Australia 2021: is this a bad sign?

Ombud

I went into my December cruise and decided to prepay 2 excursions with OBC (Discover the Blue Mountains & Great Barrier Reef ones). When I click on my name, it comes up red saying "Guests with a errors." Why?? I can't reach my PVP today. I'm not ready to have yet another (would be #8 by Princess) cancelation 

We were considering a Australia/New Zealand cruise for early 2022 but decided against it due to their current quarantine requirements and us just know knowing how they will be at the time of the cruise. I realize that they have a 72 hour exemption, but, I am not sure how they will deal with cruise passengers who may stop at different ports of call within Australia.

Even with a  proof of vaccination, the need to quarantine on arrival could still be a requirement when arriving into Australia.  "The Australian Government has consistently said they expected to maintain a quarantine regime for some time after the vaccination program kicked in around the world." Source

• Like 1

We do not know when the Australian international borders will open. Currently only a very limited number of Australian citizens are allowed to return and they have to undergo 14 days' quarantine at their own expense. This situation is likely to ease by late in the year, but there is no guarantee international visitors will be permitted to enter the country for a cruise as early as December. If you can I suggest you shift your cruise to one in 2022. BTW, December (summer) is not a good time to visit the north of the country. It will be hot and humid and possibly wet.

4 hours ago, Ombud said:

I went into my December cruise and decided to prepay 2 excursions with OBC (Discover the Blue Mountains & Great Barrier Reef ones). When I click on my name, it comes up red saying "Guests with a errors." Why?? I can't reach my PVP today. I'm not ready to have yet another (would be #8 by Princess) cancelation 

I am on that cruise also.   I logged in and all seems fine.   I looked at the Blue Mountains excursion  but there are no prices.   Good luck and hope you can sort it out.  I had no error message.

Ok. So Aussies can book but not Yankees. I booked the room for the Meet & Greet fine, have my OBC all ready to spend, hoping these are still available when I can get in. If I can get those 3 I'm good 👍 20210214_150304.thumb.jpg.a6033e67e607a83fc736f1d0657e4d99.jpg

But they all say:

20210214_150434.thumb.jpg.76489b1d31d391f582117c00e7253c86.jpg

Asking PVP for help

53 minutes ago, Rassa said:

I am on that cruise also.   I logged in and all seems fine.   I looked at the Blue Mountains excursion  but there are no prices.   Good luck and hope you can sort it out.  I had no error message.

Blue Mountains is A$230 on my screen 

I realise you didn't post the tours you are planning to take to ask for opinions. I hope you don't mind that I will make a few comments. The areas you have chosen to tour are great.

The GBR tour from Airlie Beach is superb and it is one that you cannot do independently because of the timing. Airlie Beach is a tender port and by the time you get ashore, you would miss the excursion boats that go to the reef. The cruise ships have an arrangement whereby guests board the excursion boat from the cruise ship saving a lot of time.

Kuranda and Skyrail is excellent and is probably best done through the ship because you need transport to get to the Skyrail depot, then at the end of the day to get back to the ship.

The Blue Mountains trip for $230 seems very expensive and could easily be done for a much lower price if done independently. Trains run very often from central Sydney to the Blue Mountains where you could easily get a taxi to the main sights. Alternatively, you could take a day tour from Sydney with a tour operator. Another option is to hire a car, but this could be daunting for someone who might not be confident to drive on the 'other' side of the road.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I can't even get into the site now but glad you got in.   I won't be booking any excursions as I have done this cruise and visits to the areas but the Blue Mountains excursion seems OK.    If you have not done the Cairns one - it is worth it.   We have done it privately.   If the ship berths in Cairns, the train station is a short walk.   The Skyrail is near the Kuranda station and I can't remember what we did after that but DH tells me we caught the train back.   Good luck with your booking.

Aus Traveller - I have seen trips to the Blue Mountains at that price where it includes lunch with a bus trip up and a boat trip back of the harbour.    I would need to look at what is included.

• Thanks 1

I would add that the ride from the ship to the Great Barrier Reef can be very rough so you might want to take motion sickness medication before you go. Some people were sick all the way out and all the way back when we did it but my husband and I had taken motion sickness pills and we were fine. Worth the trip in any event.

• Thanks 1

Take a look at your check-in information to make sure everything is okay in there is correct and complete.  Another thing could be the type of OBC you are trying to use.  

Also PVP’s are not working tomorrow, Monday, due to the holiday.

