I am not a semi professional photographer and take 300+ pictures a day when I travel. While looking a pictures is a highlight of getting home I try somethings to minimize my exposure to losing pictures.  I do not take a laptop but do load pictures onto a tablet so I have at least two copies of each image (one on the card and one on the tablet).  I leave the tablet set to load the images to the cloud when it encounters free Wifi.

I strictly shoot with dedicated cameras, but whether I used cameras or a phone, I'd still keep my photos backed up as I like to have at least two copies around at all times in case something bad happened...lost phone (for those using phone), or lost memory cards/stolen camera/technical failure (for those using camera).

I always have a portable laptop or tablet with me to check e-mails and such while on cruises, so I have a harddrive with me...I use that.  Each day on the cruise, I upload the photos I took for the day onto the laptop, and leave them on the memory card.  I prefer to use multiple memory cards rather than one huge one, so if I'm on a longer cruise, I might come home with 2 full cards rather than just one.  The laptop serves only as an emergency backup in case anything happened to the memory card or camera.  When I get home, I load the photos off the cards to my computer, edit, sort, etc from there - and just delete the backup copies on the laptop as I didn't need them.  Always better safe than sorry!

Since we generally do longer cruises of 4+ months, I can take upwards of 15,000 and probably keep around half of them. Last World Cruise where we missed most ports, I kept about 3,000 photos.

Therefore I find a gaming laptop with 15" screen, fast processor/video card, photoshop elements and external drives are essential. Every day the cameras are uploaded to the laptop, with photos remaining on the cards until the photos are named and placed in my menu structure - year/WC/port. Once uploaded to an external drive, I will overwrite the card as required.

When time permits, I will do some photo-editing in PSE and ensure the results are saved on the laptop and uploaded to the external drive.

Waiting until I get home just isn't an option when you are gone for 4 to 6 months.