Feb 12 Alaska Update

There May be an itinerary change to be out of Seattle. 

ROM21290 YJR
S.L.C.
S. ll
To restrict the imposition by the Secretary of Homeland Security of fines, penalties, duties, or tariffs applicable only to coastwise voyages, or pro- hibit otherwise qualified non-United States citizens from serving as crew, on specified vessels transporting passengers between the State of Wash- ington and the State of Alaska, to address a Canadian cruise ship ban and the extraordinary impacts of the COVID–19 pandemic on Alas- kan communities, and for other purposes.
IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES
llllllllll
Ms. MURKOWSKI (for herself and Mr. SULLIVAN) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on llllllllll
117TH CONGRESS 1ST SESSION
  To
A BILL
restrict the imposition by the Secretary of Homeland Security of fines, penalties, duties, or tariffs applicable only to coastwise voyages, or prohibit otherwise qualified non-United States citizens from serving as crew, on spec- ified vessels transporting passengers between the State of Washington and the State of Alaska, to address a Canadian cruise ship ban and the extraordinary impacts of the COVID–19 pandemic on Alaskan communities, and for other purposes.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representa- tives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
1 2

ROM21290 YJR
S.L.C.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the ‘‘Alaska Tourism Recov- ery Act’’.
SEC. 2. VOYAGE DEEMED TO BE FOREIGN.
(a) CRITERIA.—A roundtrip voyage transporting pas- sengers between a port or place in the State of Alaska and a port or place in the State of Washington is deemed a foreign voyage for purposes of the law of the United States, if the voyage—
(1) is made by a passenger vessel to which sec- tions 3507 and 3508 of title 46, United State Code, apply; and
(2) occurs during the period described in sub- section (b).
(b) DURATION OF APPLICABILITY.—A voyage deemed to be a foreign voyage under subsection (a) is a voyage which begins not later than any date prior to Feb- ruary 28, 2022, on which the Government of Canada or its political subdivisions, or any port or province in Can- ada, prohibits a passenger vessel to which sections 3507 and 3508 of title 46, United State Code, apply from enter- ing, berthing, or docking in Canadian waters of the Pacific Coast due to the COVID–19 pandemic.

Edited by ssb

I was just reading Michael Bayley's comment on his social media page.

1h  · 

Today, U.S Senators Lisa Murkowski and Dan Sullivan introduced the Alaska Tourism Recovery Act. This bill would allow cruise ships to sail to Alaska without requiring that they stop in Canada. If passed, this would represent a step in the right direction for the Alaskan communities that depend on the tourism industry. If you support the bill, please reach out to your representatives to make your voice heard!

1 hour ago, sandebeach said:

I was just reading Michael Bayley's comment on his social media page.

1h  · 

Today, U.S Senators Lisa Murkowski and Dan Sullivan introduced the Alaska Tourism Recovery Act. This bill would allow cruise ships to sail to Alaska without requiring that they stop in Canada. If passed, this would represent a step in the right direction for the Alaskan communities that depend on the tourism industry. If you support the bill, please reach out to your representatives to make your voice heard!

That legislation still won't overcome the immigration issue.

2 minutes ago, ssb said:

RCL must feel optimistic because they have not cancelled May cruises . We are anxiously sitting on top of the bubble waiting with another paid for cruise . 

They didn't cancel March cruises until Jan 12 so it's still "early" to cancel May cruises.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ssb said:

Does anyone really think a 5/12/21 cruise will happen and why?

No. See posts below. 

10 hours ago, NancyIL said:

Even if Congress were to override the PVSA - cruises still aren’t operating.. 

9 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

That legislation still won't overcome the immigration issue.

Why would RCI be in any hurry at all to cancel cruises that they are receiving final payments on?  Smart business move on their part, free loans!. 

Fair? no...not at all.  But if we keep giving it to them, who is to blame?  😉 

10 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

"... or pro- hibit otherwise qualified non-United States citizens from serving as crew,"

I'm not sure that that line overcomes their lack of non-immigrant visa.  They would still require, at minimum, H-2B visa's and that isn't going to be happening anytime quickly.  USCIS is currently a dumpster fire. Throwing several thousand H-2B's into the mix suddenly will only make it worse.  H-2B's will take them at least 6 months to get, scuttling any chance of an Alaska season. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think so. 

Question, I am supposed to be sailing on the Serenade June 2021 , I read my options! Confused about the lift and shift , first time with Royal Caribbean.  My final payment is coming up end of March, do I need to pay in full by that date in order to take advantage of the lift and shift. Or does your final payment get shifted to new date 2022? Thanks for your help

1 hour ago, NitaO said:

My final payment is coming up end of March, do I need to pay in full by that date in order to take advantage of the lift and shift. Or does your final payment get shifted to new date 2022?

