Photo management

sjde

I always have so many photos from just a week or two trip and now we are thinking of doing a longer one.   How do you manage your photos? I suppose I could periodically upload to my Shutterfly account but that could be really slow going on a ship.

I mostly use my cell phone camera (unless i really want to zoom in) --it's easier and quicker to upload to Shutterfly or Instagram. 

27 minutes ago, sjde said:

I always have so many photos from just a week or two trip and now we are thinking of doing a longer one.   How do you manage your photos? I suppose I could periodically upload to my Shutterfly account but that could be really slow going on a ship.

I mostly use my cell phone camera (unless i really want to zoom in) --it's easier and quicker to upload to Shutterfly or Instagram. 

Like mom says, when traveling I use my "real" camera, and swap out memory cards.  My cell phone camera is just for quick shots of things.  

I can upload from my phone to Shutterfly many pictures at once through the Shutterfly app but if I do it from my camera to Shutterfly by hooking up my camera to my PC or if photos are saved on my PC, then  I have to upload them one by one and it can take a minute per photo! 

I think it really depends of what the photos are for... ie printing, viewing on TV.. or looking at on phone.....

By the sound of it you are happy to use your phone and upload to web.. which is fine

For me using a Dslr and enjoy the moments and take a few photos but not of food and the like.  i take between 300-500 shots for a 13 night cruise...

and just use two memory cards.....

It is up to you..   and what you are comfortable with

How do you manage your photos? 

wait till i am home.. they are in chronological order.. I then sort into place name folders... after which favorites and ones for editing / printing    ( also stitching panoramas together... sometimes up to 5 photos )

Cheers Don 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

By the sound of it you are happy to use your phone and upload to web.. which is fine

Sometimes my phone (which gets darn good these days) and sometimes my camera.

17 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

i take between 300-500 shots for a 13 night cruise..

I could reach that but then a whole lot of those at some point just get deleted. I don't really need or want a dozen photos of essentially the same thing. I'm thinking especially of our Antarctica and Norwegian coastal trips. There's a good shot and then there's a better one.

21 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

How do you manage your photos? 

I set up cloud folders and, yes, one of those folders is FOOOOOODDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL  And I go back to them, sometimes to share here 🙂

final bun bo hue.jpg

29 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

What do you use to do this?

I use photoshop elements and do it manually

example below taken with tripod  zoom lens set about 35mm and took 10 photo to allow plenty of overlap... 

1752655712_arthurriverpanaramatake2smaller_8076035.thumb.jpg.f614dfcf4abba3a3f0ebe5e343810d83.jpg

Have done quick one  using wide angle lens 9-18mm... 4-5 photo hand held...

It ready depends on the foreground 

this one example about 5 photo but the to get the paths right in the foreground took a while to get right.

1613006159_highfieldlasttake_8294913.thumb.jpg.d67ce84d249c81200539400f278f82cc.jpg

Both have been printed and frame and hanging on the wall..

Cheers Don

One more from a cruise to New Zealand

1126720776_arkaroa_panat2B138796.thumb.jpg.15d848a4cbe4cae8a6c2ae0f951d011d.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Both have been printed and frame and hanging on the wall..

We have a decently sized house but could never have room for anything like a photo on our walls. We're selling our house soon and are going to have to have a "rotating collection" in our new and smaller place. Hmm, nope, not even in a (small) frame sitting on a table. LOL.

I use Microsoft's Photo Gallery (it is still available from CNET) to organize my photos and then use the included screen saver to display the pictures on my computer. I can specify the tags and star rating of the pictures to be displayed. Since the computer is in our family/kitchen area, we see them all the time. Some time we play "where was that taken?"

I also use a selection of the pictures as my desktop background, and have it change every few minutes. I use some of the pictures as background when I am in a zoom meeting. I have also made presentations of several of our trips to my Rotary Club, usually when they are desperate for a speaker 😁.

Like many of you, I transfer my photos to my tablet when traveling, usually on sea days, and try to tag them, rate them, and add captions while everything is still fresh in my mind. I take enough SD cards so that I don't have to erase them, thus providing a backup. When I use my cellphone, I upload it to the tablet as well.

• Like 1

I down load pictures I take daily to my lap top & label where they were taken so at the end of our trip I have a file folder of what we saw & were. I use Microsoft's Photo Gallery to do panoramas, it was on my lap top as part of the Windows 10 package. 

I bring my elderly [2013] MacBook Pro and load photos into a 'digital asset management' system [formally Apple's Aperture , now ON1 Photo Raw]. 

I will assign a couple of import keywords & sometimes star ratings, and the app will do some automated organization [by date, location]. That way I can get some custom collections / albums [3 star and above, in Normandy, 1997] to find stuff.

SD cards are only erased when the laptop has completed its second backup after the cruise.

I used to haul a laptop, external drive and other ancillary items to do due diligence and back up daily but have lately just relied on multiple cards. I switch out every couple of days, full or not. Brand name cards purchased from reputable dealers have kept my supply of cards free of counterfeits and I have never had a failure to date. This complacency is my casual trip mode. If we ever go on that Antarctic cruise or something unique, I would bring a small laptop and back up to it and an external SSD drive. With a laptop, renaming, sorting and culling might be done if bored, but it would more than likely be just for the redundancy. 

