Menu Rotations

harbourside

1 hour ago, harbourside said:

How many menus does Viking have for the main dining room.  How long before they start repeating.

In 99 days we never received a duplicate menu. Some dishes were obviously repeated, but never the entire menu.

• Like 2

We were always amazed at the variety.  Always crab legs/sushi, always baked chicken/steak/salmon  in addition to the daily menu changes.  Seems menus changed more with who was head chef.  We had a german Head Chef that we thought was the best.  Did a fried lobster bite appetizer that was so good we had a second portion.  We asked when it would be done again and the HC said "soon".  Then he left for home replaced by an Indian HC.  We never saw the lobster app again.  Still good stuff but definitely not "if its Tuesday, were having meatloaf" type thing.  In other words, always changing but hardly repetitive.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

The other positive with Viking, if you are interested in a specific dish, all you have to do is ask. If they have the ingredients, it takes 1 or 2 days and it appears.

This is what I enjoyed with Viking the most - is their variety of dishes to choose from. I remember that for breakfast I would just tell the guy what I wanted breakfast-wise and he would cook it for me. It was quite an enjoyable experience 

• Like 1

I have sailed with Viking Orion. My Southern Transatlantic obviously is cancelled, so am cruising close to home and have booked Auckland to Sydney, and am thinking of adding the Sydney to Bali as a back to back.  This is for February/March 2022.  Hoping this will happen.   Been covid free for quite a while in Auckland but have just plunged into 3 day lockdown from last night. 

I am missing those crab legs and the lamb chops at breakfast.

Edited by harbourside
  • Like 1

I miss the shu mei on the breakfast bar in World Cafe.  Off of the cruise, we can go up to our favorite dim sum place in Vancouver to satisfy my craving, but with the border closed, that’s not happening.  I desperately need to figure out how to make these.

30 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

I miss the shu mei on the breakfast bar in World Cafe.  Off of the cruise, we can go up to our favorite dim sum place in Vancouver to satisfy my craving, but with the border closed, that’s not happening.  I desperately need to figure out how to make these.

Where do you go for Dim Sum in Vancouver?

I usually avoid Vancouver in favour of a couple of places in Richmond. A couple of times a year, we do a work reunion, with one of the chaps doing all the ordering, as nothing is in English. The restaurant we have used for the past couple of years is the Royal Seafood.

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Where do you go for Dim Sum in Vancouver?

I usually avoid Vancouver in favour of a couple of places in Richmond. A couple of times a year, we do a work reunion, with one of the chaps doing all the ordering, as nothing is in English. The restaurant we have used for the past couple of years is the Royal Seafood.

When my MIL was living in Richmond, we went to Sun Sui Wah, and they have a location in Richmond.  A few years ago, she moved onto Dunbar in Vancouver, so now we go to the one on Main St in Vancouver.  The parking situation  is better in the Vancouver location.

My SIL is Asian, so when we go with her she does the ordering.  Otherwise, I order by the pictures!   We are usually one of the very few non Asian groups there.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

When my MIL was living in Richmond, we went to Sun Sui Wah, and they have a location in Richmond.  A few years ago, she moved onto Dunbar in Vancouver, so now we go to the one on Main St in Vancouver.  The parking situation  is better in the Vancouver location.

My SIL is Asian, so when we go with her she does the ordering.  Otherwise, I order by the pictures!   We are usually one of the very few non Asian groups there.  

Haven't tried that one yet, but have driven past it many times. 30 yrs ago we were regulars at the long since closed Top Gun for great Dim Sum. Laterly we used one at Westminster/# 3 Road on the 2nd Deck, but that has changed names, so we tried Golden Paramount a couple of times and for the past couple of years the Royal Seafood on Blundell/Garden City.

One of the chaps in our group is also of Asian descent, so he does all the coms and ordering. We always meet about 10:30, as if seated before 11:00 you receive a discount.

Although I don't have to cross the border, for me it is at least a 60 - 90 min drive, so it probably takes me as long to reach Richmond, as you are from Bellingham.

Little off the scope of the thread, but I still recall my first authentic Chinese dinner, back in 1976. I was working with a Chinese fitter in drydock, when he asked me to join him for dinner. Dinner consisted of steamed rice and a whole steamed fish. First time using chopsticks. Couple of nights later the fitter took many of the officers and crew to a restaurant, where he did all the ordering. Still have no idea what we ate, but it was most enjoyable. Consequently, after those experiences, Westernised Chinese just doesn't work for me.

Thank goodness for Richmond, Coquitlam and Vancouver.

53 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Haven't tried that one yet, but have driven past it many times. 30 yrs ago we were regulars at the long since closed Top Gun for great Dim Sum. Laterly we used one at Westminster/# 3 Road on the 2nd Deck, but that has changed names, so we tried Golden Paramount a couple of times and for the past couple of years the Royal Seafood on Blundell/Garden City.

One of the chaps in our group is also of Asian descent, so he does all the coms and ordering. We always meet about 10:30, as if seated before 11:00 you receive a discount.

Although I don't have to cross the border, for me it is at least a 60 - 90 min drive, so it probably takes me as long to reach Richmond, as you are from Bellingham.

Little off the scope of the thread, but I still recall my first authentic Chinese dinner, back in 1976. I was working with a Chinese fitter in drydock, when he asked me to join him for dinner. Dinner consisted of steamed rice and a whole steamed fish. First time using chopsticks. Couple of nights later the fitter took many of the officers and crew to a restaurant, where he did all the ordering. Still have no idea what we ate, but it was most enjoyable. Consequently, after those experiences, Westernised Chinese just doesn't work for me.

Thank goodness for Richmond, Coquitlam and Vancouver.

We have NEXUS cards, so we don’t have too much of a hold up at the border.  I guess it takes a bit over an hour to get up there.  My MIL has her favorites, so we go there, The Keg and for Chinese food not dim sum she likes Kirin.  Since she has moved to Dunbar, she has found an excellent sushi place, a very good Indian place and an ok Italian.  She still does go back to Richmond for some things.

18 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

We have NEXUS cards, so we don’t have too much of a hold up at the border.  I guess it takes a bit over an hour to get up there.  My MIL has her favorites, so we go there, The Keg and for Chinese food not dim sum she likes Kirin.  Since she has moved to Dunbar, she has found an excellent sushi place, a very good Indian place and an ok Italian.  She still does go back to Richmond for some things.

For non-Dim Sum, we prefer Danny's Wun Tun in Ironwood at Steveson/#6 Road. This was close to the shipyard, so we were regulars, having a special table in the back. Generally didn't order, we just requested the owner to bring food.

Locally we don't have any great Chinese, so drive to Coquitlam to Wah Wing.

Best Indian is in New Westminster - Royal Tandoori.