Edited by kiwimum
  • Thanks 1

@Aus Traveller thanks for feedback on the tours. I've been to Australia a few years in a row now (2020 missed for obvious reasons) and these are all spots I've missed before. You don't want me on your roads. I messed up enough in England ~~~ so yeah, I'll pass up renting a car again.

@ringersI'm hoping the boat to the Great Barrier Reef isn't any rougher than Pacific Coast. But I don't get sea sick. Avoided that even when the ship was skirting a typhoon in Japan. 

@kiwimum I completely forgot that tomorrow is a holiday!!!!  I want to get a price drop + Godiva Chocolates on the cruise ($200) so I'll try calling 1st thing Tuesday

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

@Aus Traveller thanks for feedback on the tours. I've been to Australia a few years in a row now (2020 missed for obvious reasons) and these are all spots I've missed before. You don't want me on your roads. I messed up enough in England ~~~ so yeah, I'll pass up renting a car again.

@ringersI'm hoping the boat to the Great Barrier Reef isn't any rougher than Pacific Coast. But I don't get sea sick. Avoided that even when the ship was skirting a typhoon in Japan. 

@kiwimum I completely forgot that tomorrow is a holiday!!!!  I want to get a price drop + Godiva Chocolates on the cruise ($200) so I'll try calling 1st thing Tuesday

The regular Princess call center is open, just no PVP.

2 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

The regular Princess call center is open, just no PVP.

Thanks!! And yes, our offices are open tomorrow but on a work-from-home status. Maybe that's why I forgot about the holiday?

Edited by Ombud

7 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The Blue Mountains trip for $230 seems very expensive and could easily be done for a much lower price if done independently.

10 years ago we paid Princess $138 USD per person for the Blue Mountains tour.

I have encountered and still have the same error with our Papua New Guinea 🇵🇬 Princess cruise. I was told by Princess that the tours aren’t open but if that was the case I thought there would be a message not yet available. 

We’re 50/50 if the cruise 🚢 will actually go ahead. We hope so🤞!!!

Edited by Loki S
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ringers0815 said:

I would add that the ride from the ship to the Great Barrier Reef can be very rough so you might want to take motion sickness medication before you go. Some people were sick all the way out and all the way back when we did it but my husband and I had taken motion sickness pills and we were fine. Worth the trip in any event.

My husband and I went too Airlie Beach a few years ago (for a wedding) and decided to make the most of it. We did the Reef Sleep 😴, which we were the only guest for the night. So had the Great Barrier Reef at that time by ourselves not including the 3 staff working. It was amazing 😉 but our boat trip out was quite rough but really fun.

11 hours ago, Ombud said:

We went to the Great Barrier Reef from Port Douglas a number of years ago. The boat trip was a few hours at 25+ knots on a large catamaran. Had to sit inside, outside was too windy with the speed. At the pontoon we had to wear full body suits, no bare skin anywhere, to go into the water and protect from the deadly box jelly fish.

FYI:: spoke with Princess 1800# today and then my PVP called (on a day off!!). These excursions won't be available until 120 days out. Mary says they're still working with tour providers to firm up details expanding availability.  So both of us (PVP & I) will watch / reserve as soon as it opens for me. 

Migrating over to Australia board for input on which GBR tour I want -- Airlie or Port Douglas. 

9 hours ago, skynight said:

We went to the Great Barrier Reef from Port Douglas a number of years ago. The boat trip was a few hours at 25+ knots on a large catamaran. Had to sit inside, outside was too windy with the speed. At the pontoon we had to wear full body suits, no bare skin anywhere, to go into the water and protect from the deadly box jelly fish.

The danger from box jelly fish is real. It is only during several months over summer.

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

FYI:: spoke with Princess 1800# today and then my PVP called (on a day off!!). These excursions won't be available until 120 days out. Mary says they're still working with tour providers to firm up details expanding availability.  So both of us (PVP & I) will watch / reserve as soon as it opens for me. 

Migrating over to Australia board for input on which GBR tour I want -- Airlie or Port Douglas. 

I have done the tours from Airlie Beach and Port Douglas. If you really want to see the reef, I suggest doing the ship's tour from Airlie Beach. It does to a pontoon on the outer reef. From Port Douglas it is easy to book with a local tour operator. I recommend 'Reef Sprinter' who have very fast jet boats. You don't have to sit for hours in a catamaran and you don't get seasick because there is no rocking and rolling. The company takes small groups to either the Outer Reef or to the Low Isles. BTW, I have no connection to this company, but have taken tours with them on a few occasions.

• Thanks 1