Vaccine

ssdot

17 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Beautiful post. I agree with Barrycat- you would make a wonderful dinner companion as would all posters on the WS board who've happily received the vaccine. The other thing I notice about you Strenz, is that you are full of wonder 🙂

We're just a nice bunch of people here.

As one who has had the pleasure of sailing with Strenz I couldn't agree more!!

• Like 1

One question I have is if (hopefully) we are required to show proof of vaccination, my county/state did not even require a drivers license to check in or register for it. A card was issued with my name on it, the date, vaccine type, "HP" which I assume is health professional, and return date. ( I covered my name in the photo) Looks like it could easily be forged. I've heard that some states have more stringent requirements and official documentation. Do you have something more?

IMG_6882.JPG

In Orange County California both of us have now received our second Pfizer shots. Prior  to both shots we needed to show driver’s licenses or state issued local addressed id’s. The information was then entered in detail into a on line data base.

Like anything else I’m sure someone is going to come up with a simple way to counterfeit the card but hopefully there will eventually be a check of the validity of real vaccination when it is critical, ie if required for travel.

Barrycat- an online data base is exactly what I was after. After we arrived our names were just ticked off  in a handwritten sheet of of paper. It's so apropos- California has it together, neighbor Oregon is sort if willy-nilly.

Thanks for the article r&fd. I guess we'll hold tight to our cards.

I read this am Crystal is cruising the Bahamas this summer and fall, we all know they are broke. They also have have a great following like WS. They are requiring the vaccine 14 days before one boards. I applaud them for going out on an ethical limb. I hope WS does the same. I hope WS reads this  because it seems from this and other posts WS alumni want a required vaccine as well. Happy Sailing

• Like 1

I don't understand the concerns about faking a card. In the US at least, and my guess is in other countries with socialized medicine, the vaccine is free. Although not widely available yet, neither are cruises. By the time we are cruising again, we will all have to be vaccinated.  

Is it probable that large numbers of people will fake a card just to travel? And if so, what import does that have for me if I'm fully vaccinated? In my opinion, very little, and I just don't see it being a big issue. 

And I agree that some sort of digital receipt will be required as border patrols for security to check as people travel. That may take awhile, I guess. 

I agree with Strenz and others  that we will not get on any ship unless they require vaccination....not just for passengers, but crew as well.  I am sure by the time we are able to cruise, they will have ironed out the method of proof for vaccination.  We have had 2 shots of Moderna, and it looks like he J&J vaccine may be more widely available very soon. Anyone who doesn’t get vaccinated is stupid as stated....and they should stay home. Really don't want them on my ship!  My concern is the ability to get off the ship and visit the proposed destinations. We are scheduled for the Caribbean on Star Pride for New Years. Do they even have the vaccine in the Caribbean islands??? I cant imagine having to pay to  join an organized tour to go to Foxys or Gertrudes on Jost Van Dyke to have a Painkiller!!!  or go shopping  in St Barths.  We are all so anxious to return to our favorite cruise line.....for us it has been 20 years with Windstar! 

• Like 2

And I don't know about the Caribbean at large but I know that the USVI are now vaccinating all adults. The elderly and vulnerable are covered and any resident can go to various sites to be vaccinated. Yes, they ask for address,etc so please don't suggest to tourists that they go down and steal a spot.

Maybe they are doing an effective job...

I support a vaccine mandate for sailing and for keeping local populations safe from cruisers. Ethically we as travelers cannot visit areas if we are a danger to them. The potential for harm is too high.

Edited by MNgardens
  • Like 2

To the question above about the Caribbean vaccines...I can only speak for the BVI, but the BVI have received large quantities of the vaccines and are offering the vaccines for anyone who wants them. There has been a pretty steady turnout. 

We are heading down there this Wednesday for 10-days on Jost Van Dyke and have been following the latest news closely. They've also had zero active cases for about a month or two now with entry protocols, which we are following.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, minidonuts85 said:

To the question above about the Caribbean vaccines...I can only speak for the BVI, but the BVI have received large quantities of the vaccines and are offering the vaccines for anyone who wants them. There has been a pretty steady turnout. 

We are heading down there this Wednesday for 10-days on Jost Van Dyke and have been following the latest news closely. They've also had zero active cases for about a month or two now with entry protocols, which we are following.

So jealous minidonuts85....Have a wonderful trip, and do let us know how Jost is doing!

I am looking out my window and watching the snow fall. 10 days on Jost sounds like heaven!

It makes sense to get vaccinated as many people as possible on the tiny islands of the Caribbean. For example, with only one hospital each on St Thomas and St Croix, there is no overflow capacity or other hospitals that very sick people can be transferred to. The hospitals are still damaged from Irma and Maria. An outbreak could become dire very quickly. I am guessing the situation is similar in the BVI.

