Uniworld River Cruise Line Confirms May Restart – Or Not...

Host Jazzbeau

In light of how Uniworld's competitors are handling this , I don't understand why Uniworld continues to string everyone along. Prior to this , we thought they were top of the line and had recommended them to numerous friends. This has really changed our perspective. They cannot possibly believe that they can deliver a quality product anywhere in Europe until at least mid summer. 

20 hours ago, Brunobella said:

We are booked on the June 14 Prague to Budapest departure (rescheduled from last June due to Covid) UniWorld continues to string us along as to whether it’s a go. It’s still listed on their website which really means nothing. Even if Europe does open to travelers I can’t imagine that everything would be open & operational i.e. Restaurants, attractions, shopping etc. UniWorld may be required to modify the itinerary of this voyage which I can’t imagine won’t happen. Also all US residents  flying back to the US from Europe are required to have a negative covid test within three days of their flight. This is the policy of all US carriers. I’ve asked UniWorld how we would obtain the test. Would they offer it on board? They couldn’t answer. Too many uncertainties and unknowns have me concerned and quite frankly we no longer wish to take this voyage at least this year. The problem is at this point I believe if we cancel or reschedule for next year we lose 50% of the cruise fare. I truly hope UniWorld cancels this voyage. 

The situation you find yourselves in is exactly what we worried about when the 60 day mark before our May 17 cruise approached.  Obviously they eventually cancelled that cruise but we didn't want to take the chance.

Tom & Judy

37 minutes ago, CUTTERSAM said:

Just got word from TA. Uniworld suspended all Portugal sailings up to 5/23

All cruises in Portugal for May are canceled.  First Sailing is now June 6th.  According to their website.

On 5/7/2021 at 7:08 PM, gnome12 said:

Wow! And it is only May 7th. (Sarcastic)

I was on hold with UNIWORLD for 50 minutes and I said to the agent who finally got me "I am 20 days out and I don't have my docs"." Is this cruise still going?"  "yes, it is still scheduled" she said. I asked her twice.  It's still scheduled. I think they are waiting til 5/16. that is when Portugal decides to renew the restrictions on the US and maybe the UK (haven't been paying attn. to that one) or to let them expire and open up

On 5/7/2021 at 3:23 PM, CUTTERSAM said:

"yes, it is still scheduled" she said. I asked her twice.  

But, Uniworld deleted from their website all May river cruises for the month of May.  I’m confused.

Edited by GoesBoom

11 minutes ago, GoesBoom said:

But, Uniworld deleted from their website all May river cruises for the month of May.  I’m confused.

I think they are not giving a final decree until 5/16, the day Portugal decides on allowing tourists or renews the ban.  I know it doesn't show on the board and also I have no docs.. I bet we know by next Monday or Tuesday and they will flip a switch one way or another.  One possibility for the absence of them online, perhaps they sense a reduction of capacity will be required so they stop selling it??

18 hours ago, CUTTERSAM said:

I was on hold with UNIWORLD for 50 minutes and I said to the agent who finally got me "I am 20 days out and I don't have my docs"." Is this cruise still going?"  "yes, it is still scheduled" she said. I asked her twice.  It's still scheduled. I think they are waiting til 5/16. that is when Portugal decides to renew the restrictions on the US and maybe the UK (haven't been paying attn. to that one) or to let them expire and open up

As much as I can understand how Uniworld (or any other travel company) would like to cancel cruises in the smallest chunks possible, and waiting until the last day possible, I really think this is abusive.  I now have a Future Cruise Credit that I will have to be using on Uniworld, but this is leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth.  Just by way of contrast, on the ocean cruise side, Celebrity on April 8 cancelled all cruises (other than newly announced St Maarten and Athens cruises) through June 30.  And on the land tour side, Collette Travel commits on its website to notifying guests of cancelled tours 30-45 days in advance.  Uniworld could learn something from these other travel companies.