Dave

1 hour ago, pierces said:

I used to haul a laptop, external drive and other ancillary items to do due diligence and back up daily but have lately just relied on multiple cards. I switch out every couple of days, full or not. Brand name cards purchased from reputable dealers have kept my supply of cards free of counterfeits and I have never had a failure to date. This complacency is my casual trip mode. If we ever go on that Antarctic cruise or something unique, I would bring a small laptop and back up to it and an external SSD drive. With a laptop, renaming, sorting and culling might be done if bored, but it would more than likely be just for the redundancy. 

Dave

As I've said in a few luggage related threads, I take advantage of being local to the port [no flying] to overpack a wee bit - hence the laptop confuser and an iPad, plus an assortment of photo gear.

Mrs Bear will endure seeing some of the day's photos on the laptop screen - and makes the determination if any are worth sharing with our dinner companions.

I use phone to take photos for convenience, not quality.  So I just use google photos on my android phone.  Super easy, highlight whole days, save to a trip album, share with whoever is on the trip and they can upload too.  The key though, is to make sure every device is on the same time zone (preferably all within a few minutes) or the album can get super disorganized.

Google knows everything about you, so no need to really organize daily photos.  Can search for photos by location or people or date... scary world of big data we live in... 

Have a ILC camera for higher quality photos.  Kind of a pain but use google photos as photo organizer as well, more convenient to have it in one place.  But also have multiple full copies and can muck around on individual images if I want pretty ones for some reason.

I mostly have photos for myself.  Don't really understand why it needs to have more purpose than that.  I like looking at them and thinking of the nice times I had on trips and nice food I ate.  That's enough reason for me to go through the effort.

Edit: also I manage my phone memory and keep it nice and tidy.  Never have run out of space... so no need to mess with deleting stuff in the middle of a trip

Edited by UnorigionalName
  • Like 1

Have never had problems with memory cards....touch wood

But always remember the time back in the days of film.. loaded a new roll and didn't check the tail was properly caught.... 36 shot later,, thinking of all the great shots   film came back blank.... never did that again....  and it was shots of a railway museum just before it moved... so lost......

Sorting photos   .. put in month year folders ,, then break down within the folder

also keep a spreadsheet  of all holiday... dates, places visited, transport used..

( handy for how long since been somewhere or how long as one spend there..or which cabin stay in...etc )

So to find... look spreadsheet.. find date.. then look at photo folder..... which is divided into which camera was used... generally Dslr or compact. 

Interestingly it all comes back to why we take photos.....

I look at it as remembering the moment... seeing the photo it jogs the memory to remember all the detail of the snap shot in time...

Don

Edited by getting older slowly

I put the photos in folders first by camera (mine, my wife's, the underwater camera, and the cell phones) then by year and month. I do this so that if we don't get the date and time synchronized on the cameras I can go back and change the ones that are off as a block rather than individually. I tag all the photos by the trip (eg 2012 India) and the country and city. I also have some other tags like "beer" since we make a point of trying the local brew where ever we go, and "risque" for some photos, usually from some museums or certain temples that I don't want my young grandchildren to see yet, so I can flag my screen saver to not show those.

My biggest problem is with movies (which my wife takes a lot of) because while Photo Gallery will associate the tags with the movie, the meta data in the movie file doesn't retain them like the jpegs, so I lose it when transferring to a new computer.

I load photos onto my tablet each night and swap the memory cards (putting the used one in the safe).  Then when we have free wifi things are set to load pictures to the cloud.  I then have three copies, one on the card, one on the tablet and one in the cloud.

• Like 1

I change memory cards halfway through a cruise. I figure if a card gets corrupted, I will only lose 1/2 of my photos. I also use the Mini SD on my phone to save the most memorable shots. With regards to folders, I have three Sony mirrorless bodies (A6000, A6400, and A6500) which allow me to create a folder for each day's shooting.

Edited by Heartgrove

I am a semi professional photographer so I use digital cameras for my photography and can easily take 200-300 photographs per day. So on a 14 day cruise I will take around 3,000 depending on how many stops we make. To be honest I do this even when I am not crusing.

Although I use a variety of cards, I find the best way to store them on the move is either on a laptops hard drive (if it is large enough,) or on a separate portable hard drive. Memory cards are too easy to lose, and you can keep the small laptop and portable hard drive in the room safe if you feel that is necessary. Occasionally I will take the laptop with me on a day out and download the photo's on the bus as we return to the ship. This avoids eating into your onboard time.

Windows 10 laptops with 11" screens can be bought for around £250 and you will be able to re-use it on any holiday you go on in the future.

I also like to give people we have made friends with some prints during the holiday. You can normally do this at the photography station.

Edited by Photodom
General update

Maybe.. slightly off track..  but when on cruise don't take a laptop,,, only do quick check on camera screen.... otherwise..... I am still in the film way of thinking and wait until one gets home....    The way i look at it a cruise is more click and go

It is different on a road trip.. have laptop... and if one  takes photo... get back to base and look at them straight away.... so if needed can have a second bite of the cherry.....

Only once on Cruise have i connected the camera to the TV to check out the photos,   and that was a one off tour.... after which there was an eruption and and no more tours...or visitors to the place...

I lot of time by photography is recording the moment... only a few time when away, get the opportunity of going back and/or waiting for the right moment..

Cheers Don