The Daily for Tuesday Feb 23, 2021

richwmn

today is International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day, Tennis Day, Curling is Cool Day, and National Rationalization Day

I often quote myself; it adds spice to my conversation.
        -- G. B. Shaw

Meal suggestion for today - Honey Chicken Stir-Fry

Drink of the Day - Miami Vice

Wine of the day - Pio Cesare Barodo DOCG - Italy - Red vintage

at Sea English Channel
Zaandam destination Portland eta 2/25

at Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam destination La Paz MX eta 2/24
Westerdam destination Baja eta 2/25

Brest FR
Oosterdam

Freeport Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam

La Paz MX Anchorage
Noordam
Zuiderdam

Los Angeles
Koningsdam

Torquay
Eurodam
Volendam

0223USA.thumb.png.b5e74da51cedfcd5caf1850e8c163e65.png

0223Tor.thumb.png.016ef1df44ad5cba7f37580ec229b88a.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  A lot of people here will celebrate Dog Biscuits.  Cheers to the winners in the recent Australian Open.   Lots of rationalizations these days.  Several of my Canadian Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins were Curlers.  A very interesting quote from quite an interesting guy.  The meal suggestion sounds like a winner.  My alternative is Honey Pineapple, Rack of Lamb with Tomato Couscous and Garlic Pearls, and Peach Crisp, as served on MS Koningsdam February 23, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/dishes23.jpg

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

500,000 US Covid deaths

superoma recovering from lumpectomy

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

cat shepard’s new door

This community

SBA Forgiveness of my church’s PPP loan

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone and thanks once again , Rich and Roy. I already have smiles from the quote and the thought about curling, I think I will give the menu for today a try once I see the recipe.

Roy, you are a bright spot in my day! Prayers and good wishes as you make decisions about your health. You are needed here. 

I missed margarita day yesterday so will have to make up for that today.

There is something promising about the slow and steady vaccine process and a glimpse of spring here. Smiles and happy thoughts to all!

• Like 19

Good morning, everyone!   

I am up early because I am going to try the water fitness class at my gym at 8:00 am.  It has been almost a year since I quit going due to the pandemic.  When classes resumed I felt there were too many in attendance, but my inside informant says class size has shrunk in half and everyone is well separated.  I will check it out for myself and if it still seems unsafe, continue to stay home.  I did talk this through with my doctor yesterday, so I am feeling confident.  My back really, really wants me back in the pool.  

Today's meal sounds interesting and there are a lot of things you can do to tweak it and make it to your taste.   The suggestions in the comments offer some great ideas.   

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/honey-chicken-stir-fry/

honey-garlic-chicken-2-1.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Bertie appreciates dog biscuits.🙂  Lots of curlers up here.  The Tournament of Hearts is being played in Calgary.  The skip of the Ontario team, Rachel Homan, is playing really well - and she's 8 months pregnant!

Interesting quote.

That dinner looks great - thanks for the suggestion and the recipe.

Looking forward to reading about the Drink of the Day and the wine.

Sending prayers for everyone on the Care List.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Love the collection of days and I can guarantee my dogs celebrate dog biscuit appreciation every single day 🙂  Lots of curling fans are glued to the Tournament of Hearts right now!

LOL on the quote by Shaw.  Too funny!

The meal suggestion sounds great.  We might just have it tonight.

The weather man was calling for a bit of snow last night.  He was wrong.  We got dumped on. 😱 And it’s very heavy stuff.  That’s more than enough stuff thank you Mother Nature.

3956497C-0796-4580-9312-037352472F54.jpeg.9b85804fa270b456df972b2907b89e63.jpeg

And, there’s another one coming.  I think it’s time to talk

300E6BD2-D89A-4611-AE0D-22AEB58613F0.jpeg.5ea40b62b8115b6b53d0ddb9a7f81ec9.jpeg

Poor dogs - it was tough going out there this morning with how deep it’s getting.  Lucky for Miko, Marley is undeterred with snow and cut a path for him.

