The Daily for Friday Feb 19, 2021

richwmn

today is Iwo Jima Day, National Tug-Of-War Day, and National Chocolate Mint Day
also National Caregivers Day (added)

Williams and Holland's Law:
    If enough data is collected, anything may be proven by statistical methods.

Meal suggestion for today - Meatball Tortellini

Drink of the Day - Live and Let Die

Wine of the day - Figgins Estate Red Blend - Washington - Red

At Sea Atlantic
Nieuw Statendam destination Port Everglades eta today

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam
Noordam destination La Paz MX eta 2/20
Westerdam

La Paz MX Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Long Beach Anchorage
Nieuw Amsterdam

Torquay
Eurodam
Oosterdam
Volendam
Zaandam

0219West.thumb.png.ba67ceab78ffbc1cc18cd28b0fd3b0cf.png

0219East.thumb.png.8af74f45a095a5551e9c3c25afde54f9.png

0219Tor.thumb.png.f780771d5dafb56840a0f186bcfd4b76.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Happy Friday! (remember when that mattered?)

Thanks for the Daily Report.  You had me at chocolate.

A big shout out to Caregivers.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds great. 

Looking forward to reading about the drink of the day and the wine.

Love those maps, thanks.

Sending prayers to heal our world.

Stay safe.

• Like 20

Thank you for the Friday Daily, Rich.  A great selection of days, ESPECIALLY Caregivers.  As an actuary I endorse the quote and the meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Chilled Pear, Cucumber, and Melon Gazpacho, Caribbean Jerk Chicken Breast and Key Lime Pie, as served on MS Koningsdam February 19, 2017.  I'm at a loss for what the upper left panel of the collage is:

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/dishes19.jpg

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

RIP D. Roger Ferguson

Seasick Sailor’s water

Kazu’s neighbor

Bob Dole with lung cancer

cruisin single’s knee

superoma recovering from lumpectomy

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Me home temporarily

Summer slope’s DD negative

Easy fix for Debbie’s power problems

Easy jabs for Rowsby

Successful Mars Landing

Second jabs for Quartzite Cruiser and cruising-along

This community

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. An amazing combo of days. I will toast Iwo Jima and all caregivers (thinking of you @Gsel) tonight. One of my favorite places to visit in DC is the Iwo Jima Memorial. Not just because of the poignancy of the sculpture, but the way it is situated overlooking the Mall and all its memorials and buildings. At night it is a spectacular sight. 

Roy thank you for keeping our lists. Sorry that your appointment was changed. Sometimes the waiting is worse than the actual event.  Morning Dailyites. Joy, hope you get everything back to normal soon. 

Love the quote. Interesting name for a drink. Looking forward to Summer’s recipe. A mixed weather day here.  But I finally finished getting my back deck in order!

@lindaler hope all is well. @Dismomx5, hope your move is going smoothly. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

This Walla Walla red blend has excellent ratings for all released vintages. Expensive, but might be good for a splurge. I found a good number of distributors with prices starting at $84.89.

Winemaker Notes

Rich in color, the wine entices you with an intoxicating nose of baking spices, cherry compote, wild roses, cassis and caramel apple. Layer upon layer of perfectly ripe red and black fruits and silky tannin engage the palate.
WE94 Wine Enthusiast: In this blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot and Merlot, the aromas are all about dark fruit, flower and spice, with notes of anise, blackberry jam, soil and black cherry as well as a generous pinch of spice following. Luscious, full and highly structured fruit flavors follow. The impressive acidity maintains balance.
JS93 James Suckling: This estate blend has a dark-cherry, blueberry and cassis nose with hints of iodine and Indian ink. The palate is so even, so long and so effortlessly balanced in 2016. Ripe yet fresh dark berries abound. A blend of cabernet sauvignon, petit verdot and merlot. Drink or hold.
WS93 Wine Spectator: Structure meets polish, with vibrant cherry, black olive and river stone accents that take on richness and power toward refined tannins. Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Petit Verdot. Drink now through 2027.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23

Good morning.  Love Chocolate Mint anything.  Won't be playing tug of war. The quote is so true.  A statistics professor in college used to prove that to us all the time.  The meal sounds delicious.  Caregivers are the unsung hero's in todays medical problems.

