Viking Voucher article in Chicago News...

Porcupine 52

Interesting verbiage in the 'policy' under the guise of being some benefit to the consumer 🙄

Viking’s refund policy states: "For additional flexibility, if you are unable to use your voucher, we will automatically send you a refund equal to the original amount paid to Viking after the voucher expires."

How convenient for Viking that their policy allows them to hold on to funds, essentially equating to a loan that they're not paying interest on to the lender, and the terms of this loan are such that they don't have to repay the loan until an extended time in the future?  All the while the lender is left to wait while their funds are tied up with no tangible benefit to them.

Not surprising however, that once a national news agency got hold of the story and started asking questions that the funds were miraculously returned despite the attempts made by the passengers.

Of course this is an individual situation and many will be quick to chime in and say they've never had an issue getting a refund, but it just goes to show that not everyone's experience is going to be the same for better or worse.

• Like 1

Doesn't every cruise line/airline hold other people's money for weeks, months, even years before use?  Everyone gets at least deposits.  Last flight I booked it was paid in full at time of booking.   We have, mostly, all disliked Viking's policies at some time.  I have always said of Viking's policies I have two choices.  Agree to them or don't sail with them.  

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Doesn't every cruise line/airline hold other people's money for weeks, months, even years before use?  Everyone gets at least deposits.  Last flight I booked it was paid in full at time of booking.   We have, mostly, all disliked Viking's policies at some time.  I have always said of Viking's policies I have two choices.  Agree to them or don't sail with them.  

So true Jim. Every time I book flights, it is full payment at time of booking. Also, unless you pay extra they are non-refundable from the time booked, unless your Govt has time related cancellation laws.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:

I agree  with Jim. This is the time of our lives to cruise and terms work well if you have a few cruises booked.

I also agree!  

It does amaze me though how many people make the real effort to go on CruiseCritic and other social media to vent their displeasure and outrage.

We are after all, consumers.  Life isn't fair.  We still have the choice to go to other lines if we wish to cruise.  I wonder why people who complain keep coming back?   How come they don't just disappear over to the other lines?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

I also agree!  

It does amaze me though how many people make the real effort to go on CruiseCritic and other social media to vent their displeasure and outrage.

We are after all, consumers.  Life isn't fair.  We still have the choice to go to other lines if we wish to cruise.  I wonder why people who complain keep coming back?   How come they don't just disappear over to the other lines?

I'm surprised that with all the "real" money grabbing that  goes on this TV station goes after something like this. The terms are clear when a cruise is cancelled - I've had 5 Viking cancellations (3 under the current 125% policy). The aggrieved in this case gave up their right for a cash refund when they accepted the 125%. I'm booked into 2023 - but for my 2021 cruises, I pay when due and use credits for my 2022 and 2023 cruises in case they should be cancelled. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

I also agree!  

So true.

As comsumers, we have the money and other than taxes, we have the right to spend it as we see fit. If we aren't happy with a company, we let our money do the walking and take it elsewhere.

After many years with another cruise line, we walked, and after extensive research, happily found Viking. I see no benefit of voicing our concerns on that cruise line's Board. If someone asks specific questions, I will provide a response.

• Like 2

Agreement with policies does not preclude one from voicing concerns on potential areas for improvement.  Without critical feedback, how do companies improve?  If all feedback to the cruise line were all positive, why would they change anything going forward?

• Like 1