957E34F8-16A7-4315-A137-D4D405EEE4BB.jpeg.bc5a73c319375fa9d333d9669163ac46.jpeg

We’ll be spending our day shovelling their path out back and our sidewalk and stuff out front.

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Wednesday everyone.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks. 😷 

• Like 29
  • Haha 1

Good morning Rich, Roy, and all the dailyites.  Although we don't have a dog, we carry a bag of dog treats in our golf cart to give to the neighborhood dogs.  One of the ladies calls it the treat cart.  I got hooked on curling during the Olympics many years ago.  Don't play but love to watch it.

Great Shaw quote.  And the meal looks wonderful. I hope you can go back to your exercise Debbie.

Prayers and virtual hugs for our care list and a big whooohooo to the celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Miami Vice:

Ingredients
2 ounces rum, divided
1 cup strawberries, chopped with stems removed
1 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 ounce simple syrup
2 ounces cream of coconut
2 ounces pineapple juice
Garnish: pineapple slice

Steps
In a blender, add 1 oz rum, the strawberries, the lime juice, the simple syrup and 1 cup crushed ice and blend until smooth.
Pour into a hurricane glass and set in the freezer.
Wash and dry the blender thoroughly.
In the clean blender, add the remaining 1 oz rum, the cream of coconut, the pineapple juice and 1 cup crushed ice and blend until smooth.
Pour into the hurricane glass that already contains the Strawberry Daiquiri, creating a layered effect.
Garnish with a pineapple slice.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 7.22.38 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Three years ago today (It's February 24 in New Zealand) the Crystal Symphony visited Lyttleton/Christchurch.  While far from Antarctica, Christchurch is the main staging point for US and New Zealand operations there.  My tour was a visit to the Antarctic Center.  On the way we passed through Christchurch where the earthquake damage was still very extensive, 7 years later:

earthquake.jpg

Soon we were at the center itself, near the airport:

us-hanger.jpg

The first part of the tour was a ride in a Hagglund, one of the modes of transport deep in Antarctica:

hagglund.jpg

The interior was very primitive but with significant restraints:

hagglund2.jpg

Our jarring ride covered a variety of terrain including a group of tires.  The weight was so evenly distributed that we did not crush the tires.

hagglund3.jpg

There were penguins but the variety native to New Zealand, and they were quite small:

penguins.jpg

Our final experience was a simulated Antarctic storm.  It was quite intense:

storm.jpg

As we left we saw one of the planes that services Antarctic bases:

antarcticplane.jpg

On the return trip we passed one of the ingenious adaptions following the earthquake, the temporary Catholic Cathedral, using beams fabricated from cardboard:

cardboard.jpg

Roy

• Like 26

42 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning Rich, Roy, and all the dailyites.  Although we don't have a dog, we carry a bag of dog treats in our golf cart to give to the neighborhood dogs.  One of the ladies calls it the treat cart.  I got hooked on curling during the Olympics many years ago.  Don't play but love to watch it.

Great Shaw quote.  And the meal looks wonderful. I hope you can go back to your exercise Debbie.

Prayers and virtual hugs for our care list and a big whooohooo to the celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Miami Vice:

Ingredients
2 ounces rum, divided
1 cup strawberries, chopped with stems removed
1 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 ounce simple syrup
2 ounces cream of coconut
2 ounces pineapple juice
Garnish: pineapple slice

Steps
In a blender, add 1 oz rum, the strawberries, the lime juice, the simple syrup and 1 cup crushed ice and blend until smooth.
Pour into a hurricane glass and set in the freezer.
Wash and dry the blender thoroughly.
In the clean blender, add the remaining 1 oz rum, the cream of coconut, the pineapple juice and 1 cup crushed ice and blend until smooth.
Pour into the hurricane glass that already contains the Strawberry Daiquiri, creating a layered effect.
Garnish with a pineapple slice.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 7.22.38 AM.png

It sounds good.  by the way a weekago last Sunday I passed through your town as I drove from Orlando to Ave Maria.  So close and yet so far.

