Upgrade Fairy

ScottC4746

More likely, the Upsell Fairy.  We were offered an upsell to the Pinnacle Suite, the one and only time we were booked in a Neptune suite, but, it was still too rich for me.  Enjoy the Neptune.  It greatly enhanced our cruise especially on the Alaska itinerary.

Edited by FlorenceItaly
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

More likely, the Upsell Fairy.  We were offered an upsell to the Pinnacle Suite, the one and only time we were booked in a Neptune suite, but, it was still too rich for me.  Enjoy the Neptune.  It greatly enhanced our cruise especially on the Alaska itinerary.

This is our second cruise in a Neptune.  First midship.  Last time was aft wrap and felt the room was smaller than normal and a little too bouncy for us.  We want to know we are on a ship...not in a cocktail shaker. HA!

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

This is our second cruise in a Neptune.  First midship.  Last time was aft wrap and felt the room was smaller than normal and a little too bouncy for us.  We want to know we are on a ship...not in a cocktail shaker. HA!

Ours was just a few doors down from the Neptune Lounge, perfect location.  The only disappointment is NO complimentary alcohol.  I think for their prices they could include at the very least wine in the evening.  They provided alcohol but it was a pour yourself and sign the book so they may charge you.

The lounge concierge's are front desk personnel who rotate through so they are not as polished as Celebrity, but, still a good experience.  If you haven't cruised in a Celebrity suite it is something to consider.

10 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Ours was just a few doors down from the Neptune Lounge, perfect location.  The only disappointment is NO complimentary alcohol.  I think for their prices they could include at the very least wine in the evening.  They provided alcohol but it was a pour yourself and sign the book so they may charge you.

The lounge concierge's are front desk personnel who rotate through so they are not as polished as Celebrity, but, still a good experience.  If you haven't cruised in a Celebrity suite it is something to consider.

I haven't been on a Celebrity anything yet.

We’ve had 9 Neptune Suite cruises, all midship near the lounge. Our experience has been that there is one dedicated concierge staff who is always there except when relieved by a Front Office crew member, but the same one all the time. 

• Like 2

When is your cruise?  Upgrades and Upsells are based on available capacity starting about 14 days before the sail date. And yes they will try and upsell the empty Pinnacle suite to anyone who they think may want to bite at the offer.

If no one is interested in taking the upsell,  (after several offer attempts by HAL at different price points) then they might let the upgrade fairy break out the magic wand. Sometimes this doesn't happen until T-24 hours until sailing. Some have reported the upgrade fairy meeting them at the pier during check-in and embarkation process.

-Paul

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

When is your cruise?  Upgrades and Upsells are based on available capacity starting about 14 days before the sail date. And yes they will try and upsell the empty Pinnacle suite to anyone who they think may want to bite at the offer.

If no one is interested in taking the upsell,  (after several offer attempts by HAL at different price points) then they might let the upgrade fairy break out the magic wand. Sometimes this doesn't happen until T-24 hours until sailing. Some have reported the upgrade fairy meeting them at the pier during check-in and embarkation process.

-Paul

15 May 2022 from Athens to Rome.  So I take it if the upgrade fairy meets me at the pier at check in, early bird gets the worm or upgrade in this case?

1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

15 May 2022 from Athens to Rome.  So I take it if the upgrade fairy meets me at the pier at check in, early bird gets the worm or upgrade in this case?

Not necessary. It seems from reports on CC that the both the upgrade and upsell fairies tend to visit people who only have sailed once or twice with HAL. That was true with me to, I was upgraded only once on my 2nd HAL cruise from a Veranda Suite to a Signature Suite. I've been offered upsells for just about every other HAL cruise. (4 star mariner, I think 15 HAL cruises)

So being first in line at the pier will not improve your chances, they mysterious HAL algorithm has already decided your destiny.

There is an onboard trick to do at the Front Office too, once you board if you want to know that.

-Paul

1 hour ago, kangforpres said:

If no one is interested in taking the upsell,  (after several offer attempts by HAL at different price points) then they might let the upgrade fairy break out the magic wand.

I would not bet on an upgrade to the PS.  An upsell yes, but not an upgrade.  They will let the PS sail empty (I’ve seen it) rather than give it away on a straight upgrade.

