Got Our Official Cancellation Notice-Trade Routes of the Middle Ages-April, 2021

pineapple1176

Got our official notice from Viking that our April Trade Routes of the Middle Ages ocean cruise has been cancelled. All cruises through May 31, 2021 have been cancelled. They are offering the same 125% to rebook on top of the previous 125% if you rebooked in 2020, which we did. However, we are “jumping ship” and asking for a full refund. Things are just too iffy and they have already had our $$ for over a year. No matter how many safety procedures Viking installs, we’re just not willing to gamble. Plus most European countries are still experiencing severe illness/death. 

Hopefully, we will be able to return to cruising in the future.

On 2/18/2021 at 7:34 PM, pineapple1176 said:

Got our official notice from Viking that our April Trade Routes of the Middle Ages ocean cruise has been cancelled. All cruises through May 31, 2021 have been cancelled. They are offering the same 125% to rebook on top of the previous 125% if you rebooked in 2020, which we did. However, we are “jumping ship” and asking for a full refund. Things are just too iffy and they have already had our $$ for over a year. No matter how many safety procedures Viking installs, we’re just not willing to gamble. Plus most European countries are still experiencing severe illness/death. 

Hopefully, we will be able to return to cruising in the future.

If you paid in all cash, a full refund will not be a problem.  On the other hand, if vouchers were used for any portion of the payment, I think you will find they are not refundable at this time.  

Personally, I think you made the right choice.  The suspension of operations has gone on for too long.  We have no way of knowing how much longer it will continue and no way to gauge how long any company can remain solvent in these circumstances. 

19 minutes ago, Porcupine 52 said:

Cash in your pocket is never a bad deal.  One way to look at it is Viking is paying off your loan to them.

If they take the refund they are just getting their money back after Viking has had use of it for however long. No interest.

I can tell you some times in the banking business I was praying the loan would get paid off... to heck with the interest.  As we used to say... some times your first loss is your best loss.....The money that has been paid is real money...the "interest" is only a paper loss...

JMHO

Viking has had our $$ since December, 2019. Our original cruise was supposed to be April, 2020 then rebooked (125% offer) for April, 2021. We feel they have used our funds long enough! Time to get a refund. Our cancellation email also had a nice added bonus at the bottom. Viking included a good-sized future cruise credit that is good until 02/17/2023. Hopefully, if they are still in business, we will use!

49 minutes ago, pineapple1176 said:

Viking has had our $$ since December, 2019. Our original cruise was supposed to be April, 2020 then rebooked (125% offer) for April, 2021. We feel they have used our funds long enough! Time to get a refund. Our cancellation email also had a nice added bonus at the bottom. Viking included a good-sized future cruise credit that is good until 02/17/2023. Hopefully, if they are still in business, we will use!

Every time those vouchers regenerate they push your refund out two years.

44 minutes ago, pineapple1176 said:

I think you may be confused about how this all works.

The only future cruise credit that comes in a cancellation notice these days is the future cruise credit for 125% -- but that is yours only if you don't take a refund. In other words, your choice is one or the other, either 125% future cruise credit or 100% refund of the cash used to pay for the booking.

The cash refund is after any voucher used to pay for the cruise have been subtracted out. The new 125% future cruise voucher that you are being offered is figured on the cash balance after the old vouchers have been subtracted out. There is no 25% bonus offered on existing vouchers; they return to your account at their face value --whether they are 100% FCVs or 125% FCVs.

Since you say that you have used a voucher to pay for this cruise, that is not eligible for a refund for another two years. Moreover, it is my understanding that if you do wait and ask for a refund two years from now that it will be less any 25% bonus, because the bonus is available to you only if you use it to pay for a cruise.

Finally, there is a firm deadline for requesting a cash refund. You must contact Viking by February 26, 2021.

17 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

The only future cruise credit that comes in a cancellation notice these days is the future cruise credit for 125% -- but that is yours only if you don't take a refund. In other words, your choice is one or the other, either 125% future cruise credit or 100% refund of the cash used to pay for the booking.