• Like 6

Good morning Rich and my fellow DAILYITES.  Thank you for the daily fleet report and thankd to all other contibutors to the DAILY. I wonder if we will ever cruiseagain.  The goals posts keep moving farther and farther away.

• Like 14

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! What a stellar combo of days! I know someone in my house who appreciates dog biscuits every second of every day!I will not be telling her about today. 

Roy, thank you for taking care of our lists! I appreciate the shout out! The door guru discovered that the previous door had been installed backwards! 
Morning Dailyites & my Sisters.  Love the quote. Today’s drink and meal sound great. I think I am going to try yesterday’s and today’s meals with riced cauliflower instead of couscous/quinoa/rice.  

@dfish, Debbie kudos for trying out the gym.  My local gym worked with the County health folk to reopen safely: someone on every third machine, everyone clean equipment before & after use, a limited number in the weight room, and classes at 1/3 capacity with spots marked, so we could reference where we should be. And diligent cleaning. They even set up specific times of each day where anyone in the gym has to be masked. A few of us where masks even when working out. And the County make surprise visits to check on them, so they can maintain their “seal of approval”.

@bennybear, praying for a cancer free future for you, Brenda. Thank you for sharing this challenge with us. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

The most critical thing to know when you go looking for this wine is that it is a Barolo, not a “Barodo”. The next thing to know is that every released vintage has  amazing ratings, so find the best price and go for it. I found the cheapest online price of $58.99 for the 2016 vintage with one of the many online distributors. Note: the reviews are for the 2015 vintage which is drinkable now. 

Winemaker Notes

A classic style Barolo. Excellent structure, harmony, elegance. Soft tannins and balanced fruit. Approachable, but with a very long ageing potential. Barolo is such a great wine which should not be described as a “basic” or “regular” Barolo, simply because it does not have any additional indication on the label.

JS96 James Suckling: Complex aromas of smoke, ash and dark fruits with a precision and intensity. Layered and gorgeous. Loads of dark fruit and perfume. Full-bodied with round and wonderfully polished tannins. Wonderful length and richness. Goes on for minutes.

WE94 Wine Enthusiast: Camphor, cedar, mature berry and pipe tobacco aromas are front and center. The full-bodied, linear palate shows strawberry compote, wild cherry, licorice and white pepper framed in taut, fine-grained tannins. Drink 2020–2027.

• Like 22

18 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Three years ago today (It's February 24 in New Zealand) the Crystal Symphony visited Lyttleton/Christchurch.  While far from Antarctica, Christchurch is the main staging point for US and New Zealand operations there.  My tour was a visit to the Antarctic Center.  On the way we passed through Christchurch where the earthquake damage was still very extensive, 7 years later:

earthquake.jpg

Soon we were at the center itself, near the airport:

us-hanger.jpg

The first part of the tour was a ride in a Hagglund, one of the modes of transport deep in Antarctica:

hagglund.jpg

The interior was very primitive but with significant restraints:

hagglund2.jpg

Our jarring ride covered a variety of terrain including a group of tires.  The weight was so evenly distributed that we did not crush the tires.

hagglund3.jpg

There were penguins but the variety native to New Zealand, and they were quite small:

penguins.jpg

Our final experience was a simulated Antarctic storm.  It was quite intense:

storm.jpg

As we left we saw one of the planes that services Antarctic bases:

antarcticplane.jpg

On the return trip we passed one of the ingenious adaptions following the earthquake, the temporary Catholic Cathedral, using beams fabricated from cardboard:

cardboard.jpg

Roy

Roy I remember the last picture because it was on one of your "Where am I" posts. Beautiful. 

• Like 11

Good morning Rich. Lots of fun on the Daily today. Thanks a bunch.

