International to US Domestic @ LAX

Philob

MIL is returning 🙂 as there are currently no direct flights to SFO (where were at) she'll will arrive at LAX.

She's on CZ from China to LAX to SFO on DL on a single ticket. CZ codeshares with DL.

As I understand it, after clearing customs and immigration at LAX, there's a "in-transit" carousel or belt that she can drop off her luggage, go through security to her DL gate, and all this within the Tom Brady Int'l Terminal. LAX website shows DL gates are in TBIT.

Is this basically correct? And would a 2 hour layover be enough?

TIA🙂

Delta domestic operates from Terminal 2.

per Delta:

Delta International flights arrive on Terminal B, where customers are required to go through immigration, claim their bags, go through customs and walk (or take an airport shuttle) to Terminal 2 to recheck their bags to their destination.

Thanks, but MIL arrives to LAX on a China Southern A380; after entry formalities, she's on Delta hardware to SFO. Her tickets are issued by CZ.

So what you're saying is after immigration at TBIT, she'll have to go to Terminal 2 to catch her DL flight?

Edited by Philob

This sounds like much more inconvenience than it really is....Very organized, easy and they'll be help if she needs it. Advise her to take the shuttle bus provided.

I also think that they might transfer the bags for her if she takes the shuttle.

On 2/21/2021 at 12:03 PM, Ashland said:

This sounds like much more inconvenience than it really is....Very organized, easy and they'll be help if she needs it. Advise her to take the shuttle bus provided.

I also think that they might transfer the bags for her if she takes the shuttle.

Yeah, LAX is big but it's actually laid out pretty well for an airport of its size. All terminals are right next to each other in a "U" fashion, with Bradley being in the middle (at the bottom, if you will) of the U. No idea what kind of shape she is in, but the walk from the door of Bradley to the door of T2 is no  more than five minutes or so to someone in decent shape. On the upper level, most (but not all) is covered. On the lower level, it's dark but all covered. 

Of course, as mentioned, also the shuttle bus - easier, but longer, as it'll have already gone past T2 to pick up at Bradley, and then circle back through 4/5/6/7/8, and then over to 1/2/3 if that makes sense. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 8:21 AM, Philob said:

And would a 2 hour layover be enough?

Depends on what you think the airport will be like.  Also, is your MIL pretty mobile?  At a minimum, I would look to see what the likely immigration wait time requirements are going to be around.  https://awt.cbp.gov/ 

After immigration, she will need clearing customs (possibly another line) and after that she can the recheck bags (possibly a short line)

I can probably walk from  the front of TBIT to the delta terminal 2 in about 10-15 minutes max.  Sometime waiting for the shuttles is worse than simply walking.  Especially since  the bus needs to go the "long way" around to terminal 2.

I guess with COVID the lines are probably shorter, but you never know.  

12 hours ago, Philob said:

Thanks all for the helpful replies. Mobility is not an issue, but language. 

We'll be going to Plan B, which involves a long drive from SF to LA and back ☹️

Oh god...make sure to double your drive time just to get from the 405 in to the terminal loop. 

Dumpster Fire GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 5:56 PM, Philob said:

Thanks all for the helpful replies. Mobility is not an issue, but language. 

Wondered about this.  

On 3/7/2021 at 5:56 PM, Philob said:

We'll be going to Plan B, which involves a long drive from SF to LA and back

That doesn't sound like much fun.  Hopefully the flight comes in at a time such that you won't experience too much traffic getting in and out of LA.  I expect that COVID is still keeping the traffic down somewhat and at least you'll get the carpool lane.

4 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Wondered about this.  

That doesn't sound like much fun.  Hopefully the flight comes in at a time such that you won't experience too much traffic getting in and out of LA.  I expect that COVID is still keeping the traffic down somewhat and at least you'll get the carpool lane.

MIL's flight doesn't arrive until after 8pm. COVID restrictions aside, plan is to drive down day of, check in a nearby LAX hotel, hotel shuttle to & back, overnight and drive back. 

1 hour ago, Philob said:

MIL's flight doesn't arrive until after 8pm. COVID restrictions aside, plan is to drive down day of, check in a nearby LAX hotel, hotel shuttle to & back, overnight and drive back. 

Good decision!  Takes a lot of the pressure off of trying to time things too closely and having a super long day.

15 hours ago, Philob said:

Very good decision. Even at 8pm, and even during Covid, LAX can be packed then...I've done it during Covid, even when it was quieter, and it was still kind of crazy. Now that traffic is picking up again, it can only be getting worse again. 

There are tons of decent airports right by LAX with shuttles. H Hotel Los Angeles has become my go-to, and is quite nice. It falls under the Hilton brand, if that matters.