Prayers, virtual hugs, and toasts to our lists.

Live and Let Die:

• 1 ounce of Pimento Liqueur.
  • 1 and a half ounces of rum.
  • 3 ounces of mango juice.
  • Splash of coffee liqueur.

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.47.07 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone.  

Looks like it will be a good day here today.  Chilly, but no major weather events to trap us indoors.  Despite being indoors so much, Sue and I have managed to get our steps in.  The other day we did over 3 miles and 8000 steps, just walking the laps from my living room to the kitchen to the dining room and back to the living room.  Next week looks like it will have some hiking days.  

On Wednesday we went up to Bainbridge to go to a store we both like for clothing only to find out the store was closing in a few days due to bankruptcy.   All stores across the nation are closing.  We did go to an outlet mall nearby and managed to snag some great bargains on shoes.  We were the only ones in the stores.   

Today we are making a trip to Office Max and to the grocery store.  I need computer ink.   

When I looked up today's meal, I was shocked.  The website where I find most of the meals certainly has an untraditional variety.  When I hear meatballs and a form of pasta, I think tomato sauce and cheese.   Well, this one had carrots and mushroom soup.   First picture is from that website and second is from a more traditional recipe.  

Mushroom Soup variety:   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/meatball-tortellini/

What you expect variety:   https://www.crunchycreamysweet.com/one-pot-cheesy-tortellini-and-meatballs-recipe/

Meatball-Tortellini_EXPS_SCMBZ17_22520_B01_12_2b.jpg

meatball-one-pot-a meatball tortellini.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Like @puppycanducruise, you had me at chocolate. . . The only tug of war that will be happening in our house is if DH decides to take away said chocolate.  LOL  Praise to all caregivers out there; its a tough job.

As I mentioned yesterday, we're into a warming trend; this morning we're only at -19C (-2F), which means by Sunday we might be close to thawing out a little bit.

I don't know what happened to my post yesterday, but I was saddened to learn of @kazu losing a neighbour.  At any time it is difficult, but even more now when we can't be there to embrace and help comfort them with our presence.

@rafinmdthe gazpacho sounds interesting, but I'm surprised they would combine a delicate flavour of pear with something overpowering like cucumber and melon.  The meatball tortellini sounds interesting, but it's Friday, so that tells me it's pizza day in our house.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them (with extra for Roy), and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra good vibes going out to everyone who is experiencing the severe cold and the damage that goes along with it. Raising the wine glasses tonight to toast all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, keep warm, wash your hands and wear your mask(s)!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 22

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

What a great collection of days!  I especially like that National Caregivers Day was added.  They are so deserving of recognition.

My dogs would be happy to celebrate National Tug of War day 😉 

That Law is ever so true.  The drink of the day sounds like it could be wicked 😉 

No meatballs in the house and I’m not a fan so I’ll have to concoct something else for dinner tonight and for the “Gourmet Goodies service”.  (That’s what my neighbour is calling me).  I tried a new chicken recipe last night - so, I’ll be dropping some off to her along with Spanish rice.  

@rafinmdthat was so thoughtful of you to add my neighbour to the Care list.  Sorry to hear your appointment was changed but I am so glad it will be done by teleconference instead of that long drive.

Rover made it to Mars yesterday and is now exploring and alongwith other research, looking for evidence of possible life.  I’m confused!

DE99AC3D-E60D-4864-9B94-53A041D1FF9A.thumb.jpeg.3cf2a8f3da30468ea11aded4cb640635.jpeg

And who knows who has been to visit us in the past?

6CB284AA-D4C6-4476-85F4-028862F88BF9.jpeg.0134cc092da834308c618f19d1f1d4e6.jpeg

Sounds like we are getting another storm - or not.  Depends on what weatherman you listen to.  That’s pretty typical here at times:

C35F381E-C5F8-4B23-A8F1-0A410DDE16E9.thumb.jpeg.c38de54f7fa14ea474df409044c4451f.jpeg

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good TGIF everyone.  Stay warm, stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 29
  • Haha 2

This date 4 years ago I boarded MS Koningsdam in Ft. Lauderdale.  I had marked up a white beach towel as a sign and signed up for a wave from the Koningsdam just above the sign.  Unfortunately, the towel sign was in the bag that didn't reach my room until after sailaway.  Still, @65 Gatorcaught me anyway:

sailaway.jpg

I'm thinking about @65 Gator and @Himself who haven't posted for a while.  I hope @65 Gator is just real busy with vaccine clinics and hope @Himself is just busy and didn't have problems returning to Illinois.

