Photo Management on a long cruise

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

At present, I am using external hard drives, with discs, as I have a number of them. If I was to purchase new, I would be purchasing external solid state drives, rather than the older discs.

My laptop is also solid state, currently with 1TB and I will shortly add another 1 TB solid state drive.

I’m trying out a 1TB USB 3.0 flash (thumb)  drive. It’s amazing that they can squeeze 1 TB or even 2 TB onto a flash drive!

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Definitely suggest bringing your laptop in the WC. You will no doubt see me sitting in the Living Room with the laptop working on photos, or wandering down to the Theatre for a lecture. Before it starts, I am again working on photos.

I prefer to name each photo shortly after it is taken and even do some basic photo editing.

I have a Lenovo Yoga, which has (I think) a 500 GB solid state drive.  It is nicely light (and bright orange).  Good to travel with, but not a huge screen.

4 hours ago, sjde said:

My husband was so sick of his cell phone too and said he'd give it up in retirement.  HA! That was almost 6 years ago and now he is on it MUCH more than ever.

Haha - not me. They gave me mine to keep, but it sat on the counter for 8 months without ever being turned on. Gave it back to them after 8 months and after 8 yrs don't miss it😀

3 hours ago, JM0115 said:

I’m trying out a 1TB USB 3.0 flash (thumb)  drive. It’s amazing that they can squeeze 1 TB or even 2 TB onto a flash drive!

Wow impressive, I believe my biggest thumb drive is a measly 64 or 128 GB. I actually prefer the portable drives, as being bigger, I have less chance of misplacing them. Something to do with memory and age.😁

On 2/19/2021 at 12:07 PM, Heidi13 said:

The other thing I do is ensure the camera is set for the correct date and time, as I find that helps to differentiate between different places and the time may trigger the memory of where we were.

Setting the correct date and time is important to me as well.  I also write a daily journal and find that helpful as well.  Before I started doing this, I would get photos developed and wonder:  why in the heck did I take that picture and where was I?  My journal refreshes my memory.

18 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Setting the correct date and time is important to me as well.  I also write a daily journal and find that helpful as well.  Before I started doing this, I would get photos developed and wonder:  why in the heck did I take that picture and where was I?  My journal refreshes my memory.

Agreed on both counts.  My journal is one of my best resources.

I carry a laptop  for anything longer than a weekend trip. Everyday - at most 2 - I'll upload photos and my software will automatically make a copy to an external hardrive. Once the camera card is about 2/3 full - I'll swap it for another one. I rotate about 4 cards - but don't delete any photos from them unless I absolutely have to. 

I therefore have 3 backups- the card (in my camera or my spare card container), laptop's hard drive and my external hard disk. When we are travelling independently those 3 places are never in the same bag. 

I don't care about losing hardware - I care about loosing photos. 

Once I get home - or somewhere with free fast wifi  my laptop will automatically backup the photos to a cloud backup service and I'll reformat the camera cards. 

It amazes me the number of people who store all their important photos on their phones and nowhere else