Glasgow to Southampton by train

ashhill

Haven't done Southampton to Glasgow, but in 2017, we did Southampton to Leuchars (St Andrews). It required a change in Birmingham, which was interesting, as we had to change platforms and only had about 10 - 15 minutes.

No regrets, longer than flying, but more comfortable.

We take a train from the Lake District, which has started in Glasgow, and change either at Birmingham or Wolverhampton- Wolves is better because the Southampton train leaves from either the same, or next platform. 

The same returning- so far we've never missed the 08 15 north out of S'ton,  and change onto the Glasgow train at Wolverhampton- usually a 20 min break, which is handy to nip to the buffet to buy a coffee. ( We need it, as our next change is at Lancaster to catch the world's slowest train up the Cumbrian coast- no buffet and stopping at every village. 😮 ).

On 2/24/2021 at 3:29 PM, ashhill said:

Has anyone travelled by train to Southampton from Glasgow to catch a cruise ?

Booked on Sky Princess next March and would like to travel by train and not fly 

Thanks for any replies 

I haven't done this journey but I would def try National Rail Enquiries' search engine. March 2022 is too far ahead to get a quote but it will give an idea of cost, journey times and changes at Lancaster and Wolves. I picked 2 random Sundays, leaving Glasgow at 09:34 and arr at Southampton 16:42. The return trip also takes about 7 hours leaving Southampton at say, 14:20. £184 return. Here's the link :-

https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search# 

Another option worth considering is National Express coaches. They're closed down at the moment due to Covid but their search engine will quote for say May. The journey is 12 hours but the cost is £107 return. The £77 you save, could pay for a nice B&B at Southampton on the day before? Here's the link :- https://book.nationalexpress.com/coach/#/choose-journey

Edited by Bertie Doe
correct cost amount
  • Like 1

Not that dissimilar but we are looking at Newcastle to Southampton options.

The train is a pain. Either change in London or Brum ... anywhere between 6 and 8 hours .... costings are circa £175 single, pp ... plus an arm and a leg taking a taxi across London to change stations. Mr Google says take the tube but Mr Google hasn’t got suitcases 😁

LoganAir ... direct flight ... 75mins ... flexible ticket with extra baggage allowance  .. £77pp.

Flying is not for everyone but that saving is paying for a pre-cruise hotel.

Now is probably not the time to be looking as trains are running

short of seats  so prices have doubled? trebled?  and maybe not

running at times you need.

Having said that we live in preston and have twice used avanti to

Birmingham and Crosscountry  Birmingham to Southampton.

I would want to go the day before sailing and stay over.

Lots of hotels in Southampton but suggest you book  a fully cancelable

stay  early as the prices go up on cruise days.  Think 3/4 ships on

the same day.

The train worked pretty well, they had advance tickets on all legs and

wait in Birmingham was around 30 mins (on same platform) 

From Glasgow  an alternate plan might be to get down to

Birmingham , stay one night then early start next day to Southampton.

We are booked on a cruise in August - dont think it will go but

have set up the hotel. Hadnt looked at trains - prices now are

frightening- should be better for you by March

6 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

LoganAir ... direct flight ... 75mins ... flexible ticket with extra baggage allowance  .. £77pp.

Last year we had booked Explorer 2 Iceland/Norway in August. First casualty was Flybe and the credit card came to the rescue. Like you we opted for Loganair and the price was reasonable, £110 return Exeter to Newcastle, direct flight for ! hour 15 mins. Exeter parking £45 for 2 weeks.

When Loganair cancelled, they refunded pretty quick, no quibble. I will use them again.

• 3 weeks later...

We are going in June 2022 on the Queen Mary and I was hoping that Eavesway would take us from Newcastle to Southampton.  We went by train last time and it was ok, apart from the London change over, however it would be lovely to get to Southampton and just get on a smashing Eavesway coach to go home.  Someone told me that Eavesway don't operate for Cunard any more.  I really do think there is a gap in the market here, all these people in the north trying to get to Southampton!

.  I really do think there is a gap in the market here, all these people in the north trying to get to Southampton!”

That’s the issue ... we live north of Watford and therefore don’t really count 😂 

27 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

.  I really do think there is a gap in the market here, all these people in the north trying to get to Southampton!”