Roy, you are in my prayers, all will be well, God is with you. 🙏

Love and hugs to my east and west coast sisters. If I knew it was dog biscuit day I would have made a batch of our "Mc Biscuits" for Paisley and Binny. Mackenzie loved those dog treats. 🐕 

I got outside and cleaned a bunch of dead plants up. The sago palms I think bit the dust. We had so many plants planted last year.. we have a 1 year warranty on them but wonder if they will be covered due to ice damage?

Today is due to be 78!! What a difference 6 days makes!! After Allen's doctor appt we are going over to Fish City Grill for lunch outdoors. 

Prayers and Cheers,

Joy

• Like 21

19 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! What a stellar combo of days! I know someone in my house who appreciates dog biscuits every second of every day!I will not be telling her about today. 

Roy, thank you for taking care of our lists! I appreciate the shout out! The door guru discovered that the previous door had been installed backwards! 
Morning Dailyites & my Sisters.  Love the quote. Today’s drink and meal sound great. I think I am going to try yesterday’s and today’s meals with riced cauliflower instead of couscous/quinoa/rice.  

@dfish, Debbie kudos for trying out the gym.  My local gym worked with the County health folk to reopen safely: someone on every third machine, everyone clean equipment before & after use, a limited number in the weight room, and classes at 1/3 capacity with spots marked, so we could reference where we should be. And diligent cleaning. They even set up specific times of each day where anyone in the gym has to be masked. A few of us where masks even when working out. And the County make surprise visits to check on them, so they can maintain their “seal of approval”.

@bennybear, praying for a cancer free future for you, Brenda. Thank you for sharing this challenge with us. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

The most critical thing to know when you go looking for this wine is that it is a Barolo, not a “Barodo”. The next thing to know is that every released vintage has  amazing ratings, so find the best price and go for it. I found the cheapest online price of $58.99 for the 2016 vintage with one of the many online distributors. Note: the reviews are for the 2015 vintage which is drinkable now. 

Winemaker Notes

A classic style Barolo. Excellent structure, harmony, elegance. Soft tannins and balanced fruit. Approachable, but with a very long ageing potential. Barolo is such a great wine which should not be described as a “basic” or “regular” Barolo, simply because it does not have any additional indication on the label.

JS96 James Suckling: Complex aromas of smoke, ash and dark fruits with a precision and intensity. Layered and gorgeous. Loads of dark fruit and perfume. Full-bodied with round and wonderfully polished tannins. Wonderful length and richness. Goes on for minutes.

WE94 Wine Enthusiast: Camphor, cedar, mature berry and pipe tobacco aromas are front and center. The full-bodied, linear palate shows strawberry compote, wild cherry, licorice and white pepper framed in taut, fine-grained tannins. Drink 2020–2027.

Ann good thing it's a red today! Approachable..like you have to sneak up on it? And camphor, pipe tobacco.. hmmm.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  What an array of days to celebrate; I always kept a box of doggie biscuits in my office in case folks walked in with their pupper; a boyfriend tried teaching me how to play tennis, but we broke up, so . . .   I curled throughout late elementary and high school, but only a couple of times as an adult.  DH did in high school, but wasn't very controlled, so could only throw "take out weight", and nearly broke rocks when he did.  LOL

@rafinmdyou have so many wonderful meals containing lamb, you're killing me!  DH doesn't care for it, so I don't make it at home, as a result the only time I really get it is if we dine out in a nice restaurant (which we haven't since this Covid thing), or are on a cruise.  I can't wait for life to return to some sense of normalcy so I can enjoy lamb on my plate once more.  As for today, I think I'm going to go with @richwmn's suggestion of the chicken stir-fry, because there are chicken breasts thawing in the fridge right now.  With a side of rice, it'll make a nice dinner for us tonight.  And wine.

Who doesn't appreciate an "approachable" wine?  LOL

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Roy.  Raising the wine glasses tonight to toast all on the happy list.  Be safe, stay well, keep warm, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 21