It all depends on when RCI cancels and one assumes that your cancelled sailing will be offered the L&S option. If RCI doesn't cancel by final payment date (likely) you have to pay it. If they cancel before final payment, your final payment moves to the new date in '22.

Edited by Biker19

21 hours ago, ssb said:

RCL must feel optimistic because they have not cancelled May cruises . We are anxiously sitting on top of the bubble waiting with another paid for cruise . 

When RCI cancelled all May to October 2021 Odyssey sailings last week, the deadline to Lift & Shift those cruises was March 18. I think RCI will wait until March 19 to issue the next round of cancellations, and I think it might include June sailings, too.

6 hours ago, NitaO said:

Question, I am supposed to be sailing on the Serenade June 2021 , I read my options! Confused about the lift and shift , first time with Royal Caribbean.  My final payment is coming up end of March, do I need to pay in full by that date in order to take advantage of the lift and shift. Or does your final payment get shifted to new date 2022? Thanks for your help

You can shift now and your final payment date then moves to 90 days before the cruise in 2022

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You can shift now and your final payment date then moves to 90 days before the cruise in 2022

Have never done (or even checked it out) the L&S...though I have had way too many cancelled cruise.  😞 

I have one coming up due for the chopping block on Allure this coming May.  It was paid for with FCC voucher, except for remaining 212.00 that I paid in cash on final payment date.  When RCI finally cancels this one...can I do the L&S with that situation (having FCC involved)  Thanks in advance!  🙂 

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Have never done (or even checked it out) the L&S...though I have had way too many cancelled cruise.  😞 

I have one coming up due for the chopping block on Allure this coming May.  It was paid for with FCC voucher, except for remaining 212.00 that I paid in cash on final payment date.  When RCI finally cancels this one...can I do the L&S with that situation (having FCC involved)  Thanks in advance!  🙂 

As long as the L&S is an option having FCC's applied does not make a difference.  I've shifted several that were paid off with FCC's

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

As long as the L&S is an option having FCC's applied does not make a difference.  I've shifted several that were paid off with FCC's

Excellent!  Thanks again for your wealth of knowledge that has helped many of us.  👍🥰

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NitaO said:

When you lift and shift your final payment date moves to 90 days before your new cruise date.  No worries about final payment date coming up this year.

Murkowski and Sullivan’s bill is just one solution that has been floated in recent weeks. Alaska Congressman Don Young has introduced his own bill in the House of Representatives, also called the “Alaska Tourism Recovery Act,” that would “provide a temporary PVSA workaround by deeming roundtrip voyages between Alaska and Washington State as foreign voyages for the purposes of U.S. law.” Young’s proposed legislation would apply only for the duration of Canada’s cruise prohibition.

Yet a third suggestion was proposed last month by the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, which sent a bi-partisan letter to the Canadian ambassador, encouraging working toward a “mutually agreeable solution.” The committee suggested allowing cruise ships to stop at Canadian ports without letting passengers disembark, adding that such as solution would minimize the Covid-19 risk Canada is concerned about. 

“We’re continuing to pursue our multiple pronged approach to tackle this issue, by working closely with the Canadian government, our own CDC and Administration officials, and local Alaska leaders to address any other hurdles that could cause a delay in the 2021 tourism season,” said Sullivan

Edited by ssb

Dear valued Travel Partners,

As we eagerly plan for our healthy and safe return to service, Royal Caribbean® wants to make planning your client’s next cruise vacation as stress-free as possible, so we are extending our very popular Cruise with Confidence program! Your clients can be reassured that when they book on or before May 31, 2021 for a sailing departing through April 30, 2022, they can cancel up to 48-hours prior to the sail date in exchange for a 100% Future Cruise Credit. Plus, under our Cruise with Confidence program, your clients are eligible to take advantage of our Best Price Guarantee up to 48-hours prior to sailing, ensuring the best deal.

Also, to allot additional time to ensure full preparedness for a healthy and safe return to cruising, Royal Caribbean has made the tough decision to further extend our operational pause through May 31, 2021. Exceptions to this include our Singapore sailings onboard Quantum of the Seas®, China sailings departing after April 25, 2021, & Israel departures on our newest game-changer, Odyssey of the SeasSM. We understand that news of further suspensions is disappointing so, for your clients booked on impacted May departures and not previously canceled under our Cruise with Confidence program, the following choices are available: