Hot Dogs

Harry and Lucille

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 1:42 PM, rkacruiser said:

And what are the proper condiments for the hot dog?  Oh, and don't forget the bun:  toasted? warmed? straight out of the bun package?  

No ketchup! Deli mustard, pickle relish, cole slaw.

12 hours ago, clo said:

No ketchup! Deli mustard, pickle relish, cole slaw.

Don't forget New Yorker's Favorite Sauerkraut and Mustard or NY Street Vendor Style Hot Dog Onions (Red Sauce) that is a little not too much spicy.

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Don't forget New Yorker's Favorite Sauerkraut and Mustard or NY Street Vendor Style Hot Dog Onions (Red Sauce) that is a little not too much spicy.

Oh sheesh I meant to say sauerkraut not cole slaw although that's not bad either.

• Thanks 1

I like a good dog with fixins.  I can't say I've gotten a memorable one on a cruise ship.

As far as cooking it, you can't develop any flavor by steaming it and boiling it usually loses flavor.  It needs to be grilled or pan fried to develop some color and caramelization.  As far as fixins with limited hot dog stands I go for (grainy) mustard, ketchup, and onions but at a better vendor I'd go for a good chili (rare, I would definitely try the aforementioned Greek sauce) fresh grated cheddar or other cheese not bought already grated in a 20 lb bag, and caramelized/sauteed onions but I would be adventurous and try other options as well.

10 hours ago, seamus69 said:

As far as cooking it, you can't develop any flavor by steaming it and boiling it usually loses flavor.  It needs to be grilled or pan fried to develop some color and caramelization.  

seamus,

We like to put them in the oven and bake them. They get crispy and also break open juicy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

seamus,

We like to put them in the oven and bake them. They get crispy and also break open juicy.

I have never tried that.  It sounds like it would be a good way to develop some flavor and texture and also be able look in a large batch indoors!

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2021 at 10:31 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

seamus,

Never considered that.  What temperature do you set the oven?  Do you cover the pan in which the dogs are in?  If so, any water in the pan?  

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Never considered that.  What temperature do you set the oven?  Do you cover the pan in which the dogs are in?  If so, any water in the pan?  

No covering. Placed on a grill pan.Temperature depends on how fast want it done.

Also depends on the size of the frank. Ball Park is fat and others can be normal or slim and thin,

Pre Heated Oven 350 - About 15 minutes.

Up to your liking. Toasted look or toasted and split open... Not too long to keep them juicy.

I like them better than on the grill. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

No covering. Placed on a grill pan.Temperature depends on how fast want it done.

Also depends on the size of the frank. Ball Park is fat and others can be normal or slim and thin,

Pre Heated Oven 350 - About 15 minutes.

Up to your liking. Toasted look or toasted and split open... Not too long to keep them juicy.

I like them better than on the grill. 

Thank you.  I will try that.  Grocery shopping time for the week is approaching.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Thank you.  I will try that.  Grocery shopping time for the week is approaching.  

Remember ovens and brand names may come out different..Keep an eye on. 

• Like 1

though I want to try the oven method, I'm itching to use the grill this weekend so probably grill some dogs and I'll have to think on what I have to put on them.  I know I have slices of American cheese.  I might make some of my Onion Jam to put on it.  A strip of bacon would not be out of order either.  I think I have some bush's beans to go with them and a salad.  Maybe a little Sangria...

I will probably just use toasted white bread since I have no rolls and I'm not going to the stores this weekend with all the crazy people out looking for an extra drop of gasoline. 

1 hour ago, seamus69 said:

though I want to try the oven method, I'm itching to use the grill this weekend so probably grill some dogs and I'll have to think on what I have to put on them.  I know I have slices of American cheese.  I might make some of my Onion Jam to put on it.  A strip of bacon would not be out of order either.  I think I have some bush's beans to go with them and a salad.  Maybe a little Sangria...

I will probably just use toasted white bread since I have no rolls and I'm not going to the stores this weekend with all the crazy people out looking for an extra drop of gasoline. 

I can't wait to hit the grill. But oven is good on a rainy day.

Never had Onion jam on a frank. I should try. I have actually Maple Bacon Onion Jam from Stonehill Kitchen from our local supermkt. I too like bush beans - country style. They have a lot of good stuff in it. I like the hot dog rolls with the top slice in them. You can also use them for Lobster Rolls too!

2 hours ago, seamus69 said:

That sounds like a good idea both regarding the bread as well as the gasoline situation.  I am going to be doing the same as not being "out and about".  The sole street into our condo complex is going to be totally repaved Thursday and Friday by my Township.  (Something that I have been trying to get done as an Officer for our HOA for almost 3 years.)   While a single lane of traffic will be maintained, I see no reason to have my car leave its parking spot.  Plenty of groceries and wine; no need to go to the bank or the post office.  I will remain in my "bubble", but for a different reason.   

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

That sounds like a good idea both regarding the bread as well as the gasoline situation.  I am going to be doing the same as not being "out and about".  The sole street into our condo complex is going to be totally repaved Thursday and Friday by my Township.  (Something that I have been trying to get done as an Officer for our HOA for almost 3 years.)   While a single lane of traffic will be maintained, I see no reason to have my car leave its parking spot.  Plenty of groceries and wine; no need to go to the bank or the post office.  I will remain in my "bubble", but for a different reason.   

rkacruise and seamus69

Come to Brooklyn NYC for all the gas you would like. No problem. Wouldn't even know there is a problem. Gas under $3.00 and no lines.

19 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

rkacruise and seamus69

Come to Brooklyn NYC for all the gas you would like. No problem. Wouldn't even know there is a problem. Gas under $3.00 and no lines.

BklynBoy8,

I thought it might come to that but I did manager to get gas at the fourth place I went.  I should have just waited until this morning.  There's never anyone there at 5:30am!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Come to Brooklyn NYC for all the gas you would like

No problem with gas in my area of Ohio.  No need to buy gas.  The tank is half full and as little as I am driving anymore, that will last for 2 weeks, I expect.

The panic buying of gas that has been reported in the media is being done by those who have the same mentality of those who wiped the grocery store shelves clean of toilet paper, etc. in 2020.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, seamus69 said:

Has anyone ever used one of those spiral cutters for hot dogs?

they looks a little silly when you are done but I thought it might be a fun gimmick for a picnic.

If you are talking about what I think you are talking about I use it for another reason.

I use it to make Zucchini Pasta for lo cal meals. I haven't thought how to use it for other reasons. I think they call it Spiralizer.

On 5/15/2021 at 1:07 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

If you are talking about what I think you are talking about I use it for another reason.

I use it to make Zucchini Pasta for lo cal meals. I haven't thought how to use it for other reasons. I think they call it Spiralizer.

Yes, I think I made zoodles once or twice.  Never tried it on hotdogs but saw it on a cooking show.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am in the market for hot dogs for this July 4th holiday.  Many really love the Hebrew National brand.  Why?  They will be more expensive, I expect, than the Oscar Meyer dogs that I often buy.  

We use either Boars Head or Nathan Famous from Coney Island Skinless.

And we also use the Top Sliced Rolls for better holding Sauerkraut and/or Coney Island Cooked Red Onions. The NY Hot Dog Vendor use them on those Street Carts. And we use our local Deli mustard.

And also we have Stonehill Green Emerald Relish which is also tasty...

• Like 1