Glasgow to Southampton by train

ashhill

We did train to Southampton by train, changed at Wolverhampton and everything was on time, but the luggage space was horrendous.

We,ve also driven which wasn’t as bad as we thought it would be. 
And last time we flew but that was when Flybe were still in operation.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for all the information. Loganair haven't released their dates for next March but should do in a weeks time. Didn't know about the bus from Glasgow and got a price of £290 a return which sounds reasonable. Does anyone know what time the pickup is from Glasgow and where is the pickup point 

Thanks again for all the replies 

3 hours ago, ashhill said:

Thanks everyone for all the information. Loganair haven't released their dates for next March but should do in a weeks time.

I notice that Loganair's Glasgow to Soton return are £246. Flying time 1hr 20min each way. If the prices in March are the same, that's pretty reasonable.

1 hour ago, Bertie Doe said:

I notice that Loganair's Glasgow to Soton return are £246. Flying time 1hr 20min each way. If the prices in March are the same, that's pretty reasonable.

I suppose it depends on your definition of reasonable.  I can fly to the Canaries and back for less than that!

On our first cruise, back in the late 1990s, we travelled from Manchester ro Southampton by train. It was fine but, since then, we've preferred to drive down the day before. Last cruise, a couple of years back, we found a lovely hotel about 30 miles north of the city. Had a nice dinner there, a relaxed Full English the next morning and a short drive to the port, where we left the car with one of the parking companies. And, of course, no messing about on your return - straight into the car and off. 

Have done Edinburgh-Southampton (and back) on a number of occasions.   Pre-pandemic, XC used to do a direct from Newcastle - Southampton Central.   However, not being a fan of London, and a non-flyer, I've found the easiest way would be Edinburgh / Glasgow Central - Birmingham International, then Birmingham International - Southampton.   Much less chaotic - and no distance to run between platforms compared to New Street.

I am hoping to travel to Southampton via coach using Intercruises. However their website does not allow me to enter Port/Ship/Date details so that I may make a booking.

Have they not restarted their operations yet ??

Out of curiosity I just had a look for Glasgow train tickets.  Found one (times dates were random, so not the dates you want) and it is only £132.90 return for 2 adults to London, then about £30 from London to Southampton. 

2 hours ago, davemorton said:

Out of curiosity I just had a look for Glasgow train tickets.  Found one (times dates were random, so not the dates you want) and it is only £132.90 return for 2 adults to London, then about £30 from London to Southampton. 

What dates are you looking for Dave?

4 hours ago, Bertie Doe said:

What dates are you looking for Dave?

Just re-read your post, I wasnt looking for any dates, I was just curious how much the train was from Glasgow to S/ton....A lot cheaper than I though.