The cash refund is after any voucher used to pay for the cruise have been subtracted out. The new 125% future cruise voucher that you are being offered is figured on the cash balance after the old vouchers have been subtracted out. There is no 25% bonus offered on existing vouchers; they return to your account at their face value --whether they are 100% FCVs or 125% FCVs.

Since you say that you have used a voucher to pay for this cruise, that is not eligible for a refund for another two years. Moreover, it is my understanding that if you do wait and ask for a refund two years from now that it will be less any 25% bonus, because the bonus is available to you only if you use it to pay for a cruise.

Finally, there is a firm deadline for requesting a cash refund. You must contact Viking by February 26, 2021.

Cash refund is moot if he paid for everything from a previous re-book.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

Cash refund is moot if he paid for everything from a previous re-book.

Exactly. But since there is a FCV attached to OP's cancellation notice, I am assuming that there was some cash involved in paying for the booking. Otherwise, what does that FCV represent?

I have yet to hear that Viking is giving a 25% bonus on existing vouchers used to pay for a booking -- and if they are, I want to know where my 25% bonus is and why didn't I get it in the first place? Actually, that would two be 25% vouchers because I have had two cruises cancelled to which these vouchers had been applied and then reinstated.

3 hours ago, Porcupine 52 said:

This 25% bonus is getting very complicated with all the cancellations that are happen?  And it may get worse.

What is so complicated about it?

You get the 25% bonus just once, no matter how times your cruises are cancelled. Once your cash is turned into a voucher, it is no longer included in the bonus calculation. This I can tell you from experience and if anyone has been treated differently -- and can prove it to me -- I'd like to know about so that I can demand that my vouchers be recalculated on the same manner. Why shouldn't one rule apply to all guests?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

What is so complicated about it?

You get the 25% bonus just once, no matter how times your cruises are cancelled. Once your cash is turned into a voucher, it is no longer included in the bonus calculation. This I can tell you from experience and if anyone has been treated differently -- and can prove it to me -- I'd like to know about so that I can demand that my vouchers be recalculated on the same manner. Why shouldn't one rule apply to all guests?

It would not surprise me to learn that he had gotten conflicting/confusing information. In my experience, based on my first cancellation, the best way to get five different answers to any particular question is to ask five different reps.

• Like 2

We have chosen to "keep the faith" and hang in there with Viking.  We had a river cruise scheduled in July 2020 and early in the pandemic we could see the "writing on the wall" and rescheduled for July 2021. I'm not sure if it was procedures that were in effect early on in the pandemic (we cancelled in early May) or we had a "rookie" working with us at 1-800-304-9610, but was a lengthy and painful process which took weeks to sort out but when all was said and done we were glad we found the trip, date, and stateroom we wanted for 2021.  

Although I would never have believed we would still be deep into the pandemic this far into 2021, here we are.  I called last week to cancel July 2021 and book another cruise for 2022.  We wanted to move to an ocean itinerary and I dreaded the fiasco that I was afraid might be waiting for us.  As it happened it was as easy and pleasant as we could have wished for.  We moved to an ocean itinerary for July 2022, added a pre-extension, silver spirits beverage package, pre-paid gratuities, and air.  We still got a sizable refund which was posted to our checking account within a week of the call!  As I said, either I had a rookie the first time or they finally have this process streamliined.  We're keeping fingers crossed that 2022 will bring brighter days ... and a longed for cruise!

11 minutes ago, Porcupine 52 said:

I think after a year most of the TA are getting a lot better.  I had to cancel a trip and Viking got the refund back within days.  Good luck in 2022.  I am still holding out hope for August of this year!

Good Luck!

