'm a newbie to Alaska and have read many reviews on what month to cruise.  I found what looks to be a pretty decent deal with Celebrity R/T Vancouver.  I know it will probably be colder but are excursion opportunities still available or will they be starting to shut down?  Our cruise for June 2021 will likely be cancelled so looking for an alternative if cruising opens up in 2022.  Hopeful to see some wildlife but focusing more on budget.  Thx in advance for your advice  

We have gone twice in mid- September. We had great weather lots

of the time. It was 78 degrees one time in Ketchikan and when leaving,

everyone was out on deck enjoying the pools and sun!.

Also, you will find many things on sale for close outs for souvenirs.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, nini said:

We have gone twice in mid- September. We had great weather lots

of the time. It was 78 degrees one time in Ketchikan and when leaving,

everyone was out on deck enjoying the pools and sun!.

Also, you will find many things on sale for close outs for souvenirs.

Love those end of season sales !

I've done a couple of September cruises (like you say, a great value) and have lucked in to good to spectacular weather. As with any cruise in Alaska, prepare for constant rain (it IS mostly rainforest) and celebrate the good days. Yes, there are lots of good sales in the ports. Most of the excursions are still on, certainly all those run by year round residents who you should want to support. A vendor that depends on college student labor from the Lower 48 will probably be cutting back. As to the wildlife, the migratory species (whales, birds) may be leaving or gone but there will be a few stragglers. There are lots of year round residents still around (coastal bald eagles, orcas, otters, etc.). Bears and moose may be particularly active as they bulk up for winter. One big benefit no one mentioned: no mosquitos!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 12:41 PM, kennystwin said:

I've done a couple of September cruises (like you say, a great value) and have lucked in to good to spectacular weather. As with any cruise in Alaska, prepare for constant rain (it IS mostly rainforest) and celebrate the good days. Yes, there are lots of good sales in the ports. Most of the excursions are still on, certainly all those run by year round residents who you should want to support. A vendor that depends on college student labor from the Lower 48 will probably be cutting back. As to the wildlife, the migratory species (whales, birds) may be leaving or gone but there will be a few stragglers. There are lots of year round residents still around (coastal bald eagles, orcas, otters, etc.). Bears and moose may be particularly active as they bulk up for winter. One big benefit no one mentioned: no mosquitos!

We have done two 14 day Alaska cruises. One The first week of September, the weather was cool and it rained at every port except for Sitka, sunny weather all day. The second was the first week of September and the weather was the opposite of the first. Sunny every port but Icy Strait, it was overcast and drizzling all day. Always be prepared for any type of weather. Alaska will be shutting down during your cruise but you will be able to find excursions. If your a shopper there will be plenty of bargains to be had. 

On 3/2/2021 at 2:01 PM, Partyofnine said:

JTBCruiser - Did you end up booking this cruise?  My husband and I were looking at it too for his 50th birthday celebration next year. 🙂

We didn't book this cruise we elected to move the date up to mid August on a 10 day with Norwegian Spirit.