I'm starting to budget for Hawaii July 2022

lissie

This is all on paper at the moment - booking nothing until next year. 

I normally budget by looking at typical hotel rates for the place/time and work from there. However I think I'm seeing low rates at the moment - because Pandemic.  Can more knowledgeable people tell me if US$200/night at  Queen Kapiolani Hotel is reasonable (inc tax resorts fees etc) or a bit low.  I know Waikiki is expensive - but we'd like to spend  a night or 2 in the area while transitting from NZ  to SF for a cruise. Can I expect to get somewhere central for that sort of budget in "normal" times? I guess July is peak season? 

This would be mid-July 2022 

Given the expected much higher demand after Covid passes...I would say starting at $200 per night is a good idea.

I would describe that as more on the edge of Waikiki, but that is a very relative statement, as Waikiki is pretty small area and very walkable. I would note the price doesn't indicate it is in the "thick of things".

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lissie said:

This is all on paper at the moment - booking nothing until next year. 

It may be worth seeing what deals you can lock in later this year as 2022 inventory opens up. If you are willing to put a guarantee or deposit down you might be able to lock in some deals before the flood gates open. I would most likely only do this with major hotel brands like Marriott, Hilton etc-- if an independent hotel went out of business it may be difficult to get your deposit back. 

Can I expect to get somewhere central for that sort of budget in "normal" times? I guess July is peak season?

July is sort of off season-- the biggest crowds are coming from the West Coast of the US during the winter months to get out of the cold. That being said-- there is going to be an enormous amount of pent up demand as Covid restrictions loosen and I wouldn't pretend to know how 2022 will look demand wise. 

Can more knowledgeable people tell me if US$200/night at  Queen Kapiolani Hotel is reasonable (inc tax resorts fees etc) or a bit low.

I think $200 a night realistically prices you in between budget properties and midrange hotels which are going to be near the mid to high $200s. The big name Waikiki resorts (Sheraton, Royal Hawaiian, Hilton Hawaiian Village, Moana Surfrider) right on the beach are going to be priced in the low to mid $300s. 

Its totally reasonable to find a good deal on a 3-4 star hotel near your budget but you'll have to do a little looking around for it. As most major hotels are only booking up into Feb 2022 right now it will be a little bit of a waiting game. 

I do agree with @CruiserBruce that Queen Kapiolani is a bit out of the way. I would be surprised if you couldn't find something more centrally located along the beach at a similar price point as you get closer. 

• Like 1

Thank you @CruiserBruce and @princeton123211 - that was the kind of insight I was hoping for - we've never been to Hawaii even though its (in normal times) I fairly short flight from NZ! 

3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

It may be worth seeing what deals you can lock in later this year as 2022 inventory opens up. If you are willing to put a guarantee or deposit down you might be able to lock in some deals before the flood gates open. I would most likely only do this with major hotel brands like Marriott, Hilton etc-- if an independent hotel went out of business it may be difficult to get your deposit back. 

Thank you that timing could sort of work for us.  The cruise can be cancelled up until mid Jan 22 with little penalty so I'm looking at making an actual commitment to the trip at around  the end of the year ie buying some airfares and starting do to the connections.   By then it should be much clearer about what conditions cruises are actually happening in. 

I take your point about properties going bankrupt - which does make me reluctant to put down an actual deposit - however I think I can get cover for that  if  I use a credit card - and possibly from insurance too. 

The $200 isn't unreasonable for the Queen Kapiolani. I  think the location is great because it is NOT Central Waikiki. It sits at the Diamond Head end of Waikiki and has a huge park next to it.

You won't get on the beach in Waikiki for $200 in 2022. The Outrigger Hotels used to be in that range, but they've were sold by the original owner and now are much more expensive.

You might get in the Hilton Hawaiian Village for $200, but it would be in a tower that is actually further from the beach than the Queen Kapiolani.

I would check the Kaimana Beach Hotel. It is on the beach and a long time favorite of ours. It is just outside the Waikiki District, which suits us just fine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I smiled when i saw your title. One year ago i booked POA for November 2021. Every month i put money in an envelope and for a long time it didnt seem much was being saved but in April of this year i will have the entire cruise paid for.

• Like 3

lissie - I love the end of Waikiki where the Queen Kap is.  The views over Kapiolani park and to Diamond Head are beautiful.  Another hotel at that end is the Park Shore.  It has basically the great views but is across the street from the beach.  I think both hotels offer complimentary beach chairs.  Lulu's is one of our favorite restaurants and connected to the Park Shore and 1 block from the Queen Kapiolani.  I love Waikiki...have fun.  Cherie

sugcarol - How fun to have the cruise paid for and just looking forward to the adventure.  Cherie

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to check out the Luana Waikiki which is adjacent to Fort DeRussy park and is a short walk to the beach. It’s a Aqua resort property and I stayed there a few years ago. Great location as it’s away from the busier section of Waikiki but still walkable to everything.