A ray of hope from Alaska?

kangforpres

53 minutes ago, Lido - Lanai said:

Not an easy proposition given the land border crossing requirements!

There are a number of options.  The Kennicott sails Bellingham-Ketchikan-Juneau-Whittier-Kodiak so you can get to Anchorage and the interior all by sea.  I think Canada also allows DIRECT passage between the interior, Skagway, and the lower 48 so you do have a bit of flexibility beyond the ferry schedules.  MV Tustemena provides service between Kodiak and Homer so there are 2 connections between Kodiak and the interior.  Also Matanuska serves Bellingham-Ketchikan-Wrangell-Petersburg-Juneau-Haines-Skagway, and smaller ferrits serve places like Sitka and Hoonal, so there are many options to choose among.

I last used the system in 2016 from Bellingham to Whittier, and here's my first blog post from that trip.  At the bottom of each post there's a link to the next post:

Kennicott Bellingham

Roy

13 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I last used the system in 2016 from Bellingham to Whittier, and here's my first blog post from that trip.  At the bottom of each post there's a link to the next post:

Thank you for posting this.  Bellingham is my home town (you're right, no cruise ships come to Bellingham) 😉  Years ago when my nephew was younger, I remember he took the ferry to Alaska.  I remember he (and many, many others) slept on the deck in sleeping bags.  I don't know if they still allow that, but at that time I didn't know if they had cabins (primitive as they are).  The ferry is a far cry from a cruise ship! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you for posting this.  Bellingham is my home town (you're right, no cruise ships come to Bellingham) 😉  Years ago when my nephew was younger, I remember he took the ferry to Alaska.  I remember he (and many, many others) slept on the deck in sleeping bags.  I don't know if they still allow that, but at that time I didn't know if they had cabins (primitive as they are).  The ferry is a far cry from a cruise ship! 

Lots of information here, including picture of people pitching tents on deck

http://dot.alaska.gov/amhs/policies.shtml

Edited by nocl
  • Like 3

Canada readout: 

"The President and the Prime Minister recognize coordinated border policies remain central to controlling COVID-19 and new variants while promoting economic growth and recovery.

• Both leaders agreed to take a coordinated approach based on science and public health criteria when considering measures to ease Canada-U.S. border restrictions in the future."

source: https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/statements/2021/02/23/roadmap-renewed-us-canada-partnership

US readout: 

"President Biden spoke with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in his first call to a foreign leader as President of the United States, highlighting the strategic importance of the U.S.-Canada relationship and reinvigorating our bilateral cooperation on an ambitious and wide-ranging agenda, including combating the COVID-19 pandemic, strengthening economic ties, defense, and global leadership to address the pressing challenge of climate change. The President acknowledged Prime Minister Trudeau’s disappointment regarding the decision to rescind the permit for the Keystone XL pipeline, and reaffirmed his commitment to maintain an active bilateral dialogue and to further deepen cooperation with Canada. The President and the Prime Minister discussed their shared vision to promote a sustainable economic recovery and to work together to achieve a net-zero emissions future, including through advancements in the automotive sector. The two leaders agreed to speak again in a month to continue to build out our bilateral cooperation."

source:  https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2021/01/22/readout-of-president-joe-biden-call-with-prime-minister-justin-trudeau-of-canada/

Scott.

• Like 1

More good news J&J vaccine will probably be approved for emergency use this Saturday, AstraZeneca will probably be available in the US by April. 

I still say there will be a partial Alaska Season starting around July 1. Hopefully for you East Coasters the Canada-New England Season will start up again too.

-Paul

You don't want to come to Canada...  We are not doing well, I don't expect DH and myself (in our 80's) to be vaccinated until well into April, DD, who is in her fifties, thinks she may get vaccinated in September.  Variants abound - lots of testing being done, but that's not a cure!

Just announced - all HAL cruises departing from Canadian ports are cancelled for 2021. This includes all  Vancouver cruises. Cruises with Seattle departures are still up in the air.