25 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

Not necessary. It seems from reports on CC that the both the upgrade and upsell fairies tend to visit people who only have sailed once or twice with HAL.

No one really knows how the upsell/upgrade fairy works.  My friends (who are 5* Mariners) have really been blessed with great upgrades several times.  So, you don’t have to be new to be upgraded.

One captain once said “I think they throw darts and see where they land” 😉

.There is an onboard trick to do at the Front Office too, once you board if you want to know that.

Just my experience - ships are usually full and there is often a sign at the front desk saying the ship is full and please do not ask.

• Like 2

It can and did happen to us on an Alaskan cruise.  The night before embarkation we received a new booking confirmation email with a different suite # (7001 instead of 7010) ... never really thought much of it till the next morning.  It truly was a most memorable surprise and experience.

We figure it came down to good fortune and the demographics of fellow passengers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kangforpres said:

Not necessary. It seems from reports on CC that the both the upgrade and upsell fairies tend to visit people who only have sailed once or twice with HAL. That was true with me to, I was upgraded only once on my 2nd HAL cruise from a Veranda Suite to a Signature Suite. I've been offered upsells for just about every other HAL cruise. (4 star mariner, I think 15 HAL cruises)

So being first in line at the pier will not improve your chances, they mysterious HAL algorithm has already decided your destiny.

There is an onboard trick to do at the Front Office too, once you board if you want to know that.

-Paul

Yes what is the onboard trick.

This is such a great thread, all the ideas!  All the upgrades we have received have been 2 to 30 days out, emailed from HAL as "a change in stateroom".  Most have been within a category (F to C,  VF to VA).

Upsells , same time frame.  All have been from booked category to next one or two higher categories ( Inside to Outside and Balcony; Outside to Balcony).

Being a 5 Star Mariner appears to make a small difference, but there seem to be many variables and the Upgrade Fairy likes being mysterious :)

ScottC4764-

Go to the Front Desk once on board, introduce yourself and what cabin you are in and ask if any upgrades are available, They will take you info and contact you by that evening if there were any "no-shows" or last minute cancellations.

Some people report limited success with this, We now always book the cabin we want so I've only tried this once and they did call me at the end of the first day and say they had nothing to offer.

Good Luck, May from Athens, I hope you get to go.

-P.

5 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

I haven't been on a Celebrity anything yet.

If you get the chance try a suite on Celebrity.  We have been in many Neptune suites but booked a Celebrity Sky suite for one cruise.  Hands down beats HAL.  They have a private dining room for suite only guests which was excellent.  There was also Michael’s club open to suite only guests which included all your alcohol.  Great place to meet others or just relax.

Of course it also came with a butler who we told him we didn’t need him, lol.  He was low key for us but always checked in.  One day our excursion was late getting back and he put a plate of appetizers in our cabin with a note hoping it didn’t offend us!  

There were many other perks but you get the idea.

As much as we have enjoyed Neptune suites they need to upgrade their perks in my opinion.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

I have seen the PS sail empty and when I asked at the front desk, they said it would be full list price.  No thanks.

Our experience as well.  

Once many years ago, MANY - they offered it on a bid and raffle system.  I haven’t seen it since then.  We didn’t bid as the minimum price was out of our budget but someone did get in the PS.  They paid a bit more than the upsell price 😉   Which is pricey.

Interesting thread.  We had a balcony cabin on a cruise and received an upsell offer to a Pinnacle Suite about two weeks before sailing.  As I recall, it was still too rich for us but less than full-price.  We guessed that a rather large group received the offer at the same time in the hope that someone would take it.

A couple of times when we booked a Neptune we were offered the Pinnacle.  As I recall it was about $1000 more per person for a 7 day cruise.  A bit rich for us, but we might have taken it if we were traveling in a group, as it would be a great gathering place.

On 2/22/2021 at 7:39 AM, kangforpres said:

-Paul

Did you book with a HAL personalized cruise consultant?Im guessing you havent, but If you did, send them an email and let them know you're interested. If they want too much money for the upgrade, don't be afraid to negotiate. Keep an eye on the offers for the category you're in and use it as leverage if your category price was offered lower than what you paid. 

Hope this helps. Went to an anniversary party in one of the Pinnacle Suites many years ago. It was wonderful!