Also, I think @Seasick Sailorusually posts by now.

Roy

• Like 24

39 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Love Chocolate Mint anything.  Won't be playing tug of war. The quote is so true.  A statistics professor in college used to prove that to us all the time.  The meal sounds delicious.  Caregivers are the unsung hero's in todays medical problems.

Prayers, virtual hugs, and toasts to our lists.

Live and Let Die:

Soumds good!

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

This date 4 years ago I boarded MS Koningsdam in Ft. Lauderdale.  I had marked up a white beach towel as a sign and signed up for a wave from the Koningsdam just above the sign.  Unfortunately, the towel sign was in the bag that didn't reach my room until after sailaway.  Still, @65 Gatorcaught me anyway:

sailaway.jpg

I'm thinking about @65 Gator and @Himself who haven't posted for a while.  I hope @65 Gator is just real busy with vaccine clinics and hope @Himself is just busy and didn't have problems returning to Illinois.

Also, I think @Seasick Sailorusually posts by now.

Roy

Roy:  I have been on vacation , visiting friends in Orlando. I have been away from computors and posting.  I have only checked emails.  i am alive and well and feeling the cold of notheast Illinois.. ( Yes Viginia, there is a place called Florida and it is wonderful in February..)

• Like 19

I love Chocolate Mint!  I wish I had some chocolate mint ice cream sandwiches in my freezer right now.  All in all a good grouping of days today.  Good thoughts going out to all the caregivers today, especially.

@Seasick Sailorit's cold this morning there in Georgetown but I see the weather is improving and things should begin to thaw.  I hope the pipes in the attic will slowly thaw, and that you've got the water off at the meter, and the taps all emptied at your sinks, etc.  Fingers crossed for you!

• Like 19

Rich:  thank you for the post. I missed the DAILY while I was on vacation.  I missed The Daily, Roy's Care list and meal suggewstions, Summer Slopes recipie for the daily drink and all the other posters. I ad a wonderful time in the Sunshine State.  I did enjoy reading Captain Albert's post which comes in my e-mail. My best to all.. My meal for today is FISH. 

• Like 16

37 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

It does not look like Nieuw Statendam will actually be entering Port Everglades but just anchoring outside.  She does appear periodically on the Hilton FLL Beach cam:

https://www.fllbeachcam.com/

Caribbean Princess is due to sail today at 5PM.

Roy

Thanks Roy for the information and the link.  You are a good man. There is a princess ship at pier 2 this morning,

• Like 6

A nice collection of days today. I'm able to get here early because I took the day off in honor of another event today -- my birthday.  Later I plan to make myself a chocolate cake -- while I might enjoy adding some mint, I think I'd rather add some kahlua!

Meatball tortellini is a new one on me. Certainly sounds hearty. The wine today is a bit pricey. That said, I might break out a bottle of Brunello di Montalcino that I've been holding onto.

I like to travel on my birthday when possible. Last year, although I didn't tell anyone the date, the tour guide on our Campania trip somehow knew it was a special day and arranged a little surprise in my hotel room at the end of the day:

image.thumb.png.f0d0b93831870957b315a22d3346c07c.png

Hope everyone is safe and warm, with power, food, wine, and good company today!

• Like 25

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Live and Let Die:

The Pimento Liqueur in Summer's recipe is also know as Allspice Dram. The drink sounds good to me but I'm not so sure about the coffee liqueur (Kahlua or Tia Maria I suppose), maybe some bitters instead?

Sailing out of San Diego for Mitzi's retirement cruise (Oosterdam, February 26, 2005) -

1973948738_DSC02602(2).thumb.JPG.bacc3ef9a612796a2b3ed07306549539.JPG

DSC02627.thumb.JPG.3c1cbf0df80dd5e49dd2f478082b79ef.JPG

DSC02630.thumb.JPG.86b605271ff736e6b31d3f4c02c7685b.JPG

DSC02635.thumb.JPG.5e37ec7abaa1e8a688136333cf2bcc53.JPG

• Like 22