Edited by RD64

15 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Just announced - all HAL cruises departing from Canadian ports are cancelled for 2021. This includes all  Vancouver cruises. Cruises with Seattle departures are still up in the air.

Thanks- but please list your source when announcing blockbuster news like this.

5 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

2 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

Just checked my account, no banner announcement on the HAL Website and my Sept. 2021 Alaska cruise from Vancouver is still listed as a future cruise.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/topics/news/cruise-pause-extended-to-include-all-departures-sailing-to-or-from-a-canadian-port-in-2021/?linkId=112051953&fbclid=IwAR3xtOfvSy0Ksqo9ZGZPxlMSkD5CLHig43E-DKDZ5_zuioT8QSRVMFdoRHM

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

Hi, I just posted a new thread on this .....sorry if that was a mistake, but here's the link from HAL, it was also posted on Facebook:

Cruise Pause Extended to Include All Departures Sailing to or From a Canadian Port in 2021 - Holland America Blog

Looks like a pause, not a cancellation. Please try to be factual with information sharing in a post. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but presenting information as factual and not being able to provide a verifiable source is one of the reasons the world is in the current state it is in.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/holland-america-line-extends-cruise-pause-to-include-all-departures-sailing-to-or-from-a-canadian-port-in-2021-301234865.html

1 hour ago, kangforpres said:

Looks like a pause, not a cancellation.

I think pause is simply a pleasant euphemism for cancellation.   From HAL's communication to trade / TA community. 

source: https://gohal.com/app/uploads/2021/02/Trade-FAQ__2.24.21.docx   

image.png.e12c729ef16f04fb8551353f1ed65f01.png

As for Alaska -- on stop-sell currently, still TBD. 

image.png.0cc5e71787ad58ce285559562fd0d2cd.png

Scott.  

Edited by YXU AC*SE
  • Like 2

On 2/19/2021 at 10:19 AM, kangforpres said:

Sorry YXU-

Is it a lack of supply, you guys have a coordinated national health care system, you should be at least on the UK track.

-Paul

Unfortunately, we have a very UNcoordinated international negotiation system. Our vaccine procurement contracts, which the government refuses to release the details of, put us far down the list in terms of delivery. Estimates now are saying we will reach our vaccine goals a full six months behind our fellow G7 nations. Do not look to Canada to save the 2021 Alaska cruise season.

I received the following from HAL regarding my July 2021 Alaska booking:

In light of the cancellation of our 2021 voyages that begin or end in a Canadian port, your booking on this voyage will be automatically transferred to the same voyage sailing the following year, as outlined in our letter to you. For the list of cancelled 2021 voyages and their 2022 replacements, please click here.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/News/cruise-pause/022221_Cruise_Pause.pdf

We will be transferring your cruise-only or Land+Sea Journey booking automatically to the same 2022 voyage or Land+Sea Journey at your 2021 rate and in the same stateroom category, with incentives and promotions protected. Non-cruise-fare purchases, such as gifts, and spa will be refunded to the original form of payment. We are still assessing our ability to move all pre-paid Shore Excursions. We will provide additional clarification when we send your new 2022 booking information.

Our 2022 sailings are seeing strong demand as our guests look forward to once again traveling. As a result, 2022 prices are higher than 2021 rates and are likely to increase as availability becomes limited. Protecting your 2021 pricing, incentives and amenities at rate paid represents a significant benefit, and we hope you agree.

A new booking number and confirmation will be sent to you by March 25, 2021. While we know you are eager to learn more about your new booking, we ask for your patience as we go through the process of rebooking your cruise. Further details will be shared when your new booking is confirmed in our system and we look forward to answering your questions at that time.

This is a big bummer for me because, if everything goes well, we are not going to be in North America in July (or throughout the summer either).  I only booked because, worst case scenario, I would get 125% FCC.  Now that my options appear to be cancelling of my own accord and losing the non-refundable deposit or going in 2022, it won't work.  I will be calling them tomorrow to figure out what other unmentioned options may be available.