half moon cay pier construction?

cbowls30

Hi all, HMC obtained permission to build a pier on the island, which was supposed to start construction in 2020 but i'm guessing due to COVID it has not begun? Anybody know what's happening with that and if/when they are going to start construction. We are stopping there October 2022 and hoping the pier has been construction by then, the last time we were supposed to stop there but it was cancelled because of bad weather they could not operate the tender.

On 2/24/2021 at 7:21 AM, cbowls30 said:

Hi all, HMC obtained permission to build a pier on the island, which was supposed to start construction in 2020 but i'm guessing due to COVID it has not begun? Anybody know what's happening with that and if/when they are going to start construction. We are stopping there October 2022 and hoping the pier has been construction by then, the last time we were supposed to stop there but it was cancelled because of bad weather they could not operate the tender.

Your post is news for me.  How did you learn that HAL had obtained permission to build a pier?  I cannot envision where a pier could be built without a major alteration of the facilities that are now present.  

It was reported on lots of cruise led sites and media etc they had obtained permission to build a pier and they were supposed to start construction in 2020.

Google it, plenty of online articles about it.

• Like 1

Personally, I see no reason for a dock.  Their tendering arrangements work well and surely have improved during the years.  Shelters have improved for those waiting to embark a tender when they return to the ship.  Could more be done in that venue, i.e. seating rather than standing?  Certainly.  Money spent for such would be better spent than the cost of building a dock and the dredging the sea floor (and maintaining that) in order to allow a ship to dock.  

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2021 at 8:16 PM, rkacruiser said:

Personally, I see no reason for a dock.  Their tendering arrangements work well and surely have improved during the years.  Shelters have improved for those waiting to embark a tender when they return to the ship.  Could more be done in that venue, i.e. seating rather than standing?  Certainly.  Money spent for such would be better spent than the cost of building a dock and the dredging the sea floor (and maintaining that) in order to allow a ship to dock.  

I agree completely. There is no need. A pier/dock would be very expensive and would have great negative impact on the fragile ecology of the island.. Please don't ruin this beautiful location.

Edited by jimgev
spelling
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...