I have been wanting to get back to the USVI to visit family but I will be waiting until I get vaccinated. I would hate to inadvertently get someone sick.

edited: That wasn't a slam on Minidonuts. The BVI have a strict protocols in place that is very good at protecting their population

Edited by MNgardens

We are following all of their protocols including a 4-day quarantine in our bungalow at the Perfect Pineapple behind Gertrudes. Very large covered and furnished patio to sit on and a yard with a view to enjoy. Soggy, Gertrudes and Coco Locos will all deliver hot food and drinks to us with a phone call and the fridge will be full with provisions upon arrival; not too shabby!

We usually go twice a year for two weeks in Spring and for Old Years. Old Years cancelled last year so here we are in March. They are struggling; physically healthy but mentally its been tough...white bay is "days of old" peaceful right now so it will be great to experience that, but a quiet beach doesnt help on the revenue side of things. Most of our luggage packed is gifts for our friends there-guitar strings, hair products, arts and craft kits for the kids, chocolate, a dog house and steaks (yes steaks).

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 9:52 PM, Petoonya said:

One question I have is if (hopefully) we are required to show proof of vaccination, my county/state did not even require a drivers license to check in or register for it. A card was issued with my name on it, the date, vaccine type, "HP" which I assume is health professional, and return date. ( I covered my name in the photo) Looks like it could easily be forged. I've heard that some states have more stringent requirements and official documentation. Do you have something more?

IMG_6882.JPG

I'm bringing my yellow shot record card issued by the CDC that has all of my vaccinations for traveling in the Amazon (yellow fever, malaria, etc.) and other third world countries and have them stamp that card when we get our 2nd shot on 1 April.  Trying to keep it simple with only one shot record card to deal with in our travels.

On 3/12/2021 at 11:01 AM, Pudgesmom said:

Is it probable that large numbers of people will fake a card just to travel? And if so, what import does that have for me if I'm fully vaccinated? In my opinion, very little, and I just don't see it being a big issue. 

That is a huge problem. If someone forge a certificate and that person get Covid 9 or flulike symptom, it's bye bye cruise for all aboard.

• Like 1

Bonjour Dandee, Precisely one case on a ship, all over, ship goes to the closest port that will have  them, passengers unloaded, accommodations and flights found, it will make headlines, voilà, the cancellations roll rapidly in. It makes no sense to me whatsoever not to have the policy no vaccine no go. J'espère que le Québec va ouvrir ses frontières bientôt. Happy Sailing, Bon Croisière. 

• Like 1

Bonjour Strenz. Hope all is well. No opening of the border at least until May. We're starting the 3rd wave but cases have stabilized enough that our curfew is now extended 21h30-5h. Not a big deal in winter when it's cold and dark. Mom got first dose last week, 2nd dose planned for July 1st. Mine is scheduled for late April. They don't give receipt or card or anything after the vaccination - everything is centralized with our health card. So, we will not have a "proof" of vaccination for a while which is problematic if we want to travel.

We just got our flight refund last week for our cancelled cruise last August in Europe (12-day, not Windstar). We kinda decided that we will not cruise in Europe for a few year and will do land vacation instead (rental car, B&B, etc). BUT, we might got back to Polynesia in 2022 (if the rate are good - they are not right now and the canadian $ at 0.80). We are not retired yet and have many more years of cruising to come - just not at any price :-). Bonne soirée et beaucoup de croisières.

On 3/15/2021 at 5:52 PM, minidonuts85 said:

We are following all of their protocols including a 4-day quarantine in our bungalow at the Perfect Pineapple behind Gertrudes. Very large covered and furnished patio to sit on and a yard with a view to enjoy. Soggy, Gertrudes and Coco Locos will all deliver hot food and drinks to us with a phone call and the fridge will be full with provisions upon arrival; not too shabby!

We usually go twice a year for two weeks in Spring and for Old Years. Old Years cancelled last year so here we are in March. They are struggling; physically healthy but mentally its been tough...white bay is "days of old" peaceful right now so it will be great to experience that, but a quiet beach doesnt help on the revenue side of things. Most of our luggage packed is gifts for our friends there-guitar strings, hair products, arts and craft kits for the kids, chocolate, a dog house and steaks (yes steaks).

Gertrude and Olga are two of our very favorite people.  Lots of great memories.  You're doing a great thing packing those extra bits. After the hurricane we traveled on the Surf with Strenz and both brought school supplies, feminine needs, dental hygiene items, and more to the smaller islands including seeds to Barbuda for planting. We also went on a shopping "spree" in Barbados to buy loads of toilet paper and heavier items in addition to what we brought from the states! Had to explain to customs that we were not setting up a commercial store! Good on you and enjoy your stay!

• Like 2