That’s the issue ... we live north of Watford and therefore don’t really count 😂 

I failed Maths as well but passed Geography - where's Watford?

1 hour ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Haha!! wow, shows how wrong I was. I always thought it was Hadrian's Wall😀

5 hours ago, Sox113 said:

We are going in June 2022 on the Queen Mary and I was hoping that Eavesway would take us from Newcastle to Southampton.  We went by train last time and it was ok, apart from the London change over, however it would be lovely to get to Southampton and just get on a smashing Eavesway coach to go home.  Someone told me that Eavesway don't operate for Cunard any more.  I really do think there is a gap in the market here, all these people in the north trying to get to Southampton!

As far as I know, Eavesway still run coaches to Southampton... we used one after Inter cruises took over the contract from Cunard/P&O etc, although that was down the west coast. If you google them, they have booking forms on line- I  don't know if Newcastle is mentioned, but they're offering cruise coaches TO Newcastle for Fred O and Marella, so are probably doing the Edinburgh/N/C route to Southampton. 

Well worth adding Skyscanner to faves (if you haven't already done so). At the moment, Loganair run this route, so £172 pp return is a bit pricey. However, once 'normality' returns 🤐 and BA return to compete, you may find prices come down :-

https://www.skyscanner.net/transport/flights/glas/sou/210417/210425/?adultsv2=1&cabinclass=economy&childrenv2=&inboundaltsenabled=false&outboundaltsenabled=false&preferdirects=true&preferflexible=false&rtn=1 

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2021 at 9:16 PM, jocap said:

As far as I know, Eavesway still run coaches to Southampton... we used one after Inter cruises took over the contract from Cunard/P&O etc, although that was down the west coast. If you google them, they have booking forms on line- I  don't know if Newcastle is mentioned, but they're offering cruise coaches TO Newcastle for Fred O and Marella, so are probably doing the Edinburgh/N/C route to Southampton. 

I checked at the weekend and the cost from Leeds/Bradford/Barnsley was £50 per person each way. Due to COVID there were reduced pick ups. We are sailing with Celebrity and they go to the City terminal. Inter cruises do not deal with Celebrity.

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 8:30 AM, MBP&O2/O said:

Not that dissimilar but we are looking at Newcastle to Southampton options.

The train is a pain. Either change in London or Brum ... anywhere between 6 and 8 hours .... costings are circa £175 single, pp ... plus an arm and a leg taking a taxi across London to change stations. Mr Google says take the tube but Mr Google hasn’t got suitcases 😁

I always get the train down, and have never paid anywhere near £175 for a single, and thats in 1st.  I always book early through LNER.  Also, if you are travelling with someone else, well worth buying a 2together card, as it gives you a third off the fare, making it even cheaper. 

Just checked, and my next trip is in August, and for 2 returns going 1st, I paid £154.40 to London, and the fare from London to Southampton can be had from £10 if you get the slower train. 

9 hours ago, Elaine0138 said:

We looked at the train for going to Southampton in July but too many changes with luggage, and coming home on a Sunday could be a nightmare with engineering works. We have decided to drive down. 

The schedules must have changed since we did Southampton to Leuchars. We only changed once in Birmingham, but it certainly wasn't easy making the change in about 15 mins with luggage.

When I left the ships in Southampton, I always hired a car and drove up - way faster than the train, but that was long before the days of photo radar.

We usually travel to Southampton by train.Once we used The Baggage Handling company to pick up our luggage from home (next time you see it its on the ship) and that worked quite well.Quite expensive but less stressful than having to find somewhere to put luggage etc

My wife and I have travelled from Edinburgh or Glasgow to Southampton quite a few times by  train, its always our preferred way. Change at Wolverhampton however if you miss the connection then you have to wait an hour for the next one. The first time we did it we travelled on the same day and because of delays we were the last 2 on the ship, so always travel the day before and stay overnight in a hotel.

In June 2016 we drove to Southampton, it took about 4 hours+ inc one stop. At the time, I resolved to give the train a go. The train time including changes is about 4 hrs 30min. Just done a dummy run on the GWR site and found they do an off-peak return for about £160 for 2 passengers, arriving midday on the outbound section. 

CPS parking plus petrol is a tad more than this, so I'm very tempted to let the 'train take the strain' on our next booked Southampton cruise.