Tom & Judy

2 minutes ago, TFree said:

As much as I can understand how Uniworld (or any other travel company) would like to cancel cruises in the smallest chunks possible, and waiting until the last day possible, I really think this is abusive.  I now have a Future Cruise Credit that I will have to be using on Uniworld, but this is leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth.  Just by way of contrast, on the ocean cruise side, Celebrity on April 8 cancelled all cruises (other than newly announced St Maarten and Athens cruises) through June 30.  And on the land tour side, Collette Travel commits on its website to notifying guests of cancelled tours 30-45 days in advance.  Uniworld could learn something from these other travel companies.

Tom & Judy

Indeed. I am a bag of nerves, two businesses, an elderly father and a pet need to be addressed and the sooner the better. Not many can just walk out the door and go whenever they wish.  Abusive is a good word for it.

1 hour ago, CUTTERSAM said:Abusive is a good word for it.

Abusive is a very good word for it.  I sent a nice, but factual email, to Ellen, the Uniworld CEO.  I was wondering if she knew what her people were up to.  I did not receive a reply, nor a notice of my email being bounced back.  My cruise is in France.  I did learn that this Thursday there will be a meeting in Paris to determine when the French will permit cruising to start.  One participant will let me know the results.  In my opinion, Uniworld is acting like a company having financial difficulties.  Begging for bookings, no cash refunds only FCC, and trying to be the earliest boats back on the water.

This really is ridiculous. Even if Portugal gives the green light on May 15 , can they realistically think everything will be a go by May 30. I am not aware of any other upscale travel company treating their customers like this. While I enjoyed my prior trips, I don't know if I would ever go with them again. 

OK, so if your cruise does go and you need tested to renter the US, read this article …

https://www.afar.com/magazine/cdc-approves-at-home-covid-tests-for-international-travel

I have purchased the Abbot test and downloaded the App.  Works like a charm.  Buy the $24 test kit and take it with you.  Also works if you are transiting LHR.

• Like 1

There are reports on the Trip Advisor Portugal forum that Portugal will remain closed to non essential travel until May 30, 2021. It will be reassessed again prior to that date. If true, let's see how long it will take for Uniworld to cancel upcoming sailings. We are still being told that our June 6 sailing is on.

1 minute ago, Lance88 said:

There are reports on the Trip Advisor Portugal forum that Portugal will remain closed to non essential travel until May 30, 2021. It will be reassessed again prior to that date. If true, let's see how long it will take for Uniworld to cancel upcoming sailings. We are still being told that our June 6 sailing is on.

My cruise is May 30th I am really in limbo. I was told the other day by Uniworld that it is still scheduled.

To our great relief, we received notification from our travel agent yesterday that UniWorld has suspended our June 14 sailing Prague to Budapest. We were given three options:

1.       A full refund (I was stunned this option was even offered)

2.       Apply our cruise fare to another and/or different cruise in 2022 with a $250 refund/person but no price protection.

3.       Rebook the same cruise with price protection and a $250 refund/person.

We chose option #3.  Our travel agent shared with us that they have received numerous complaints from UniWorld customers concerning the lack of communication and UniWorld’s overall handling of the current situation.  They also added that UniWorld was a difficult tour company to work with from their perspective. 

My husband and I are satisfied and happy this situation is now in our rear-view mirror.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Roz said:

@CUTTERSAM, I assume you're holding a plane ticket.  What happens with that if your cruise is a no go?

I get an credit.  Delta. But,  TAP changed my flight to 2 days after my cruise begins, didn't notify me of the change, assumed I accepted it and sucked up my 1000 voucher that is suppose to be good til 4/22.  Multiple calls and emails and no response from them.

10 hours ago, GoesBoom said:

So I understand that on Thursday, Portugal extended the state of calamity until May 30th. 

State of calamity....that just about sums it up.  When are we ever going to get to cruise again?  The can keeps getting kicked down the road.

There is a great App called Marine Traffic.  Shows you lots of information and location of any ship in the world.  I’ve used it for years.  You should get it.  Well, the App shows that Viking is exercising their boats.  They have been leaving the docks for short 1 hour jaunts.  I’m sure testing and making sure everything is  in perfect running order.  So far I haven’t seen a Uniworld boat do the same thing.  Maybe it is because Viking owns their boats.  I think Uniworld leases theirs, I could be wrong.