On 2/20/2021 at 4:34 PM, Peregrina651 said:

Nope, sorry Peregrina651, we will be getting a refund sooner for the original amount we paid in 2019. We also had no fault trip cancellation insurance. We will get back all of the original $$ either way. We would not expect to receive the extra 25% as we did not pay that, it was a gift from Viking. Also, our future cruise credit was a complete separate email,  not predicated on rebooking now, verified by our AAA travel agent. We totally understand the 125% voucher offer specs as this is our second go round! We’re bailing while the company is still solvent.

Most people never think a large company can run into financial problems as fast as it can happen. I am hoping it doesn't happen to Viking. They have always done a great job and I love the people they hire. BUT....

We all watched BP come days from being insolvent when the Deepwater Horizon oil spill happened (Not saying that the virus is as bad as the oil spill)  and they had their credit lines pulled. I can make a list of other companies it has happen to but really there is no need.   Viking had the first announcement ( if I remember ) on March 11 and said they would temporarily shut down until May 1, 2020. They will have gone over a year now and many people are saying they don't expect any cruising to happen this year.  How long can a company go without any income?  How long can a company go by selling future cruises when they can't tell you if it is going to happen? How long will people want a 25% bonus and Viking holding $$?  Will Viking look at at merger?  Only time will tell.

I totally understand people that want their money back.  I took my money back on "In search of Northern Lights" cruise.   With the 3 trips we had planned it reduced the risk. I understand people that want to take the 25%. A 25 % upgrade is nothing to sneeze at.   I haven't totally made up my mind on our August Cruise.  Kind of will wait and see how things are.  But if things are not going by the Feb. 22 Antarctic cruise I know exactly what I will do.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 7:49 AM, molymoo said:

Although I would never have believed we would still be deep into the pandemic this far into 2021, here we are.  I called last week to cancel July 2021 and book another cruise for 2022.  We wanted to move to an ocean itinerary and I dreaded the fiasco that I was afraid might be waiting for us.  As it happened it was as easy and pleasant as we could have wished for.  

Molymoo,

I am happy to hear that your experience was simple. We have a final payment due this week for a river cruise in September, but are planning on transferring that deposit to an ocean cruise in April of 2022. This will be our third missed cruise, and we sincerely hope that Viking will be able to hang on through to the other side. We will have two 15 day cruises booked for 2022. Not having those to look forward to is too sad to contemplate!

We totally changed our minds! We rebooked (2nd time) the same ocean cruise, Trade Routes of the Middle Ages, for April, 2023, with our 2nd 125% voucher. We thought about 2022, but don’t trust that the European countries will all have their act together by then, and this cruise visits multiple countries. Tough decision, but the best for us. We thought about using our no-fault trip insurance to just get a refund but we’re taking a gamble that Viking will be in good financial shape a while longer.

• Like 1

Trade Routes is a good trip.  Nicely paced, and offering new destinations for us.  Falmouth UK, Cartagena Spain, etc.

-------------------------------------

It would be great if Viking compounded the 25% "bonus" on Future Cruise Vouchers.  After a few more cancels, you could be in the owner's suite.  Alas, it doesn't work that way...

We have a Viking ocean cruise booked for March 2022. Final payment is due on March 31, 2021. Being concerned about making final payment a year in advance, I asked my ta to call them to ask if I could postpone final payment but they refused. I think that we will cancel as if they are not willing to postpone final payment at this time, I am uncomfortable with gambling that they will still be around.

They told my ta that this cruise is fully booked.

4 hours ago, Tidalmist said:

We have a Viking ocean cruise booked for March 2022. Final payment is due on March 31, 2021. Being concerned about making final payment a year in advance, I asked my ta to call them to ask if I could postpone final payment but they refused. I think that we will cancel as if they are not willing to postpone final payment at this time, I am uncomfortable with gambling that they will still be around.

They told my ta that this cruise is fully booked.

Viking has an older demographic, Cabins come and go. People get sick and can't travel. There is no way to predict the future based on today's state of affairs.

IMHO,  it is simple: if you aren't comfortable, don't book. Go with your gut. Don't let anyone pressure you into something you are not comfortable with.