A ray of hope from Alaska?

kangforpres

31 minutes ago, Lido - Lanai said:

White Pass Railroad is owned by Klondike Holdings, LLC. Carnival PLC is a minority partner, with Survey Point Holdings being the majority partner.

I don't believe CCL "owns" the Port of Skagway... as least not what I read from the limited research I've done. Perhaps someone living in the area can provide further clarification.

I believe this article explains it.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/carnival-corporation--plc-acquires-port-railroad-and-retail-operations-in-alaska-300661253.html

It appears that they purchased it, then set up a joint venture, while retaining a minority interest. Setting up the joint venture in the way that they did, having a local Alaska company be the major holder, gives them substantial advantages.

They have done similar things with other properties in Alaska.

Edited by nocl

On 2/18/2021 at 12:25 PM, kangforpres said:

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/Alaska-Updates-State-Lifts-COVID-19-Testing-Requirement-Cruise-Lines-Stop-Bookings

No more Covid-19 negative tests needed to visit the 49th State.

I'm hoping if Canada doesn't change it's "no-sail" date then Congress will pass something to amend the PSVA on a temporary basis. It is a law passed by Congress it can be changed by Congress, I'm talking about granted "exemptions" that are allowed in the current language. They could instead suspend it for a period of 6 months or so.

-Paul

I hope they do pass a law giving Cruisers relief.

• Like 1

Carnival purchased the White Pass railroad.  That means they basically got the buildings and land owned by the railroad, the rolling stock, and the Railroad dock, which comprises the two berths next to the mountain.  I believe White Pass also leased the Broadway dock and Ore dock, but I don't know if those leases transferred in the sale. Smart (maybe) move on their part as Skagway can only dock five ships at any given time and they own the berths for two of them, as well as control the capacity on the trains.  What effect COVID and the stability problems with the cliffs next to the Railroad dock will have remains to be seen.

3 minutes ago, Himself said:

I hope they do pass a law giving Cruisers relief.

This one says it all, why do "cruisers" need "relief" to spend their money.  How about just sending targeted relief to the affected Alaskan towns, where the folks can't afford to cruise.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, kangforpres said:

My source is Dr. Fauci's mouth has he was speaking the words on live TV.

So, I have been digging into this on the so-called "doubling of vaccines" next week. The ONLY info I can find was heard from governmental sources is "essentially" doubling shipments in the next few days to a week, strictly to catch up with the clogging of deliveries by the Midwest cold weather. So, other than the previously mentioned increase from 11 million to 13.5 million doses announced, I can't find any proof of "doubling" of deliveries of vaccine. So no miracle increase to get cruising started faster.

As I mentioned above, I heard Fauci say we would need "to work double time"  to catch up with the delays in shipping. A similar statement was made by another White House official today.

30 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

So, I have been digging into this on the so-called "doubling of vaccines" next week. The ONLY info I can find was heard from governmental sources is "essentially" doubling shipments in the next few days to a week, strictly to catch up with the clogging of deliveries by the Midwest cold weather. So, other than the previously mentioned increase from 11 million to 13.5 million doses announced, I can't find any proof of "doubling" of deliveries of vaccine. So no miracle increase to get cruising started faster.

As I mentioned above, I heard Fauci say we would need "to work double time"  to catch up with the delays in shipping. A similar statement was made by another White House official today.

Here you go Bruce, from the Pfizer manufacturing plant yesterday with the President of the US in attendance. Satisfied now? https://nbc25news.com/news/coronavirus/pfizer-to-double-shipments-of-covid-19-vaccine-starting-next-week

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

Here you go Bruce, from the Pfizer manufacturing plant yesterday with the President of the US in attendance. Satisfied now? https://nbc25news.com/news/coronavirus/pfizer-to-double-shipments-of-covid-19-vaccine-starting-next-week

OK, so...assuming they were producing half the total vaccine numbers, splitting with Moderna, that would be about 4 or 5 million more doses....keeping in mind the previously announced increase from 11 to 13.5 million doses per week, total release.

Good news indeed.

• Like 1

Another item that will help, is that Pfizer has improved their vaccine production process to cut the time required by 45%. They now estimate it can be done in 60 days instead of the current 110. Also they improved its storage requirements. The new batches do not need  ultra cold (< -90) and can be stored at more normal temperatures for vaccines.  

Edited by drowelf

1 hour ago, drowelf said:

Another item that will help, is that Pfizer has improved their vaccine production process to cut the time required by 45%. They now estimate it can be done in 60 days instead of the current 110. Also they improved its storage requirements. The new batches do not need  ultra cold (< -90) and can be stored at more normal temperatures for vaccines.  

CDC has to approve the changes in storage...it is not officially allowed at this point.

Just got an email from Health Care provider here in N. California. It says, they are expecting more vaccine,  they are confident they will get more vaccine and will start contacting more members for vaccine appointments!

I think we might be going to Alaska in September after all, maybe not sailing from Vancouver though.

-Paul

17 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

CDC has to approve the changes in storage...it is not officially allowed at this point.

FDA is the controlling agency for changes in label, not CDC.

Getting approvals for changes based upon stability testing is not a long or difficult process.  Just a matter of Pfizer running the tests for sufficient length of time, which they have done and submitting the results to the FDA.  Approval time should be very quick.  

17 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I believe the FDA has jurisdiction here, not the CDC, they had to give the initial approval for EUA and Pfizer has passed on the new stability data to them (FDA). 

17 hours ago, kangforpres said:

Just got an email from Health Care provider here in N. California. It says, they are expecting more vaccine,  they are confident they will get more vaccine and will start contacting more members for vaccine appointments!

I think we might be going to Alaska in September after all, maybe not sailing from Vancouver though.

-Paul

Hope springs eternal......

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

And if passenger counts go up, frequency of service could expand.

Actually, I will need to dispute you on that.  They've been under severe budget restraints lately, and the vessels that are ready  to sail are pretty much devoted to essential services.  Perhaps the feds could give some aid to get a couple of the ships that are inactive back in service, that would be nice.  I wonder if they could charter a Washington Ferry or two.

Roy

47 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Actually, I will need to dispute you on that.  They've been under severe budget restraints lately, and the vessels that are ready  to sail are pretty much devoted to essential services.  Perhaps the feds could give some aid to get a couple of the ships that are inactive back in service, that would be nice.  I wonder if they could charter a Washington Ferry or two.

Roy

Yes, they are under budget constraints because the fares don't cover costs.  If pax count goes up, total fare revenue goes up, and they could increase service frequency.

It could be a wonderful experience for people wanting to fly into Anchorage ,rent a car & drive to  locations like  Seward ,Denali National Park , Fairbanks ie . with lower pax in these areas could  not only be  a more rewarding experience of the wild but  far less costly   .Looking at it from a   positive point of view 

Here's a work around to Alaska this year, as some have pointed out you can catch the Alaska Highway State Ferry at Billingham, WA and sail all the way the Juneau or Ketchikan. And the Bellingham airport is served by Allegiant Air, and maybe Spirit? So hey start you Alaska trip in style by flying one of the 2 worst airlines in the USA.

Remember travel is as much about the experience as it is the destination,

-Paul

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

Here's a work around to Alaska this year, as some have pointed out you can catch the Alaska Highway State Ferry at Billingham, WA and sail all the way the Juneau or Ketchikan. And the Bellingham airport is served by Allegiant Air, and maybe Spirit? So hey start you Alaska trip in style by flying one of the 2 worst airlines in the USA.

Remember travel is as much about the experience as it is the destination,

-Paul

Or drive and experience the small towns that cruise ships never visit.

Roy

• Like 1